Déjà Vu: White female reporter r@ped during Tahrir Square celebration

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
World
British Journalist Details Horrific Sexual Assault in Tahrir Square After Muslim Brotherhood Victory

Posted on June 27, 2012 at 10:24am by Erica Ritz
Comments (106)

British Journalist Natasha Smith Details Tahrir Square Sexual Assault After Muslim Brotherhood Mohammed Morsis Victory

Tahrir Square (AP File Photo/Fredrik Persson)

Tens of thousands of Egyptians crowded into Cairo’s famous Tahrir Square Sunday to celebrate the victory of presidential candidate Mohammed Morsi, but British journalist Natasha Smith is issuing a stern warning against getting caught up in the “wave of euphoria” like she originally did.

Despite the atmosphere of “jubilation, excitement, and happiness,” she said, the festive crowd quickly turned on her, pulling her from her male companion, ripping off her clothes, and violating her.

Natasha Smith explained on her blog [content warning; all emphasis added]:

Men began to rip off my clothes. I was stripped naked. Their insatiable appetite to hurt me heightened. These men, hundreds of them, had turned from humans to animals.

Hundreds of men pulled my limbs apart and threw me around. They were scratching and clenching my breasts and forcing their fingers inside me in every possible way. So many men. All I could see was leering faces, more and more faces sneering and jeering as I was tossed around like fresh meat among starving lions.

I shouted “salam! Salam! Allah! Allah!” In my desperate state I also shouted “ma’is salaama!” which actually means “goodbye”…

[...]

At this point, I said aloud to myself, calmly, over and over, “please God. Please make it stop. Please God. Please make it stop.”
British Journalist Natasha Smith Details Tahrir Square Sexual Assault After Muslim Brotherhood Mohammed Morsis Victory

(Photo: Screen grab / Natasha Smith)

Eventually, Natasha says, her companion was able to find her and they were able to escape the tent she had taken refuge in with the help of a few friendly Egyptians, one of whom pretended to be her husband:

The men outside remained thirsty for blood; their prey had been cruelly snatched from their grasp. They peered in, so I had to duck down and hide. They attempted to attack the tent, and those inside began making a barricade out of chairs. They wanted my blood.

[...]

[The man who pretended to be my husband] pulled me through the crowds out of the back of the tent. He told me: “don’t cry. Do not cry. Look normal.”

I was barefoot, dodging broken glass and debris, trawling through mud and dirt. My inner reserves of strength kicked in, and I stopped crying and just thought “keep calm and carry on.”
Smith’s alleged treatment by authorities and hospital staffers immediately thereafter was almost equally disturbing, because it demonstrated such apathy for the crime:

Upon reaching a government hospital downtown, we tried to explain the situation. People stared at us blankly, sloping around the corridors. We were turned away and told to go to a nearby hospital instead. Nobody would take us; we just had to walk there.

Upon arrival, I was eventually ushered into a small cubicle. Two men asked “are you pregnant? Married? A virgin?” They seemed displeased by my response of “no”.

[...]

Finally our friends turned up with a lady from the embassy. I was taken to a private hospital where a doctor’s first question was “are you married?”, which is of course the most important question to be asking a victim of mass sexual abuse. He and a female nurse (who only reluctantly kept me covered up) looked briefly at the damage and just wandered off, saying that because I didn’t have internal bleeding, they couldn’t do anything.

CBS reporter Lara Logan (Photo: AP)

The Huffington Post notes:

Other female journalists have faced sexual assault while working from Egypt in the past. CBS News’ Lara Logan was attacked while reporting from Tahrir during the 2011 revolution. She described the incident in an interview on “60 Minutes,“ saying that men in the crowd had ”raped me with their hands.” Egyptian journalist Mona Eltahawy also detailed her assault at the hands of Egyptian security forces, who detained her during protests in November.

The trend, however, is not limited to high-profile cases. Egyptian women have reported widespread sexual harrassment and abuse, with 83% of local women saying in a 2008 study by the Egyptian Center for Women’s Rights that they had been harassed. Earlier in the month, a group of women who attempted to protest such treatment were abused themselves as they marched in the square.
Despite it all, Smith maintains a love for the country and hope for its people, saying that “this vicious act was not representative of the place I had come to know and love.”

Smith‘s blog post has received nearly 800 comments as of this article’s publication, and now that the story is being picked up by international outlets, that number is only likely to increase.

However, unlike many other stories, a shocking number of the commenters told their own stories of sexual abuse in Egypt, or what had happened to their friends and relatives.

“This is a consistent trend, and it has to stop,” Smith said.

(H/T: Weasel Zippers)
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/british-journalist-details-horrific-sexual-assault-in-tahrir-square-after-muslim-brotherhood-victory/

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Humans ARE animals you dumbshit reporter, investigate that.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Natasha Smith said:
Men began to rip off my clothes. I was stripped naked. Their insatiable appetite to hurt me heightened. These men, hundreds of them, had turned from humans to animals.

Hundreds of men pulled my limbs apart and threw me around. They were scratching and clenching my breasts and forcing their fingers inside me in every possible way. So many men. All I could see was leering faces, more and more faces sneering and jeering as I was tossed around like fresh meat among starving lions.

I shouted “salam! Salam! Allah! Allah!” In my desperate state I also shouted “ma’is salaama!” which actually means “goodbye”…

[...]

At this point, I said aloud to myself, calmly, over and over, “please God. Please make it stop. Please God. Please make it stop.”
The men outside remained thirsty for blood; their prey had been cruelly snatched from their grasp. They peered in, so I had to duck down and hide. They attempted to attack the tent, and those inside began making a barricade out of chairs. They wanted my blood.

[...]

[The man who pretended to be my husband] pulled me through the crowds out of the back of the tent. He told me: “don’t cry. Do not cry. Look normal.”

I was barefoot, dodging broken glass and debris, trawling through mud and dirt. My inner reserves of strength kicked in, and I stopped crying and just thought “keep calm and carry on.”
Upon reaching a government hospital downtown, we tried to explain the situation. People stared at us blankly, sloping around the corridors. We were turned away and told to go to a nearby hospital instead. Nobody would take us; we just had to walk there.

Upon arrival, I was eventually ushered into a small cubicle. Two men asked “are you pregnant? Married? A virgin?” They seemed displeased by my response of “no”.

[...]

Finally our friends turned up with a lady from the embassy. I was taken to a private hospital where a doctor’s first question was “are you married?”, which is of course the most important question to be asking a victim of mass sexual abuse. He and a female nurse (who only reluctantly kept me covered up) looked briefly at the damage and just wandered off, saying that because I didn’t have internal bleeding, they couldn't do anything.
None of that would surprise me if it's true, but something about her highly literary retelling of it doesn't sit right with me. It sounds like something you'd read in a suspense novel. Maybe that's just how she communicates personal stories, but it seems like she's sensationalizing or even lying. Again, it's not the acts she's recounting that make me suspicious, it's the way she's recounting them.

Von Maestro

Mar 12, 2010
At least our reporter was hotter...

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
None of that would surprise me if it's true, but something about her highly literary retelling of it doesn't sit right with me. It sounds like something you'd read in a suspense novel. Maybe that's just how she communicates personal stories, but it seems like she's sensationalizing or even lying. Again, it's not the acts she's recounting that make me suspicious, it's the way she's recounting them.
Kinda like how Owenay had to throw the "white" part in the headline. Sensationalizers gonna sensationalize. Had nothing to do with her being white and had everything to do with her being a female in a land of savages.

Owenay

Those who fail to learn from history are doomed...
May 10, 2007
Bizarro World
Kinda like how Owenay had to throw the "white" part in the headline. Sensationalizers gonna sensationalize. Had nothing to do with her being white and had everything to do with her being a female in a land of savages.
I haven't read about all the non-white women who were ***** that day in the streets of Cairo. If you think she wasn't targeted for being a white, female, western reporter you're incredibly naive.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale
As carlin said, "Hey Jack, you don't want to get your head cut off? Stay the fuck in Oklahoma. They ain't cuttin' off heads in Oklahoma, far as I know. But I do know this: you strap on a gun and go struttin' around some other man's country, you'd better be ready for some action, Jack." Same applies here, you take chances when you go into these savage countries.

Ballbuster1

In The Danger Zone...
Wackbag Staff
Aug 26, 2002
Your house, behind the couch
As carlin said, "Hey Jack, you don't want to get your head cut off? Stay the fuck in Oklahoma. They ain't cuttin' off heads in Oklahoma, far as I know. But I do know this: you strap on a gun and go struttin' around some other man's country, you'd better be ready for some action, Jack." Same applies here, you take chances when you go into these savage countries.
Fucking right.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
Nah, that's just great writing, something we don't see a lot of from American "journalists."

Despite it all, Smith maintains a love for the country and hope for its people, saying that “this vicious act was not representative of the place I had come to know and love.”

Even if it isn't, how can you tell the good eggs from the savages when they all look alike? At least we have a handy-dandy color coding system here.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I haven't read about all the non-white women who were ***** that day in the streets of Cairo. If you think she wasn't targeted for being a white, female, western reporter you're incredibly naive.
Then you must not read the things you post. :action-sm

From YOUR POST ABOVE:

The trend, however, is not limited to high-profile cases. Egyptian women have reported widespread sexual harrassment and abuse, with 83% of local women saying in a 2008 study by the Egyptian Center for Women’s Rights that they had been harassed. Earlier in the month, a group of women who attempted to protest such treatment were abused themselves as they marched in the square.
Egyptian women protesters sexually assaulted in Tahrir Square
Mob attacks small group calling for an end to sexual harassment as women continue to demand a 'new Egypt' post-Mubarak

guardian.co.uk, Friday 8 June 2012 19.54 EDT

Egyptian women have been vocal protesters against the post-Mubarak regime, despite continuing sexual harassment at marches and gatherings. Photograph: Amel Pain/EPA

A mob of hundreds of men assaulted women holding a march demanding an end to sexual harassment in Cairo, as attackers overwhelmed male supporters and molested several of the marchers in Tahrir Square.

Some victims said it appeared to have been an organised attempt to drive women out of demonstrations and trample the pro-democracy protest movement.

The attack on Friday follows a spate of smaller-scale assaults on women in Tahrir Square, the epicentre of the uprising that forced former president Hosni Mubarak to step down last year.

Earlier in the week, an Associated Press reporter witnessed around 200 men assault a woman who eventually fainted before others came to her aid.

Friday's march demanded an end to all sexual assaults. Around 50 women participated, surrounded by a larger group of male supporters who joined hands to form a protective ring around them. The protesters carried posters and chanted. After the marchers entered a crowded corner of the square, a group of men waded into the women, heckling them and groping them. The attackers chased the the marchers as they tried to flee. Several women were cornered against railings and groped, according to reports. Eventually, the women found refuge in a nearby building.

"After what I saw and heard today I am furious at so many things." wrote Sally Zohney, one of the event's organisers on Twitter.

Ahmed Mansour, a 22 year-old male medical student who took part in the march, said: "Some people think it is targeted to make women hate coming here."

During the uprising against Mubarak last year, women said they briefly experienced a "new Egypt". Women participated as activists, protesters, medics and frontline fighters against the security forces. They have continued to play a leading role over the past 15 months. However, assaults on women protesters have been common, mainly perpetrated by men opposed to their presence and the security forces. Lara Logan, a US correspondent for CBS television, was sexually assaulted by a mob in Tahrir Square on the day Mubarak stepped down, as hundreds of thousands of Egyptians celebrated.

In a defining image of state violence against women, soldiers dispersing a protest in December were captured on video stripping a woman's top off and stomping on her chest, as other troops pulled her by the arms across the ground. That incident prompted a march by 10,000 women through Cairo.

In contrast, the small size of Friday's march could reflect the fear felt by women in the square.

Sexual harassment of women, including against those who wear the hijab, is common in Cairo. A 2008 report by the Egyptian Centre for Women's Rights said two-thirds of women in the country experienced sexual harassment on a daily basis. A string of mass assaults on women in 2006 during Eid, the feast following Ramadan, prompted police to increase patrols.

"Women activists are at the core of the revolution," said Ahmed Hawary, who attended Friday's protest. "They are the courage of this movement. If you break them, you break the spirit of the revolution."
Leave the whining about fake racism to the Trayvon supporters...;)

jules

uppity taxpayer
Jul 24, 2005
south jersey
thank you, most accurate post ever

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
Aug 20, 2004
Can't deny, the dude has it right. Makes a whole lotta sense to send hot chicks into savage land. Can we all proclaim "duh"?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Kinda like how Owenay had to throw the "white" part in the headline. Sensationalizers gonna sensationalize.
I don't think you know the meaning of the word sensationalize. It involves adding lies or half truths to something. Simply stating her race couldn't be further from sensationalizing.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Don't wanna get r@ped? Don't go to savage lands.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I don't think you know the meaning of the word sensationalize. It involves adding lies or half truths to something. Simply stating her race couldn't be further from sensationalizing.
sen·sa·tion·al·ize (sn-ssh-n-lz)
tr.v. sen·sa·tion·al·ized, sen·sa·tion·al·iz·ing, sen·sa·tion·al·iz·es
To cast and present in a manner intended to arouse strong interest, especially through inclusion of exaggerated or lurid details.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
I find it difficult to have sympathy for someone that'd willingly stick their face in the equivalent of a Bee Hive and yell really loud.