Corzine to Freeze New Jersey Spending, Tolls Could to be Increased

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
TRENTON, NJ (AP) -- New Jersey Gov. Jon S. Corzine will vow Tuesday not to let spending increase in the next budget as he unveils his plan to tackle state fiscal woes by increasing highway tolls, a person close to the governor told The Associated Press.

Corzine's dramatic promise to freeze state spending at this fiscal year's $33.47 billion level will come with the state facing a projected $3 billion budget deficit and amid his plans to increase state aid for schools by $533 million.

But the person, who has knowledge of Corzine's intentions but requested anonymity to not upstage the governor's Tuesday speech to the Legislature, said Corzine wants to emphasize his goal of revamping long-troubled state finances.

The official close to Corzine described the plan to freeze state spending ``as the initial step to resetting the clock on the state's finances.''

If the Democratic governor keeps the state budget at this fiscal year's $33.47 billion level, it will mark only the second time since 1992 that state spending hasn't increased from one year to the next.

Under his financial restructuring set to be detailed Tuesday in his State of the State address, the Democratic governor, a former Goldman Sachs chairman, wants to eventually pay down at least $32 billion in debt and find money to improve aging roads and bridges.

He hasn't said how much tolls may increase on the Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike, but the state transportation commissioner has said a 45 percent increase is needed just to widen the turnpike and fix bridges on it and the parkway.

State spending has increased from $27.9 billion to $33.47 billion since Corzine took office in January 2006, though Corzine has said most of that increase has come from obligated health care and public worker retirement benefit costs.

The projected $3 billion budget deficit is for the fiscal year that starts July 1.

The increased public school aid is part of Corzine's proposed new school funding formula set for final Monday votes by the Legislature.

Corzine had already signaled his intent to control spending.

In October, Corzine asked his Cabinet to find ways to cut $3 billion from the state budget, though a Treasury spokesman recently said no decision has been made on what to cut. Corzine is scheduled to introduce his budget to the Legislature on Feb. 26.

New Jersey's debt has doubled since 2000 and makes the state the nation's fourth-most indebted state.
Most of that debt was rung up before Corzine became governor through borrowing to, among other things, provide pensions for public workers and balance the state budget.

Debt consumes about 10 percent of the current state budget, a figure Corzine predicts will rise in years ahead and prevent the state from investing in vital unmet needs such as the $13.6 billion in needed bridge repairs.

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
Wait until the housing markets deteriorate even further. The over-inflated property values they've been taxing will decline and then we'll see some serious gouging take place. By next year all states will be freaking out like California is now.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
That's a great idea... Make the drive to/from work cost even more for people who are barely getting by. Jackass.

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
That's a great idea... Make the drive to/from work cost even more for people who are barely getting by. Jackass.

Gas
+Tolls
+Insurance
Per Month
=$700
Just for me not including my wife

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
Wait until the housing markets deteriorate even further. The over-inflated property values they've been taxing will decline and then we'll see some serious gouging take place. By next year all states will be freaking out like California is now.
Considering most homes are taxed on an assessed value (sometimes based on market value/sales price) people should fight for lower assessments, i.e. lowing their property taxes.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast

Gas
+Tolls
+Insurance
Per Month
=$700
I quit my previous shitty job for many reasons, but one of them was because it cost me close to $400 a month in gas and tolls to just go to work in NJ. That number was about to go up because the douchebag I worked for was moving the office... another turnpike exit (more tolls) then another 8 miles off the exit (more gas).

Feb 20, 2006
**** Island
Considering most homes are taxed on an assessed value (sometimes based on market value/sales price) people should fight for lower assessments, i.e. lowing their property taxes.

Oh believe me, we are. NC is not NJ obviously but our tax assessments came out and me and most of my neighbors are protesting this overvalued bullshit. Our houses are being valued at ~12% higher than any subdivision sale we've had this year. Fuck these thieving cocksuckers.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
That won't work. If the value goes lower, the % charged will just increase, thereby allowing the towns to collect the same dollar amount.

This state is royally fucked. They can't find ANY place to cut spending? Fuck this governor in his fucking ass. God forbid he ask state workers to contribute to their health care & be responsible for their retirement, just like the rest of the working world.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
No wonder people are leaving that state in droves.

wes mantooth said:
Oh believe me, we are. NC is not NJ obviously but our tax assessments came out and me and most of my neighbors are protesting this overvalued bullshit. Our houses are being valued at ~12% higher than any subdivision sale we've had this year. Fuck these thieving cocksuckers.
I'm out in Wake County and many residents saw a 20%-30% increase in property values. Mine was about a 25% increase which I know I'll soon get a shock when I get my tax bill. Many residents have appealed, but I missed the Jan 1 deadline. It's not even close compared to Jersey, but the tax assessments in NC were a joke. It's funny though...I used to whine and complain about paying close to $4,500 year in property taxes up in Jersey. Now I'm whining and complaining about $1,700/year property taxes.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
That won't work. If the value goes lower, the % charged will just increase, thereby allowing the towns to collect the same dollar amount.

This state is royally fucked. They can't find ANY place to cut spending? Fuck this governor in his fucking ass. God forbid he ask state workers to contribute to their health care & be responsible for their retirement, just like the rest of the working world.
Why are teachers (some making over 100k for 181 days a year) not paying one fucking cent for their medical insurance like the rest of us?

It's not like they're being paid borderline poverty wages any more.

ruckstande

Posts mostly from the shitter.
Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
I'm all for the federal government stepping in and declaring marshall law. This state is so corrupt we are in a crisis. Corzine declared "healthcare" the state's number one priority recently. Since fucking when!? I'm worried about taxes and moving out of my parents house. I can't afford to live here, businesses can't afford to exist here, and people can't afford to work here. Union have this state by the alls to answer your teacher's insurance question. We are fucked and need a drastic change.

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California

Gas
+Tolls
+Insurance
Per Month
=$700
Just sneak her in, put her in the trunk.:icon_mrgr

At least your last Governor just liked to suck cock.
we in calif just traded one liberal for another with a better physique. They are talking about raising all sorts of taxes here, and if they talk about it, they are going to do it. all tax lovers in Sacramento.
In Cal, the biggest problem is the schools have to receive 51% of the budget by law. So they are in the hole before even starting.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Just sneak her in, put her in the trunk.:icon_mrgr

At least your last Governor just liked to suck cock.
we in calif just traded one liberal for another with a better physique. They are talking about raising all sorts of taxes here, and if they talk about it, they are going to do it. all tax lovers in Sacramento.
In Cal, the biggest problem is the schools have to receive 51% of the budget by law. So they are in the hole before even starting.
This part is hilarious, we are expected to raise toll prices on the AC Expressway. People are complaining and the people who support it respond "well there hasn't been a toll increase on 10 years". The kicker of that is, there isn't supposed to be a toll anymore. The tolls were supposed to be removed once the road was paid for. People seem to forget that part.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
My one friend left Jersey because the tax reassesment on her home was more than she made as a teacher...the home had been in her family since she was a kid.
Another left because of the commute and the taxes. (actually, we think he just wanted a pot farm in Brazil.)..from what I remember reading there has been an exodus from Jersey in the last year

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
This part is hilarious, we are expected to raise toll prices on the AC Expressway. People are complaining and the people who support it respond "well there hasn't been a toll increase on 10 years". The kicker of that is, there isn't supposed to be a toll anymore. The tolls were supposed to be removed once the road was paid for. People seem to forget that part.
That's it there. They'll say the tolls will be removed once the road is paid off or whatever in order to get them implemented. Then, once they're there, it becomes "Well, we decided to keep the tolls so we could put it towards roadway improvements...oh and to do this, we'll need to raise tolls". They pulled similar crap when they took out tolls on the GSP expecting everyone to rejoice. Well, not quite because they kept tolls going one direction and raising those existing tolls. How much was it again...they doubled the fee of those one way tolls? So, in theory, they can make the same amount of money, but have less toll collectors/booths. Brilliant!

New Jersey has made it near impossible for an average college student (like I was) to afford a relatively nice house and start a family. Between taxes, tolls, gas, insurance...it was way out of my price range.

Razor Roman

Save the USH!
Aug 27, 2002
Sayreville NJ

BUT WE NEED TO FUND STEM CELL RESEARCH!!!!

(you know, so the state can fund something that private companies will then profit off of...)

And don't forget the path so the lizards can cross the Parkway.

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
That's it there. They'll say the tolls will be removed once the road is paid off or whatever in order to get them implemented. Then, once they're there, it becomes "Well, we decided to keep the tolls so we could put it towards roadway improvements...oh and to do this, we'll need to raise tolls". They pulled similar crap when they took out tolls on the GSP expecting everyone to rejoice. Well, not quite because they kept tolls going one direction and raising those existing tolls. How much was it again...they doubled the fee of those one way tolls? So, in theory, they can make the same amount of money, but have less toll collectors/booths. Brilliant!

New Jersey has made it near impossible for an average college student (like I was) to afford a relatively nice house and start a family. Between taxes, tolls, gas, insurance...it was way out of my price range.
How long ago did you leave Jersey. I have heard of more people leaving here and moving to Myrtle Beach. I absolutely love living where I live but the politicians have made it intolerable to afford it.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
They pulled similar crap when they took out tolls on the GSP expecting everyone to rejoice. Well, not quite because they kept tolls going one direction and raising those existing tolls. How much was it again...they doubled the fee of those one way tolls? So, in theory, they can make the same amount of money, but have less toll collectors/booths. Brilliant!
Um, how about you try again. They reduced the number of toll booths to ease congestion, at least in one direction.

BUT WE NEED TO FUND STEM CELL RESEARCH!!!!

(you know, so the state can fund something that private companies will then profit off of...)

And don't forget the path so the lizards can cross the Parkway.
Ah, yes. Two of my favorite things. Giving money to people that already have it and the Snail Trail.

I'm so updating my resume & getting a union job.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Um, how about you try again. They reduced the number of toll booths to ease congestion, at least in one direction.
That being a huge reason, yes. But in the end, it works out better for them since they'll need less toll booth/collectors.

ruckstande said:
How long ago did you leave Jersey. I have heard of more people leaving here and moving to Myrtle Beach. I absolutely love living where I live but the politicians have made it intolerable to afford it.
I left in 2004, right around the time McGreevey "came out". I went to Stockton and after that was done, me and Mrs. Begbie started house shopping. I got a pretty decent paying job and she wasn't paid all that well. We looked around Brick, Toms River, Forked River, and as far south as Tuckerton. For an older two-story house that needed some work, the cheapest I could find was $250K in 04. I almost bought a house where you can look up the street and get a nice view of the top of Oyster Creek Power Plant. Property taxes were going to be about $4,200. I probably could've gotten by, but it's a tough call. So, I had some family down in NC and found a job that would pay me more, so we bought a brand new two story house and an unfinished 3rd floor for around $170,000 and property taxes around $1,200 at the start. Then, cut my car insurance bill in half and get accustomed to less traffic and a slower pace, and the move was a no-brainer.

Alot of people I know as well are moving down to the Carolinas. Don't get me wrong, if I could've stayed in Jersey, I would've. I miss the food for one. And I got family and friends up there and I loved being by the water. Though it would generally take me an hour sitting in traffic in the summer to go to Ortley or Pt. Pleasant and it takes me an hour and a half to get Wilmington now, so that's not too bad. Alot of it came down to money and just overall quality of life (politics, traffic, etc).

ruckstande

Apr 2, 2005
South Jersey
Yeah I live in Mt. Laurel right outside of Philly pretty much. Traffic can be a nightmare. Right now I have to go to Plymouth meeting in Pennsylvania after work which means taking the Schukyl Expressway. I should bring pills and booze in case I want to kill myself.