Critics slam proposed Seoul twin towers for 9/11 imagery

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Critics slam proposed Seoul twin towers as mimicking explosions of planes hitting WTC on 9/11

An artist's impression of "The Cloud" as seen on the MVRDV website. (MVRDV/Screengrab)

The design for proposed twin towers in Seoul has been slammed for mimicking the explosions caused by planes hitting New York's World Trade Center in 2001, however the project's South Korean developer says it will not alter the design.

The design for proposed twin towers in Seoul has been slammed for mimicking the explosions caused by planes hitting New York's World Trade Center in 2001, however the project's South Korean developer says it will not alter the design.

The skyscrapers, designed by Dutch architecture firm MVRDV and "connected midway up by a cloud-shaped bridging section," will be built at the entrance to S eoul’s redeveloped Yongsan business district by 2016, according to Agence France-Presse.

MVRDV, whose website features an artist's image of the project, has described the buildings' connected midsection as a "pixelated cloud" containing public gardens, sky lounges, a swimming pool and restaurants.

However, AFP reports:

Families of victims of the 9/11 attacks see a marked resemblance between the project known as The Cloud and the clouds of debris that billowed from the World Trade Centre after hijacked airliners ploughed into the towers.

The New York Daily News quoted Jim Riches, a retired FDNY deputy chief whose son was killed on 9/11, as saying that he didn’t believe the architects.

“I think it’s a total lie and they have no respect for the people who died that day,” he said. “They’re crossing a line. It looks just like the towers imploding. I think they’re trying to sensationalize it. It’s a cheap way to get publicity.”

A headline on a Gizmodo article aboutthe towers asked, simply: “What the hell were these architects thinking?”

MVRDV, in a statement on its website, has apologized for any resemblance to the Twin Towers, saying that it did not see the similarities during their design process.

"It is one of many projects in which MVRDV experiments with a raised city level to reinvent the often solitary typology of the skyscraper," the statement read. "We sincerely apologize to anyone whose feelings we have hurt, it was not our intention."

Meanwhile, White Paik, spokesman for the Yongsan Development Corporation, reportedly said: "Allegations that it [the design] was inspired by the 9/11 attacksare groundless. There will be no revision or change in our project," he said, adding that construction would begin in January 2013 as scheduled."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatche...cks-world-trade-center-explosions-seoul-cloud
Those damn slippery slopes...:cool:

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Those poor 9/11 victims will have to see that monument every time they go to South Korea.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Those poor 9/11 victims will have to see that monument every time they go to South Korea.
:haha7: :haha7:

It's a fucking building. Were the Twin Towers the only skyscrapers of that design in existence?

mascan42

Aug 26, 2002
Ronkonkoma, Long Island
If somebody hadn't mentioned it, I never would've made the connection. Stop looking for things to be outraged about. Next thing you know, they'll be complaining that nobody should build skyscrapers in pairs anymore because it brings back too many memories.

OTOH, the project really should be cancelled just because the buildings are fucking ugly.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Those buildings look badass, I think. I do think that they look like the Twin Towers as they were falling (with the dust blowing outward).

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Looks great, hope they build it.

I'd love to find out who these critics are.
Self explanatory:

Families of victims of the 9/11 attacks see a marked resemblance between the project known as The Cloud and the clouds of debris that billowed from the World Trade Centre after hijacked airliners ploughed into the towers.
I'm so sick if the "9/11 Families". Enough, self-important asshats.

Oh and "ploughed into the towers". That's some good journalism there.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I'm glad South Korea isn't taking any of our American PC bullshit. In fact, I hope they paint the outside walls to look like people falling. NOT EVERYTHING IS ABOUT YOU.

Josh_R

Jan 29, 2005
Akron, Ohio
Self explanatory:

I'm so sick if the "9/11 Families". Enough, self-important asshats.

Oh and "ploughed into the towers". That's some good journalism there.
Not to sound like a total asshole, but people's family members die all the time. They don't always get millions of dollars from the government and sympathy for the rest of eternity. Enough already.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Can't wait to see the hack "funny" pictures of people running away and posted repeatedly on 'Post things that you find Alarming XI'

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I hope they build them straighter than the building on the left.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
On which floor is the dog meat sold?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
The New York Daily News quoted Jim Riches, a retired FDNY deputy chief whose son was killed on 9/11, as saying that he didn’t believe the architects.

“I think it’s a total lie and they have no respect for the people who died that day,” he said. “They’re crossing a line. It looks just like the towers imploding. I think they’re trying to sensationalize it. It’s a cheap way to get publicity.”
So did the Daily News call this guy to ask his thoughts on this? That sounds silly.

On which floor is the dog meat sold?
That's offensive to South Koreans who got food poisoning from tainted dog meat.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
north korea =/= south korea. sirry american.
I'm sorry, but because South Korea didn't think about how Jim Riches would feel, they're now terrorists.