OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Cutting the cord, or FUCK CABLEVISION!

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Sunsetspawn, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Sunsetspawn

Sunsetspawn Registered User

So I haven't really watched TV in a few months and I can't justify the cost of Cablevision any longer. I watch web stuff life Half in the Bag, or grab a DVD from the library, or maybe watch a Colbert before bed, but I haven't had a passionate connection to anything on TV since Stargate Universe was cancelled.

I'm sick of subsidizing the garbage the studios are making, and especially sick of subsidizing sports, which make up the bulk of cable costs.

So, how's the Roku? Should I get Hulu Plus and be done with it? Netflix? What's the deal?

Neckbeard likes this.
  2. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

Roku is good so is the Apple TV

rent tv shows or movies or acquire them on line.

most of the subsidizing you pay cable for is to support all the channels that nobody watches

3. Hog's Big Ben

Hog's Big Ben Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
    Donator

Sick
    Beard

That is all.

JoeyDVDZ likes this.
  4. JoeyDVDZ

JoeyDVDZ That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!

Tried to cut the cable about a year ago. Thanksgiving parade was the deal breaker for my wife. We could "acquire" whatever we wanted otherwise, but we could not find the TG parade anywhere. My wife freaked out & the next day I came home to find a bag of boxes from Comcast.

5. Sunsetspawn

That's an expensive motherfuckin parade. Can't you toss an antenna on the roof and connect that to the Roku, or at the very least connect that to the TV? Old skool style? Get 2 - 13?
    Damn, I do put the TV on for that parade, but I don't really pay much attention. I usually fuck-off on the internet until it's time to hit up the relatives. Still though, there is a nostalgia to it. I'm gonna see about that antennee on the roof.

6. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

What sucks is that I used to be able to get shows streaming from the channels for free..now I have to sign into a sight using my cable provider and a password to watch shows.

7. gorram

gorram ;)

As more people cut the cord the alternatives in Netfix, Hulu and Amazon will become more expensive. As will your Internet bill as more people are streaming more high bandwidth TV through their connections. Depending on who your provider is this may be already happening.

Its also a matter of time before a local broadcaster try to shake down its viewers for subscription money. They already try to with places like a hotels or larger MDU communities that captures and rebroadcasts the signal to its residents.

8. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

I cut the cord 8 years ago and have had accidental free cable a few times, my room-mate subscribed to it and sometimes the cable subscriber leaves it turned or forgets to put the filter on. Other than a few DVR'd shows, I never actively channel surf or watch anything on TV in real time anymore. I still download most of my TV shows and watch them on my Media PC hooked to the TV. I also have a Roku and used to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime on the Xbox. I actually watch more stuff on Youtube on the big screen TV. I hardly watch Netflix or Amazon Prime anymore. Streaming is the future.

9. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Registered User

I'd love to do it, but my wife disagrees. I barely watch TV. I'd rather fire up a game. And if I do watch TV, some old show I've never watched is fine. Netflix, Amazon, or just buy some seasons when they go on sale for $15.

10. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Can't do it. I watch too much sports and I love to DVR
    just about everything else or watch it On Demand.
    I'm willing to pay since I got Fios and my bill dropped
    way down over what Comcunt Cable cost me.

11. Hudson

Hudson Supreme Champion!!!!!
    Donator

Yeah, the Hulu Beta promise of always being free evaporated.

12. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Nothing ever stays free forever. Once they get you hooked
    they'll start charging. Happens every time.

Hudson likes this.
  13. luckie1710

luckie1710 Registered User

have you looked at

https://www.aereo.com/

I know my employer is trying to fight them. As well as the other networks.

14. gorram

gorram ;)

Who is the employer or if you dont want to say the name then what type of company?

15. Bobobie

Bobobie Registered User

When I first cut the cord. I put up 40 ft TV tower and was getting a lot of Digital and analog broadcast channels. Detroit was over 60 miles away, but was pulling Detroit, Toledo, and Lansing Stations. Was also pulling in Channel 9, a CBC station.

16. luckie1710

It's one of the big 4 tv networks

17. gorram

gorram ;)

Makes sense. Aren't the major networks not really favorable to Hulu as well?

18. luckie1710

We are partners in Hulu. NBC / Universal, Disney / ABC and Fox are all partners in Hulu.

19. Sunsetspawn

I knew of it, but I didn't actually know that it was available yet. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not really sure what the big deal is with the networks because those channels are broadcast over the airwaves like magic anyway.

20. luckie1710

Well those channels are getting money per subscriber every month now. I think that started a year or so ago

21. Sunsetspawn

Star Trek TOS on free HULU?!?! Well sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

22. JoeyDVDZ

So between sickbeard, Windows Media Center, Hulu Plus, Netflix, and Plex media server/center, I have just about no need to EVER turn my cable box on. Plex automatically updates the media folders I set up with new downloads as they come in, and sickbeard keeps them coming in automatically, usually within minutes of the episodes being aired.

Between Netflix & Hulu, both of which integrate nicely into WMC, and Plex, which also is accessible through WMC as a plugin that launches Plex inside WMC, on a reasonably humble Dell OptiPlex PC, with an IR Blaster & WMC remote, I have a full service HTPC setup. Pretty fukkin sweet.

I also have my Roku which does just about all of this as well, including a nice Plex interface.

Cable, your days are numbered. I might keep the minimum service on one TV just to keep the internet connection cheap, and as a quick easy way to hit live TV on the rare occasions it winds up being necessary.

I LOVE IP TV!!!!!

23. JoeyDVDZ

So I'm attempting to incorporate Aereo into my cord cutting world now; I tried to use their free trial which doesn't need the antenna, but have not been able to make it work. I am bouncing back and forth with their customer service now, and if I have any success, I may kick up the $12 a month to use it. Seems pretty convenient compared to climbing up on my roof to hook up an antenna.

24. JoeyDVDZ

So I found another reason to love plex. Found a channel called Let Me Watch This, that connects to 1Channel.tv which streams all the new shit, tons of movies, great quality. Works via the plex media center on my HTPC, and on Roku, though the Roku is a bit dodgy. On my HTPC machines and my laptop it's friggin flawless. And it beats the hell out of doing it via the 1channel website, which tries its level best to dump malware on your PC every time you click a link. Watching Dark Skies on it now, beautiful 720p quality, no stutters, no pixilation, just nice stream.

25. Sunsetspawn

JoeyDVDZ is a TV-watchin motherfucker.

And he's still gonna kick cable to the curb.

Anyhow, I called these fuckos yesterday on a break at work to cancel, and after holding for 15 minutes they played a nasty defensive move on me and froze my brain.

I can go ahead and cancel the TV and pay $55 a month for internet,

or,

option B

I can pay $85 for internet, phone, and basic value cable with HD box and DVR.

Anyway, I told them I'd call them back.