Corrections officer killed at federal prison in Wayne County

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Corrections officer killed at federal prison in Wayne County

A corrections officer from Nanticoke was killed by an inmate at a federal prison in Wayne County on Monday night in what officials say was a highly unusual murder targeting a guard, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
Officials say Eric Williams, 34, was killed by an inmate who used a homemade weapon at the U.S. Penitentiary at Canaan, a high-security prison for men. He was transported to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead about 11:30 p.m.
Authorities have not released the name of the attacker.
"This is clearly the darkest day in our institution's short history, and we are in shock over this senseless loss of a colleague and friend," Warden David Ebbert said in a statement.
Bureau of Prisons spokesman Chris Burke said the prison, which opened in 2005, remained in lockdown Tuesday and that the FBI is investigating the attack. He deferred comment on potential charges to the U.S. attorney's office, which declined to comment, citing an ongoing investigation.
Working alone
Officer Williams was working alone in a unit housing about 130 inmates and was preparing to lock them into their cells for a nightly headcount when he was attacked, said Philip Glover, the northeast regional vice president for the guards' union, the American Federation of Government Employees Council of Prison Locals.
Officer Williams, who would have been equipped with only a radio, keys and handcuffs, was beaten and stabbed repeatedly with a homemade knife, Mr. Glover said.
When Officer Williams failed to leave the housing unit after the count, another officer grew suspicious and found him, Mr. Glover said. It wasn't clear how long it took the other officer to realize Officer Williams was in distress, he said.
http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/co...d-at-federal-prison-in-wayne-county-1.1450710

The Funeral Sucked.
What sucked worse was that the officer that thought something was amiss, took his life at a shooting range yesterday..RIP Medic # 456

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I heard about this last week.

I do my best to make it known to these new kids (and that's what they are, chronologically and mentally) that this shit is no joke. Just like on a motorcycle, you are ultimately responsible for your own safety in a prison setting. Fuck around with people's lives and take risks you ought not to can get you killed, and more importantly, get me killed. Just last week, we damn near had a riot over some dumb shit.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I heard about this last week.

I do my best to make it known to these new kids (and that's what they are, chronologically and mentally) that this shit is no joke. Just like on a motorcycle, you are ultimately responsible for your own safety in a prison setting. Fuck around with people's lives and take risks you ought not to can get you killed, and more importantly, get me killed. Just last week, we damn near had a riot over some dumb shit.
Doesnt seem like the guy did something to put his safety at risk himself from the way the story reads the prison is grossly understaffed if he is not only working an entire unit by himself but handling getting the inmates in their cells alone as well. This is an assumption but I get the feeling this guy might not of been well liked by the inmates to not only be attacked but none of the inmates helped him. From the COs i know if you earn the inmates respect by treating them fairly and like people they usually will have your back if something happens, it doesnt hurt that if they do help you it may benefit them in some way.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
This guy was killed by administration just as much as those with the weapons. THAT is who is taking the risks that they ought not.

I was taught from an early age, the primary difference between minimum and maximum was ink on a page, a stroke of a pen could turn one into another. The custody system is so fucked here. And I was routinely left alone with 256 "minimums." They act like fucking animals because there is fuck all you can do with them.