Cutting Cable

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
What are you preparing for? 4K streaming or online VR gaming?
Well, I do have a 70" 4K TV with a Roku, and I do have various devices with Kodi and such...

Mainly, pfSense is going to handle VPN duties and I plan to use some add-ons like Squid, Snort, and Darkstat.

I like to do things once and be done.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Ended up with the Fire TV

Amazon
Netflix
Hulu
Sling
HBO
And an HD antenna for local stations

Bobs your uncle
You can also sideload apps to the Fire TV, which means a lot of Android apps will work on it. Terrarium TV, Kodi, IPTV apps, all work on Fire.

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
I came off my spectrum promo a few months ago, so I cancelled again. I tried Sling and the occasional buffer still bothered me.

I decided to try Philo and it is fantastic. No sports or news channels but their offering was pretty good for me. $16 or $20 a month and can stream on 3 TVs. I've had it for about a month and a half and it's buffered maybe 2 times.

They don't have a dedicated Android app yet, but their on Roku and Amazon Fire.

I also use Mobdro, which is alright for random shows and stuff.

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
Lack of news channels is kind of annoying, you can get CNN with Sling but not Fox, I like to switch between both

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Lack of news channels is kind of annoying, you can get CNN with Sling but not Fox, I like to switch between both
Roku, M3U Black, Cloud 9 IPTV. You're welcome.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
So does this let you play any web address stream? I've been looking for this functionality in my roku...for reddit sreams
If it's an M3U stream. Example: Cloud 9 IPTV's Fox News Channel EXTINF entry:

#EXTINF:-1 tvg-id="FoxNews.us" tvg-name="Fox News Channel HD" tvg-logo="http://drizzlecast.weebly.com/uploads/9/3/4/3/93437678/p983_1_orig.png" group-title="USA News", Fox News Channel HD
http://fnctve-i.akamaihd.net/hls/live/200669/fnctve/HD.m3u8

If you were to drop http://fnctve-i.akamaihd.net/hls/live/200669/fnctve/HD.m3u8 from the above into an app like VLC player, it'll play the live stream of Fox News. Add the entire link https://bit.ly/Cloud9IPTV (caps and lowercase exactly like I typed it) then you'll get all the channels listed on this page:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/31k6mgie80zcczy/TV Package.txt

Sometimes channels come and go, but Cloud 9 is one of the more stable IPTV sites I've found, especially being free.

Another option is Fluxus TV , but that one is pretty weak in comparison.

Jun 30, 2005
outsiddah Boston
Roku, M3U Black, Cloud 9 IPTV. You're welcome.
So the M3U Black is no longer available...there is a RED...

http://tvstreamin.com/forum/index.php?topic=856.0
If you have the m3u Black playlist player installed, don't remove it or it will be gone for good.

The developer sold this app and the private channel code no longer works. We are not exactly sure what intentions the future owner has for this private Roku channel. We did hear a rumor that there were plans to use it with a paid IPTV streaming TV service.....
There is a Red player now which I guess is the same...

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Red is similar, but I prefer the m3u black. Just seems to work better.

There's an indian vs neeg joke in there somewhere. I'm just too lazy to find it.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
I am looking to cut the cord. What is tv like through the internet as far as speed. I can only get 50mps. I have several fire sticks. I have been looking at Hulu or ps vue. Any thoughts or ideas on this is appreciated.

Cost will be cheaper than the 125 I spend a month now on directv no matter what direction I go.

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
I live pretty rural and sit around 5mps

I can stream no problem, and the wife and I can both be on the internet fucking around.

You should be just fine

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
Do you Hulu or psvue or something else? You have set my mind at ease with the streaming part now onto the service provider part.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Do you Hulu or psvue or something else? You have set my mind at ease with the streaming part now onto the service provider part.
I've used Vue, works well. Currently using Sling TV, I find that does a fine job as well. I've heard mixed reviews on Hulu live and YouTube TV, but I suspect they work just fine as well if your bandwidth is sufficient. I've heard bad things about Direct TV Now.

MurphCO

Donator
Dec 13, 2011
Parts Unknown
We have Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Amazon Prime, and HBO

HBO eats the most bandwidth by far

Hulu will stutter and can sometimes not work if we have too many things going at once (again 5mps speed) but we just take our phones off the WiFi and we are good

Prime has good software

Sling is good

Netflix was king as far as never buffering etc.

HD antenna and we have like 20 local channels, a lot of Spanish speaking channels, and a few random others along with ABC, MBC, CBS and a Fox local

Only thing I miss is switching between Fox and CNN when some big news story happens, but Sling has CNN.....and honestly it’s better and faster to monitor Twitter than news channels anyway

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
The best thing you can do is just try each service since they do offer free trials and you can cancel anytime online.

Again, my best experiences were with PS Vue and now Philo...I've had zero buffering issues with both. PS Vue (and others) have bigger variety of channels but can still run you $40/mo - $80/mo. Philo has two plans ... one $16/mo ... or add 8 more channels or so for $20/mo. Its still 46 channels, just lacks most news channels and sports.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I've used Vue, works well. Currently using Sling TV, I find that does a fine job as well. I've heard mixed reviews on Hulu live and YouTube TV, but I suspect they work just fine as well if your bandwidth is sufficient. I've heard bad things about Direct TV Now.
I'm using Sling TV with the AirTV tuner thing. So my dad doesn't have to figure out how to use a tablet to watch Law and Order when he visits.

Got a cheap HD antenna but just ordered an omni directional one from Amazon. Just have to ask my buddy to drop he really tall ladder over so I can put it on the peak of the house.

Also have Amazon, and Netflix (which I don't watch really) but happy with it so far. Though the button layout is a tad odd.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Just ordered one of these:

https://tinyurl.com/y9h4qmys

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Those look very cool, and have great reviews. Can't justify the $175 though; when I can get a Fire TV for under a hundred bucks, which can sideload just about everything the Shield can run, it makes better sense to me to go with the cheaper solution.

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Those look very cool, and have great reviews. Can't justify the $175 though; when I can get a Fire TV for under a hundred bucks, which can sideload just about everything the Shield can run, it makes better sense to me to go with the cheaper solution.
My brother brought his with him when he came to visit. That's what sold me.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
My brother brought his with him when he came to visit. That's what sold me.

Isn't that the way we all get sold on the tech we wind up loving? Someone shows up and says "Check out this cool tech!"

Sinn Fein

Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Isn't that the way we all get sold on the tech we wind up loving? Someone shows up and says "Check out this cool tech!"
Pretty much, he cut the TV cord completely. He has the Shield and a complement of firesticks on his TVs. He bought the firesticks down last year. But this year he brought both and showed the performance difference.

JoeyDVDZ

Aug 20, 2004
Pretty much, he cut the TV cord completely. He has the Shield and a complement of firesticks on his TVs. He bought the firesticks down last year. But this year he brought both and showed the performance difference.

My only concession to live tv is Sling TV and an OTA antenna on my roof. The antenna doesn't always get great reception where I am, sort of halfway between NYC and Philly, but I do get some decent channels. The Sling covers the rest. I don't bother with first run anyway, but my wife has to have HGTV and Food Network.