Custody battle over rescued German Shepherd

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-dog-subject-custody-battle-article-1.1138690

Man charged with animal cruelty for abandoning German Shepherd on mountain: Colorado couple rallies fellow climbers to save the dog
A Denver couple is engaged in a custody battle over an injured and hungry German Shepherd dog, Missy, they found abandoned atop a local climing spot. After having organzined a rescue effort with fellow climbers, now they hear that Missy’s original owner wants back the dog he left for dead.

A group of Colorado mountain climbers rescued a German Shepard named Missy from 13,000 feet, where the dog's owner abandoned her. Missy was stranded for eight days before two hikers found her close to death and bloodied. In a strange twist of fate, the owner wants custody of Missy again - a privilege the animal-loving hikers think the man lost when he left the canine to die.
Authorities agree with the hikers and have charged the dog’s owner, Anthony Ortolani, with animal cruelty. He is scheduled to appear in court on October 16.
Scott and Amanda Washburn found Missy marooned on a pile of bloody rocks of the Sawtooth Ridge between Mount Bierstadt and and Mount Evans in Colorado on Aug. 11. The Denver couple bandaged Missy's wounds and gave her food and water.

They tried to help Missy down the mountain but her injured paws prevented her from walking. At more than 100 pounds, she was also too big to carry. Official search and rescue teams couldn't assist the couple since they only respond to calls to help humans.
But the Washburns didn't give up. The Washburns posted a picture of Missy on 14ers.com, a social networking site for mountain climbers, requesting help saving Missy.

The appeal garnered an overwhelming number of responses from people eager to support. Others posts voiced outrage that someone could forsake his pet in such dire circumstances.
Soon after, eight volunteers set off up Mount Bierstadt to rescue the stranded dog. As ominous clouds gathered overhead, the team found Missy. The clouds erupted into a bizzard. They carried Missy down the mountain in a large backpack, persevering through the inclement weather, according to Animal Help Now. The rescue mission lasted nine hours total.

After examining Missy, a veterinarian assured the group that their new dog wouldn't have permanent injuries from the ordeal. The dog is in surprising good shape considered what she experienced, according to ABC News.
That's when Missy's owner, Ortolani, identified himself. He explained that he left her behind on Aug. 5 before a storm. Ortolani said he was concerned for the safety of a younger hiker he brought on the outing, reports the Daily Mail.

Missy finally made her way down Mount Bierstadt in a backpack, among other conveyances.

"I am ashamed that it wasn't me who got her off of the mountain, I underestimated the good will and resolve of the hiking community of Colorado, and I am eternally grateful," Ortolani wrote on a 14ers.com message board.
The Washburns, however, don't think Ortolani is fit to care for Missy and hope to adopt her themselves. "We understand that he had to leave her there," Scott Washburn said. "My wife and I did the same thing. But we ended up going back for her, and we went to some pretty extreme lengths to do so. In my opinion, that is not a responsible dog owner, who doesn't really care about her."

THRILLHO

Apr 5, 2009
Bothell, Wa.
Yeah, fuck that dago. He effectively abandoned her when he left her to die and did nothing for eight days to rescue her.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
He left his dead dog. They found a live dog nobody wanted. They win.

Warfarer

I can't think of anything funny.
Jun 20, 2005
Alabama
I'm shocked that the guy has the audacity to ask for the dog back.

I don't think they can really charge him with animal cruelty considering no one really knows what happened and the cops didn't witness anything. All the guy would have to say was that the dog was in good shape but escaped.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
fuck that asshole, never leave a man behind, never leave mans best friend behind, that dog would have died to protect him, and he leaves it? fuck him

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
fuck that asshole, never leave a man behind, never leave mans best friend behind, that dog would have died to protect him, and he leaves it? fuck him
Yup. My thoughts exactly.

The couple

The douche

The only way my dog doesn't come back with me is if I don't come back.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
The dog would be happy to see it's owner... even though he left her to die...

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
last time i took DOC hunting he pulled a muscle and couldn't walk, i dropped my 1600$ shot gun in the mud and carried him about a mile back to the truck like a baby and he was about 75lbs.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Even if you have to leave the dog to help another human, as he claimed to have done, you go back for it afterwards. He should have been the one to organize the rescue party and go save the dog. Animal cruelty is probably a stretch, but in no way does he deserve that dog.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I packed my dog out of some huge lava flows when his feet got cut. He was willing to keep walking, but I didn't want him to get cut more. After that, I didn't take him hunting in the lavas. Maybe dogs aren't suited to mountaineering, either.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I packed my dog out of some huge lava flows when his feet got cut. He was willing to keep walking, but I didn't want him to get cut more. After that, I didn't take him hunting in the lavas. Maybe dogs aren't suited to mountaineering, either.
They are (denping on the breed/age etc)... but like anything you have to be prepared... if I take Meadow for a hike she wears one of those dog back pack things. And it has a portable water bowl... water... some first aid stuff and perhaps a couple of beverages for me.

Note this when she was less then a year old... and she has grown into it.

Oh and you can get "shoes" for your dog if you are going over stuff like that...

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
So fucking this. I would never leave Blutto behind. I don't care if I had to crawl with him on my back. Never leave a man behind.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
So fucking this. I would never leave Blutto behind. I don't care if I had to crawl with him on my back. Never leave a man behind.
Well duh... Really sucked when Peggy died (the Border Collie) and I had to pick her up and put her in a Styrofoam box so she would keep for the weekend... Pro tip don't use a Styrofoam container as they will make noises when you walk by them... Feh... Miss that dog.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2