• OMG!!! GDPR!! GDPR!!! GDP f***ing R!!!!!!!!!!!111111one!

Bla, Bla, Bla, updated privacy policy, because "we care about you! "

ಠ_ಠ

If you even give a shit, our privacy policy is here.

Pro-tip: If you have a reasonable, and transparent policy from Day 1, then you don't have to run around like an asshole!

Countdown to Eric Holder's Firing

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Definitive Proof That Eric Holder Lied to Congress About Obama's Medical Marijuana Crackdown
Mike Riggs | June 15, 2012

Attorney General Eric Holder told the House Judiciary Committee last week that his department was not prosecuting medical marijuana businesses that are in compliance with state law. In the week since, drug reform advocates have culled together an overwhelming amount of evidence that Holder either lied to the committee, or—as seems to have been the case with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearm's "Operation Fast and Furious"—is oblivious to what his department is doing outside Washington, D.C.

Just to review, here's what Holder told the House Judiciary Committee:

Asked about what critics have charged is an overly aggressively enforcement campaign and broken administration promises — including in states that have legalized cannabis for medical purposes — Holder denied the charge.

"This is inconsistent with the little thing called the facts," Holder said in testimony in front of the House Judiciary committee.

Holder told the committee that the Justice Department is not using "limited resources to go after people acting in conformity with state law."

"One has to deal with the reality that there are certain people who took advantage of the state law and a different policy that this administration announced...and have come up with ways they are tkaing advantage of those state laws and going beyond what those states have authorized," Holder said.

That's from Politico. The Washington Times filed a similar dispatch. What Holder said, in other words, isn't up for debate. Neither is the truthiness of what he said: Holder lied.

Steph Sherer of Americans for Safe Access called Holder out last week. Now here's Eric Sterling pointing out that the DOJ has threatened to prosecute state employees who comply with their states' marijuana laws:

U.S. Attorneys have threatened state governors that the Justice Department would prosecute state employees who are carrying out state law.

In June 2011, the threats were so real they worried New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (R), a former U.S. Attorney himself.

In Delaware, this spring U.S. Attorney Charles Oberly, III, threatened to prosecute state employees while state officials were developing the regulations to fine tune the state law. In that case the Justice Department was trying to prevent any possibility that anyone could be in "conformity" with state law! Governor Jack Markell actually stopped state employees from going forward in the regulation writing process.

In the adjacent state of Maryland, Gov. Martin O'Malley was so alarmed by Oberly's threat, he announced, before the General Assembly could even mark-up a bill in committee, that he would veto any bill that was sent to him!

Last September, the BATF, a unit of the Justice Department, advised all federally licensed firearms dealers that it would be a crime if they sold a firearm to anyone they knew was a state-licensed medical marijuana patient.

In the week since Holder lied, Reuters reported that the Justice Department is using asset forfeiture laws to target landlords of pot shops. If they don't evict medical marijuana outfits, Justice can seize their buildings:

A civil statute designed primarily to seize the assets of drug trafficking organizations is now being wielded by federal prosecutors in California in an unconventional and little-noticed attack on medical-marijuana shops in the state.

Prosecutors have brought more than a dozen lawsuits seeking the forfeiture of commercial properties that house marijuana shops. The actions pressure owners to either evict these controversial tenants or face costly legal battles or the loss of their buildings.The goal is to scare owners into cutting their ties to such tenants and to help the Justice Department combat the medical marijuana industry, estimated at $1.7 billion annually, without confronting it head-on with costly and potentially embarrassing criminal prosecutions, industry sources and legal experts said.

And here's another case in which the Feds shut down a dispensary that local government approved of:

DEA agents raided the El Camino Wellness Center at 2511 Connie Drive early Monday morning. They also raided the homes of the center’s executive directors, according to a press release from Americans for Safe Access.

“The community is in shock because El Camino Wellness Center was a model dispensary that had hosted tours of the facility for numerous members of City Council, as well as state and local officials,” according to local ASA representative Courtney Sheats. “There has been nothing clandestine about its operation.”

Unlike Fast and Furious, Holder isn't claiming that he didn't know about Obama's medical marijuana crackdown when it was happening. It's happening right now, and he says it's not. Amazing.
http://reason.com/blog/2012/06/15/definitive-proof-that-eric-holder-lied-t

Obama has to know what a liability this guy has become...

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
The Attorney General is not going to get fired for misspeaking or lying about pot.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
The Attorney General is not going to get fired for misspeaking or lying about pot.
If he's not going to get fired over lying to Congress about selling guns to drug cartels and covering up the murder of US agents with those same guns, nothing is going to get him fired.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
He should be in jail for F&F along with Janet Napolitano and most of the ATF. China and Russia aren't as corrupt as this... Mexico laughs at us.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I'm more upset with Holder about the other story you posted, Josh, with the gun convictions. This pot thing is more of an overall Obama admin policy issue, than a Justice Department issue.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'm more upset with Holder about the other story you posted, Josh, with the gun convictions. This pot thing is more of an overall Obama admin policy issue, than a Justice Department issue.
As someone who followed the Delaware story, I can say with certainty that DOJ isn't being forced into this. It's despicable, and I caught some flack for saying so on the air.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
The guy should have been charged with selling pardons over the whole Mark Rich thing, which tells me the guy has a lot of dirt on a lot of powerful people

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
the article claims that Holder lied about going after medical weed businesses that are complying with state laws, but offers no proof of such. There is no question that feds are going after weed businesses, but are they going after ones that working outside the state laws or not? article doesnt say.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
the article claims that Holder lied about going after medical weed businesses that are complying with state laws, but offers no proof of such. There is no question that feds are going after weed businesses, but are they going after ones that working outside the state laws or not? article doesnt say.
Well I guess if you get to them before they can write the laws, mission accomplished?

In Delaware, this spring U.S. Attorney Charles Oberly, III, threatened to prosecute state employees while state officials were developing the regulations to fine tune the state law. In that case the Justice Department was trying to prevent any possibility that anyone could be in "conformity" with state law! Governor Jack Markell actually stopped state employees from going forward in the regulation writing process.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Well I guess if you get to them before they can write the laws, mission accomplished?
The law legalizing medical marijuana was passed. The law specifically allowed for three dispensaries, one in each county, to be run by non-profit groups and staffed by state employees. DOJ threatened to imprison those state employees.

The law was written and passed. The regulatory details were the only part left to be done when Holder stuck his snout in.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
and the Gov. could have to the US attorney (not holder btw) to go pound sand... other states have passed the laws without getting tried as drug traffickers and as listed in the article the state employees are exempt from prosecution. Shitty thing for that attorney to do, but its the gov. that is to blame.

look I think the weed laws are stupid. Just make it legal and get it over with. Less dangerous than booze...

the the article read like a Kirk post... just substitute ampartame, chemtrails and freedoms for Fast and Furious and lied and you got basically the same thing.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
In the case of Delaware, they threatened to throw the state employees in jail. That's unheard of.
in understand that.... but seeing as how the DOJ cant put them in jail, the Gov. should have told the US attorney (again, it wasnt holder who did this) to go pound sand... but he didnt.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
in understand that.... but seeing as how the DOJ cant put them in jail, the Gov. should have told the US attorney (again, it wasnt holder who did this) to go pound sand... but he didnt.
I don't think you understand how executive branch bureaucracies work. The Attorney General acts on behalf of the President, who outlines a policy. In this case, the policy is to not allow any states' rights in regards to pot laws. The Attorney General then tells his U.S. Attorneys to go enact this policy. In this case, they were to threaten employees of states trying to enact marijuana legalization laws. So stop trying to cover for Holder. He's in this mess up to his eyeballs.

I also don't think you understand how the law in general works. The DOJ most certainly can throw people in jail. Who do you think prosecutes federal criminal cases?

weeniewawa

it's a man, baby!!!
May 21, 2005
Hell,California
maybe he is just trying to get in trouble with so many different cases that not one of them is big enough to take him down since all of his detractors will be so spread out

not a good strategy in my opinion

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
The law legalizing medical marijuana was passed. The law specifically allowed for three dispensaries, one in each county, to be run by non-profit groups and staffed by state employees. DOJ threatened to imprison those state employees.

The law was written and passed. The regulatory details were the only part left to be done when Holder stuck his snout in.
Meh, didn't realize they had gotten that far. Point was Magic Blob was wrong anyway.

MagicBob

Dec 2, 2010
I don't think you understand how executive branch bureaucracies work. The Attorney General acts on behalf of the President, who outlines a policy. In this case, the policy is to not allow any states' rights in regards to pot laws. The Attorney General then tells his U.S. Attorneys to go enact this policy. In this case, they were to threaten employees of states trying to enact marijuana legalization laws. So stop trying to cover for Holder. He's in this mess up to his eyeballs.

I also don't think you understand how the law in general works. The DOJ most certainly can throw people in jail. Who do you think prosecutes federal criminal cases?
oh, ok, I get it, you have knowledge that this letter came from the command of Holder... got it. It want just the US attourney acting on his own, HOLDER told him to do it. Got it... oh, btw, got any proof of that? Nope? huh.

and I do get how the law in general works. Yes the DOJ can throw people in jail, however they cant throw state employees in jail for writing a law.
it has something to do with state employees not being held criminally liable for enforcing drug laws.
First, the federal drug law explicitly immunizes state officials from prosecution for conduct while enforcing any state drug law.
so.... like I said, the Gov. could have told the US attorney to pound sand, but he chose not to do that.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...319_1_medical-marijuana-law-drug-law-delaware

Top Bottom