Cops should be above the law I guess

Fr. Dougal

Feb 17, 2004
This guy had a great point:

http://p086.ezboard.com/quotProfess...writingcopsfrm2.showMessage?topicID=151.topic

I'm not a cop, and I don't come from a family of cops. I'm just a regular guy. I go to work, support my family, and mind my own business. However, I'm just flabbergasted by the very existence of this website. I'd heard rumors that police would give other cops lighter tickets, but I had no idea that situations like in the DotM (84 in a 55? Are you kidding?) would be expected to end without a ticket due to "professional courtesy."

If the citizenry is to respect the work police officers do, then police officers have to deserve respect -- they must display integrity. Resting on the laurels of "oh, but we might have to tackle a rampaging gunman someday" doesn't cut it - the vast majority of police will never have a shot fired at them during their careers.

We've all seen more than enough footage of corrupt, power-tripping cops. There are plenty of good people out there wearing the uniform, but when they show integrity by treating a dangerous off-duty or retired cop in the same way they'd treat a dangerous off-duty or retired lawyer, doctor, or accountant, this site shames them for it.

Frankly, from the perspective of a "civilian," the "Dick of the Month" feature seems to be an honor roll of the few cops left who actually have the guts to stand up to the peer pressure and corruption and do the job they're paid to do.

If you are one of the cops who thinks immunity from the law is a perk that comes with your occupation, let me disabuse you of that notion. If you can't manage to follow the law, you clearly aren't good enough to handle the job of enforcing it. Step aside and let someone with a little integrity fill that uniform.
I heard a dick cop story recently.
The mother of one of my sister's friends was going to pick up her daughter... at a friend's house she'd never been to before. She was driving slow, while looking for the house in question. A Yonkers cop pulled her over and accused her point blank of being drunk because "no one sober would be driving that slow" (or words to that effect).

He proceded to make her get out of the car, and gave her a field sobriety test, then had the gall to yell at her when she tried to explain what was going on.

Hoagie

I suggest you tread lightly
Wackbag Staff
Mar 24, 2004
Your Mom's box
Cops across the country are badly underpaid for their efforts. If they want to take some liberties with the speed limit and not get tickets for it, I say let them. It should be one of the perks of an otherwise challenging and badly underpaying job.

vice86

How do I look, Denny?
Nov 22, 2004
NYC/PA
Cops across the country are badly underpaid for their efforts. If they want to take some liberties with the speed limit and not get tickets for it, I say let them. It should be one of the perks of an otherwise challenging and badly underpaying job.

still no excuse...sure, maybe a ticket here and there....but some want free dinners and other shit...like they're fucking God or something and deserve royal treatment....they're policemen...there JOB is to make sure everyone observes the laws.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
They know what they are getting into. They accept the responsibility that comes with the badge. If they don't like, they shouldn't have become a cop, or if it's different than what they imagined they are free to leave. I didn't think it was like the military where they had to sign a contract & serve their time.

Are they underpaid? I'm sure SOME are. But I'm also sure there are others that take advantage of the system. Should an on-duty cop be text messaging me because he's bored? No. He should probably be out looking for some juvenile delinquents or drunk drivers, not hanging out in his car in some empty parking lot.

abudabit

New Wackbag
Oct 10, 2004
If it is safe and ok for a cop to do 80 it is safe and ok for a civ to do 80. If it is unsafe to do 80 then the cop is risking lives and needs to be ticketed.

vice86

How do I look, Denny?
Nov 22, 2004
NYC/PA
If it is safe and ok for a cop to do 80 it is safe and ok for a civ to do 80. If it is unsafe to do 80 then the cop is risking lives and needs to be ticketed.

Werd...i know a PA and NJ State Trooper...both say they drive fast because they can...dur.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
vice86 said:
still no excuse...sure, maybe a ticket here and there....but some want free dinners and other shit...like they're fucking God or something and deserve royal treatment....they're policemen...there JOB is to make sure everyone observes the laws.
MOST cops do not expect freebies such as dinners and stuff. In most jurisdictions, it's actually against regulations for them to accept these things. That's not to say they don't do it, but "technically" they're not supposed to. My brother-in-law is NYPD-retired and in the 20 years he was on the job, he said he was offered just about everything under the sun but wasn't able to take "most" of it. He'd accept a cup of coffee or something small like that every once in awhile, but that's about it. The other cops that I know are the same way. They're not about to risk their jobs for a lobster dinner or whatever.

The website disclaimer states "This is a site for officers getting traffic tickets that ANY normal civilian could get a warning on, verbal or written"

If that's the case, then they're not asking for any special treatment other than what the average john or jane doe would receive.

BTW- "professional courtesy" exists in just about every faction of the work force, not just law enforcement.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
Some of these motherfuckers on this site are bitching that their wives and children got tickets. Holy shit.

vice86

How do I look, Denny?
Nov 22, 2004
NYC/PA
Some of these motherfuckers on this site are bitching that their wives and children got tickets. Holy shit.

lol...i know. I wonder what the reasoning is in their heads that they think because they're the police...that their whole family should get the fringe benefits too....why?

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
considering i get around 300 dollarsa year in bullshit nothing tickets so these guys can build a bigger po po station..

atleast obey the law yourself. Its not fair you can speed, and every other thing... and you ticket me for stupid shit like lettering on a truck, seat belts, talking on my phone... Im honestly sick of all these new laws designed to get money off the honest people thathave a license,are insured and inspected...

I just shook my head the otherday walking into Voorhees police station to pay my latest seat belt ticket... It looked like the fucking Taj Mahal....most cops suck . coruption is all it is... so atleast give them tickets for dangerous laws they break.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
Around where I live every cop is the kind of guy who got beat up in high school and joined the force so he could bully the rest of the world because of his shitty time.

That's right, I said every cop in Wylie, Texas is this way. I'm talking DWIs for people that pass the breathalyzer just to fuck with them, pulling people over and holding them on the side of the road for an hour+ for no reason, etc.

I've personally had to beat two DWIs from them, and not a god damn thing was done to the cop (same guy both times) who arrested me, and I damn sure didn't get my court costs or attorney fees back. In fact, the fuckers actually intentionally sent a summons to the wrong address for a hearing to "see whether or not I was a safety risk" because I TOLD THE MOTHER FUCKER after I was in cuffs that I had a loaded gun in my trunk, and if he was going to impound my car I'd rather not leave it accessible to the towing retards. Yes, Wylie PD now owns my Sig Sauer 226 .40.

Detectives and other real cops are ok, traffic cops are the most worthless form of human being that exists in this world. I'd rather live next door to a convicted murderer and/or pedophile than a fucking traffic cop.

Capt.Caveman

Totally unlikeable
Jan 13, 2005
closer to a playground then allowed by law
Letting them out of tickets is a professional courtesy, some businesses give cops free coffee and food just to be there. When I lived in San Diego a lot of places did this. It's worth it the mexican street gangs will rob somewhere else

Myhairygrundle

Screw you guys, I'm going home.
Jul 16, 2005
Texas
If you work at McDonald's you get to eat free burgers.
If you work in retail, you get an employee discount.

Every job has perks, so if some off duty cop wants to drive faster than me I could give a shit...they are the ones who get shot at during their job...

Speed all the fuck you want...

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas

ImAlrightSpider

I paid $2 a month for O&A and I LIKED it!
Feb 20, 2006
Natick, MA
#1 - No. You do not get to break laws just because you are one of those responsible for enforcing them.

#2 - Cops are underpaid? I don't think so. They make upwards of $100,000 around here when you count all of the detail work they get. There is an annually published list of the top 100 city employee wages where I work. 70 of them are always cops. There are 78 cops on the force.

#3 - I have a huge amount of respect for the police. I work in an area where you see 12 year olds shouting in the faces of cops. If 12 year olds do that, then I am sure that their older brothers do much worse. I lose respect for them when they decide to break the laws that they are supposed to enforce.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
considering i get around 300 dollarsa year in bullshit nothing tickets so these guys can build a bigger po po station..

atleast obey the law yourself. Its not fair you can speed, and every other thing... and you ticket me for stupid shit like lettering on a truck, seat belts, talking on my phone... Im honestly sick of all these new laws designed to get money off the honest people thathave a license,are insured and inspected...

I just shook my head the otherday walking into Voorhees police station to pay my latest seat belt ticket... It looked like the fucking Taj Mahal....most cops suck . coruption is all it is... so atleast give them tickets for dangerous laws they break.
Your LATEST seat belt ticket? Wearing a seat belt and not talking on the cell phone are safety issues. Just how many of those have you gotten??? If you were to wear a seat belt and buy a blue tooth, that's two less "stupid" tickets you'd be getting. The new laws were put into place to save lives, not to make money off of honest licensed people with insurance and inspected vehicles. And I'm sure that the cops are wearing seat belts when they drive, even in their private vehicles. Hopefully they're wearing the blue tooth headset when on their phones.

Professional courtesy usually does extend to the officers' families. That's why wives usually carry a smaller shield with their husband's number on it. I had a PBA card from my brother-in-law which when I was stopped I'd hand over along with my license, registration and court peace officer i.d. Many times I don't even have to do that - they see my Court Officers sticker on the front windshield and let me off with a warning. But when it doesn't work, like when I was in Virginia Beach and the cop just had an axe to grind with New Yorkers in general - the options are either pay the fine or plead not guilty and hope the ADA assigned will let you plead to a lesser count.

Nobody expects that a cop or any member of his family is going to get a pass on serious stuff like DWI's, but if the average Jane or John Doe were to run a stop sign & get off with a warning, there's nothing wrong with that same courtesy being extended to a cop or his family.

I guess having benefited from professional courtesy, I've got a different perspective on it though.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
#1 - No. You do not get to break laws just because you are one of those responsible for enforcing them.

#2 - Cops are underpaid? I don't think so. They make upwards of $100,000 around here when you count all of the detail work they get. There is an annually published list of the top 100 city employee wages where I work. 70 of them are always cops. There are 78 cops on the force.

#3 - I have a huge amount of respect for the police. I work in an area where you see 12 year olds shouting in the faces of cops. If 12 year olds do that, then I am sure that their older brothers do much worse. I lose respect for them when they decide to break the laws that they are supposed to enforce.
In New York City, after starting at $25,100, a police officer's salary jumps to $32,700 after six months. After 5 1/2 years on the job, cops can make up to $59,588.

Definitely not a lot of money for a person who is putting his (or her) life on the line every time he's on patrol. Not all cops can do overtime because of family obligations. Yeah, they get a night differential, but again, depending on the situation at home they may not be able to do that either. So they're stuck making crap money and hoping they pass the Detectives or Sergeant's exams because that's where the money is - above the blue shirted ranks.

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005

They can speed because they've had high speed driving training. And your just being a dumb driver. There are laws out there for your safety and other drivers safety. If you don't like the laws don't drive. I don't want to get hit by you and find out you were on your fucking phone. Your whole post is ridiculous. I can't believe you think cops are shitty people cause you can't drive. Thanks for posting your dribble, I needed a good laugh.

bill333

Go Screw!
Mar 23, 2005
Orange County,NY - Hudson Valley
My father was a police officer for over 40 years and I'll admit I got out of a couple speeding tickets, but no crazy speed.
My best friend is a cop and we came home from a bar one night. We got pulled over twice, in 10 minutes ,and he just said "Hey, so and so, how's it going?" They just said "Hey, John, didn't know it was you, have a good night."

I told him I hated him, he said it's good to be the king.

Before you say anything, he is the type that will let most off as long as they are courteous and not in danger of causing an accident. He hates the dickhead cops who give tickets for everything.

Nov 29, 2006
FL
Before you say anything, he is the type that will let most off as long as they are courteous and not in danger of causing an accident. He hates the dickhead cops who give tickets for everything.
Exactly.... we all hate those cops, but every story on that site has some kind of excuse. The same goddamned excuses that we all give to every cop every time we get stopped and we all get tickets anyway. There's an asshole on that site that nominated a cop for Dick of the Month because he gave a "close family friend" a ticket. What the fuck?

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
They can speed because they've had high speed driving training. And your just being a dumb driver. There are laws out there for your safety and other drivers safety. If you don't like the laws don't drive. I don't want to get hit by you and find out you were on your fucking phone. Your whole post is ridiculous. I can't believe you think cops are shitty people cause you can't drive. Thanks for posting your dribble, I needed a good laugh.
bwaahhaaaaha!

right back atcha...

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
Cops should be able to break the law with impunity? Why?

Because their jobs are dangerous? Their job isn't even in the top 10 of the most dangerous occupations. So, should Bering Sea Crab fisherman be able to break the law? After all, their job is more dangerous, right? If not, why not?

Because they 'serve and protect'? What about firemen? Should firemen be able to break the law whenever they want? If not, why not?

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
Cops should be able to break the law with impunity? Why?

Because their jobs are dangerous? Their job isn't even in the top 10 of the most dangerous occupations. So, should Bering Sea Crab fisherman be able to break the law? After all, their job is more dangerous, right? If not, why not?

Because they 'serve and protect'? What about firemen? Should firemen be able to break the law whenever they want? If not, why not?
Nobody is allowed to break the law. Police officers are given warnings more often than the public because they have a dangerous job. No cop is gonna be let off of a murder cause he's a cop. But if he gets stopped for speeding he is more likely to get a warning. I've been stopped more than ten times for speeding and only got one ticket. Most of the time if you respect the cop and aren't an asshole you will also get a warning. And a cop is probably the most dangerous job. Just cause there are only 100 crab fisherman in the U.S. and one dies that statistic is higher than twenty cops who get shot because there are thousands and thousands of cops. Statistics are stupid. If your in a bank and someone comes in with a gun most people lay down and wait for their fate. A cop will stand up and try to save your life. And for that I don't care what they do as long as they are helping to protect the descent fucking humans living in this country. Only criminals and dumbasses think the cops are picking on them and getting away with everything.