Country singer Mindy McCready keeping it real with drunken arrest

MJMANDALAY

Jan 26, 2005
Police say McCready assaulted mom
Singer claims Florida cops roughed her up

Nashville-based country singer Mindy McCready was charged with assaulting her mother Saturday in Fort Myers, Fla., and with resisting officers called to the disturbance.

The Florida native, whose songs such as "Ten Thousand Angels" have topped country music charts, faces two misdemeanor charges of domestic battery and resisting arrest.

McCready claims deputies used excessive force during the arrest, tackling her while she held her baby.

"It's been a nightmare," McCready said Sunday night.

The singer had returned early Saturday from a restaurant to the North Fort Myers home of her mother, Melody Inge, and was intoxicated, said Sgt. Larry King, Lee County Sheriff's spokesman.

"She began fighting with her mom and, at some point, she scratched her across the face," King said.

McCready's mother called police shortly before 1 a.m.

The singer gave a different account. She said the family had been playing Scrabble at their home when a family issue they were discussing got out of hand. She said she told deputies they weren't needed.

"I was holding my baby at the time," McCready said of Zander McCready, 15 months.

"They tackled me. They didn't give any directions. They just tackled. There was no reason for it. To take down a woman holding a baby, it's just not right."

A deputy took Zander from McCready as she was tackled, so he was not injured, she said.

Deputies reported that McCready wouldn't let them handcuff her. A female deputy fought McCready to the ground and put on the handcuffs, King said.

McCready said that they broke her nose and that she has bruises all over her body.

When the singer was booked into Lee County Jail at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday, she caused another disturbance and wouldn't settle down when a deputy asked her to, King said. She then refused to be handcuffed again.

McCready said they told her they weren't arresting her and they wouldn't answer when she asked why they were taking all her personal belongings.

Deputies sprayed McCready, 31, with an agent similar to pepper spray.

By Saturday evening, she was out of jail after posting $1,000 bail. She is scheduled to appear in court Aug. 14.

The singer has had other troubles in recent years.

In 2004, she pleaded guilty to fraudulently obtaining a prescription drug at a Brentwood, Tenn., pharmacy. She said the pills were not for her.

In May 2005, Billy McKnight, her then-boyfriend and father of her infant son, was arrested and charged with attempted murder of the singer. The week before, she had been arrested on a drunken-driving charge. She is suing McKnight for $3 million over the assault claim.

In September 2005, McCready was hospitalized for an overdose of alcohol and prescription drugs. She has attempted suicide twice but has been in counseling, according to news media reports.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070723/NEWS03/707230345

Mommadeez4u

Bastard coated bastard w/ bastard filling
Mar 26, 2005
Washington, DC
I have no problem with country & western performers getting pepper sprayed.

moegolden

Perv-switch toggler
Oct 3, 2004
how bout this kind of honesty? a celeb sex tape broker speaks (although i dont know if its the broker if this tape.

"If timed right, it could be very successful. Her name, image, doesn't do too much for me, but there probably is a hillbilly contingency that likes that kind of shit," Blatt adds. "She doesn't float my boat, but when it comes to celebrity sex tapes, it's not about me or whoever's releasing it. It's about the celebrity and finding people out there that enjoy her, are fans of her. Fans will buy anything put in front of them; give them enough things with a name and they're going to buy it -- it's all fan-based.”

kloraferm

Humor is reason gone mad
Sep 6, 2002
Staten Island, NY
In the "classic" country tradition, I'd love to get blasted drunk and shove her down the stairs over an argument about whatever. Mmmm, good times.