OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Crime Fiction

Discussion in 'Books & Literature' started by Psychopath, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

I'm a huge fan of James Ellroy's books. Anyone know of some decent crime writers that are hard boiled like Ellroy's books? I'm starting to run out of his regular novels.

2. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Never read Ellroy, but I'm a big fan of Dennis Lehane. His Kenzie series is about a private detective and very entertaining... gritty with some humor mixed in. The movie Gone Baby Gone was based off one of those.

The movies Mystic River and Shutter Island are also adapted from Lehane novels.

3. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

I'll have to check him out.

4. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

I'm a big fan of Sandfords books, namely the Prey series and it's spin off, though his other series are great as well. Lucas Davenport is a bad mother fucker.

BTW, you have to read them in order.

5. DiggerNick

DiggerNick Well-Known Member
    Donator

For the hardest of hard-boiled check out Andrew Vachss's 'Burke' series.

Vachss is a lawyer who's work centres around abused children, and he funnels all that experience into his books. His prose is as sparse and lean as you've ever read.

To start I'd say check out any of his short story collection 'Hard Looks', 'Everybody Pays' and his latest one 'Mortal Lock'.

Although his non-Burke novel 'Shella' has to be my favourite book of his.

6. HandPanzer

HandPanzer in situ

Do you have a certain era you're fond of? Raymond Chandler (The Big Sleep etc.) and Dashiell Hammett (The Maltese Falcon) wrote early gumshoe stories, Thomas Harris (Red Dragon) , Patricia Highsmith (The Talented Mr. Ripley), John D. MacDonald (The Green Ripper), hell you could even include Stieg Larsson (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) into this category. Cormac McCarthy (Blood Meridian), Bret Easton Ellis (American Psycho) though his work isn't exactly "hard-boiled", Philip Roth (American Pastoral), Lawrence Block (When the Sacred Ginmill Closes), even some later Tom Wolfe work is somewhat hard-boiled. I would also throw in Elmore Leonard (Pagan Babies).

7. ianbobo

ianbobo Well-Known Member
    It's My Birthday!

8. freddyfox

freddyfox Registered User

I own a copy of White Jazz by James Ellroy that I have never read. Bought it at a used book store a long time ago for $3.00 after somebody told me how great of a story it is. They also said The Big Nowhere was good too but I don't have that one. What are your opinions on those two titles?

9. freddyfox

Yup. Blood Meridian is simply one of the greatest Westerns ever written. So good it really transcends the Western genre. A beautifully violent story written by the same author who wrote No Country For Old Men. In my head, I rendered it in Frank Miller comic style as I read along. Which leads me to ask why no comic publisher has ever turned this epic masterpiece into a graphic novel? I hope it's never made into a movie because Hollywood will F it up.

HandPanzer likes this.
  10. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

They are both great. Start with the first of the series, Black Dahlia, The Big Nowhere, LA Confidential, then White Jazz.

11. freddyfox

OK. Thanks for the heads up. Are they chronologically connected? With recurring characters throughout the four books?

12. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

yep. The first book starts in 47