Cutting Cable

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
I just want to shit on Comcast for a minute here. My internet , phone and television was bad on Monday night then Tuesday it went out. When I finally got time to call them they gave me a date 10 days from the call to come fix it. I let them know it was unacceptable and finally they said maybe 24 hours. A day goes by and nothing. I make another call and once again they said 9 days. I had them transfer me to cancel hoping that would get the fix expedited. NOPE!. I told them to cancel. So today I go searching for another Internet provider cause that's whats important for Netflix or HULU. I got no other options, literally no other options other than satellite internet. I am fucked and have to call back and get Comcast. This literally makes me want to sell my house and move after being here for 8 years.

I am fucked and have to call back and get Comcast. This literally makes me want to sell my house and move after being here for 8 years.
So you can move to another city that is run by just one cable or telco provider?

If running hundreds of thousands of cable drops with perfect internet service across all drops at all times was easy more companies in your area would be doing it.

Bobobie

.... literally no other options other than satellite internet.
There is another option that isn't usually heavily advertised. My sister lives on a farm and they use this over the air digital internet service. You have to have line of sight to one of their towers, usually 20-30 miles. She gets basic cable and internet. Good enough for Netflix and Amazon Prime. I don't think they do much network gaming.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
There is another option that isn't usually heavily advertised. My sister lives on a farm and they use this over the air digital internet service. You have to have line of sight to one of their towers, usually 20-30 miles. She gets basic cable and internet. Good enough for Netflix and Amazon Prime. I don't think they do much network gaming.
Sometimes it's significantly better than other options. My parents (who also live on a farm) have that, and the speed is surprisingly fast.

The one downfall? They often have low data caps because they buy bandwidth from other providers.

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
So you can move to another city that is run by just one cable or telco provider?

If running hundreds of thousands of cable drops with perfect internet service across all drops at all times was easy more companies in your area would be doing it.
We live in an older subdivision(about 30 yrs) and 2 years ago 2 companies ran fiber optic right passed or subdivision out to the county rural area. The only reason I can assume is there's only 35 houses in our Subdivision and they can't guarantee enough profit.

Bobobie

We live in an older subdivision(about 30 yrs) and 2 years ago 2 companies ran fiber optic right passed or subdivision out to the county rural area. The only reason I can assume is there's only 35 houses in our Subdivision and they can't guarantee enough profit.
You should call and ask what it would cost to bring it into your sub. My bro in Law was in similar situation with city water and sewage. I think each home in his sub had to shell out $1200. About a dozen people stuck with their wells and drain fields but they managed to get it. Having Fiber available in your area is almost as good as location for Home Values.

Dicktator

I need a Vacation
You should call and ask what it would cost to bring it into your sub. My bro in Law was in similar situation with city water and sewage. I think each home in his sub had to shell out $1200. About a dozen people stuck with their wells and drain fields but they managed to get it. Having Fiber available in your area is almost as good as location for Home Values.

Talked to them, they said they had no plans to pursue accounts in my area.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
I'm pretty rural here in Colorado, but we have DSL, the speed hovers around 5 to 6 Mbps....according to internet research that should be enough to run a firestick etc.

Any opinions on that? Anyone else running that slow of a speed successfully?

That is as fast as I can get where I live

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
I'm pretty rural here in Colorado, but we have DSL, the speed hovers around 5 to 6 Mbps....according to internet research that should be enough to run a firestick etc.

I'm in Canada and it works. We get between 3-9 Mbps. Occasional buffering but watchable.

whiskeyguy

Donator

That's more than a lot of people run Netflix off of.

somnarium

deftones or somefuckin' body

As long as it's reliably consistent, that'll be good enough.

I pay for 25 mbps, get more like 10-15 usually, and my only other cable option is 3 mbps. Fucking @Bill Lehecka and his scam of a company.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
That's more than a lot of people run Netflix off of.
That brings up part of my concern.....we can run Netflix fine now, amazon is fine most of the time and HBO go can be sketchy once in a while.

I'm am worried that Sling or Hulu will be sketchy or the firestick will buffer constantly

Hold me, I'm so scared.....

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
That brings up part of my concern.....we can run Netflix fine now, amazon is fine most of the time and HBO go can be sketchy once in a while.

I'm am worried that Sling or Hulu will be sketchy or the firestick will buffer constantly

Hold me, I'm so scared.....
Hulu will work because it can buffer. If your speed drops temporarily it will wait to catch up. No experience with Sling.

Murph, where are you in CO?

whiskeyguy

Donator

On a side note, the Fire TV is easily worth the cost to upgrade. Ethernet capability, better wifi, etc. If your wifi has a lot of interfere, or you plan on installing a significant kodi setup, you'll probably be unhappy with the sick.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator

You won't get multiple devices going at once streaming, but one or two should be fine.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
we only stream on one TV at a time 99% of the time anyway, so that's good.

Next question, when people say they can jailbreak a Firestick, I get the intent, but is that as simple as the cable boxes you could buy at the swap meet back in the day? Is there any recourse or ability to track users who have one? Technology has improved a lot since the late 80s watching playboy channel on my buddy's swap meet cable box

Murph, where are you in CO?
I live slightly south, and west of Colorado Springs

domelogic

Next question, when people say they can jailbreak a Firestick, I get the intent, but is that as simple as the cable boxes you could buy at the swap meet back in the day

It is extremely easy. You do it right from the stick controller. Use tvaddons.com to add kodi. They have step by step instructions and even have a config wizard that installs the best programs so you do not have to figure out what you want(but you can add what you want)

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
we only stream on one TV at a time 99% of the time anyway, so that's good.

Next question, when people say they can jailbreak a Firestick, I get the intent, but is that as simple as the cable boxes you could buy at the swap meet back in the day? Is there any recourse or ability to track users who have one? Technology has improved a lot since the late 80s watching playboy channel on my buddy's swap meet cable box
Easy as pie to load Kodi and Exodus (the most popular TV and movie site) on the fire stick. As far as legality, it falls into a gray area. Copyright laws prevent you from possessing a movie (downloaded copy) but not streaming a movie. Still, if you're worried, you can set up a VPN to stream through.

whiskeyguy

Donator
Easy as pie to load Kodi and Exodus (the most popular TV and movie site) on the fire stick. As far as legality, it falls into a gray area. Copyright laws prevent you from possessing a movie (downloaded copy) but not streaming a movie. Still, if you're worried, you can set up a VPN to stream through.
How did you set up a vpn on the fire tv?

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
You need to set up VPN in your router for non-VPN devices like the firestick to utilize the VPN. The problem is, that your connection speed will take a massive hit. My 300/20 service becomes 20/20 service when I enable VPN in my Asus router, which is somewhat high-end as far as residential routers go. It just doesn't have the processing power to maintain the connection speed with the VPN encryption.

So for now, I have the PIA client running on both of my desktop PC's, cell phones, and my HTPC. I still speed test at my provisoned speeds one each PC with the VPN client running.

I am going to build/buy a pfSense box.

https://www.pfsense.org/hardware/#requirements

I am probably going to use some sort of SFF PC with enough power to support my connection speed and the VPN. I'm primarily looking at some kind of refurbished desktop that I can just slap a 2nd NIC into. But, I am thinking of just building something. The problem with brand-name SFF stuff is proprietary shit. If something blows (like a power-supply) I want to be able to replace it expeditiously, and not have to fuck around.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
So I am finally doing this...

I picked up a used Lenovo PC on the eBay pretty cheap and added a few more pieces to complete my pfSense rig.

The PC is a Lenovo M73 SFF with an i5-4590 quad-core CPU, 4GB of RAM, and a 640GB hard drive. I got it for $100. The processor alone sells for more than that used.. It's so new, it's still got almost a year left on Lenovo's warranty according to their support website. I'm probably going to extend it for the whole $20 it'll cost. If a major part shits, I'll get a replacement.

I picked up a brand new PCI-E x4 quad-port Intel gigabit server NIC ($28) and 16GB of RAM ($100) well as pop in a brand new Intel SSD I have sitting here (worth $90) in place of the standard hard drive.

I have to bridge my existing modem/router to turn it into a dumb cable modem. I have a wireless AC router that I am going to put into AP mode to replace the WiFi that I'll lose when I bridge my existing router. I have other APs in the house, but in order to have full-coverage I need something in this location. Eventually I may do some kind of mesh system.

This setup is probably overkill, but word is that gigabit service is coming my way soon. I want to be prepared.

The RAM won't be here until Saturday so I am not going to start tinkering around until then.

Bobobie

What are you preparing for? 4K streaming or online VR gaming?
So I am finally doing this...

I picked up a used Lenovo PC on the eBay pretty cheap and added a few more pieces to complete my pfSense rig.

The PC is a Lenovo M73 SFF with an i5-4590 quad-core CPU, 4GB of RAM, and a 640GB hard drive. I got it for $100. The processor alone sells for more than that used.. It's so new, it's still got almost a year left on Lenovo's warranty according to their support website. I'm probably going to extend it for the whole $20 it'll cost. If a major part shits, I'll get a replacement.

I picked up a brand new PCI-E x4 quad-port Intel gigabit server NIC ($28) and 16GB of RAM ($100) well as pop in a brand new Intel SSD I have sitting here (worth $90) in place of the standard hard drive.

I have to bridge my existing modem/router to turn it into a dumb cable modem. I have a wireless AC router that I am going to put into AP mode to replace the WiFi that I'll lose when I bridge my existing router. I have other APs in the house, but in order to have full-coverage I need something in this location. Eventually I may do some kind of mesh system.

This setup is probably overkill, but word is that gigabit service is coming my way soon. I want to be prepared.

The RAM won't be here until Saturday so I am not going to start tinkering around until then.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
Ended up with the Fire TV

Amazon
Netflix
Hulu
Sling
HBO
And an HD antenna for local stations

Bobs your uncle