OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Cris Carter admits to using bounties during his career

Discussion in 'Sports' started by mr. sin, May 9, 2012.

1. mr. sin

mr. sin Registered User

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...r-admits-to-using-bounties-during-his-career/

On Monday, former NFL receiver Cris Carter provided great insight regarding the concussion issue during ESPN’s Outside the Lines. On Tuesday, Carter chimed in on the other big issue in the NFL.

Actually, it was more than a chime. It was a freaking gong.

Carter told ESPN Radio’s Hill & Schlereth that Carter placed cash bounties on opposing players during his career.

“I’m guilty of it,” Carter said. “It’s the first time I’ve ever admitted it. But I put a bounty on guys before. I put bounties on guys. And the guys tried to take me out, a guy tried to take a cheap shot on me, I put a bounty on him, right now.”

“A money bounty?” Mark Schlereth asked.

“Absolutely,” Carter said.

“Protect me. . . . Protect me from him. . . . Especially if he’s playing a different position where I can’t protect myself,” Carter said. “I’d tell one of them guards, ‘Hey man, this dude is after me, man. Bill Romanowski.’ He told me he’s gonna me out before the game, in warmups. No problem. ‘I’m gonna end your career, Carter.’ No problem. I put a little change on his head before the game. Protect myself, protect my family. That’s the league that I grew up in.”

Asked whether he was the only one to do that, Carter was emphatic: “Heck no!”

Carter added that he has no regrets. “Matter of fact, if I see a couple of them dudes that was trying to cheap shot me walking through ESPN, I’d put a bounty on them right now.”

Carter explained that the bounty was “based on protection or big hit, excitement or helping your team win, it wasn’t to maim or hurt the dude.” And that sounds a lot like how the Saints would explain the use of bounties from 2009 through 2011, if any of them were to admit to it and/or if there were evidence of it.

Carter also said that he was in the Eagles locker room for the 1989 Bounty Bowl, and that he was present when former Eagles coach Buddy Ryan “put the bounties on the guys.” Carter said he disregarded those types of bounties, but other players didn’t. “I saw guys getting wiped out, guys going for the money,” Carter said.

Later in the interview, Carter said that bounties also were used by the Vikings to protect players like Randy Moss, Daunte Culpepper, and Randall Cunningham.

2. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Im surprised that Disney didnt fire him on the spot.

3. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

After listening to Dan Patrick's take on this story, I'm inclined to believe that this never happened. "Bounty-gate" has been in news for almost two months. Chris Carter has made plenty of appearances on ESPN shows during that time. Now all of sudden he brings this story up.

4. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

Paying a guy to protect you is different than paying guys to deliberately injure people.

5. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

True but the story sounds made up. I ain't buying it.

6. Bud

Bud Bud

Anyone else completely sick and fucking tired of hearing about goddamn bounties? Holy shit who fucking cares!?!?!? Its been going on as long as football has been around and its not going to stop now. They'll just be more covert about it. Fuck steroids talk, fuck cheating talk, and fuck bounties talk. Every fucking morning on my way to work on Mike and Mike. JHC.

7. Jacuzzi Billy

Jacuzzi Billy Watching PTI
    Donator

x2

8. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

Its the NFL. The only professional sport that doesn't have an actual offseason.