D3 Basketball Player Scores 138 Points

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
Grinnell College, Jack Taylor
Grinnell wins 179-104
Taylor was 52-108 from the field, 27-71 From 3 Point. 3 Rebounds, and zero assists.

108 fucking shots in 40 minutes of basketball, from the one kid. The rest of the team combined for 28 shots, putting the total at 136 shots.

For reference the Lakers shot 82 shots last night against the Nets, who shot 73 total. And they play 8 more minutes in the NBA.
Indiana Georgetown: Indiana had 49, Georgetown 59 total shots

I want to see video of this, just to see how they got this many shots off, and the other team as well.
Was it just half-court pass and shoot? Literally no defense at all? It's crazy.

Here's the article... Apparently the Grinnell coach makes Mike D'Antoni look like a defensive stickler.
Maybe we should have seen it coming.

After all, when Grinnell guard Jack Taylor broke the NCAA all-time single-game scoring record -- a record that has stood since 1954 -- with 138 points Tuesday night, he didn't do it for just any random basketball program. He did it for Grinnell.

For the past two decades, Grinnell coach David Arseneault has been running his system ("The System"), based on his formula ("The Formula"), which explicitly requires his team to shoot at least 94 field goals per game, 47 of which should be 3-pointers. Arseneault recruits almost exclusively sharpshooting guards, so that his players can be interchangeable when he runs them in quickfire all-five line changes every other minute. It's a totally insane, totally thrilling way to play basketball, and it's also an elephant and a tiger and a creepy clown shy of a straight-up circus freakshow.

Taylor
So when you ask yourself, "How in the name of everything holy did some D-III kid just score 138 mothertrucking points?," Arseneault's crazy system is a good place to start.

But alas, it's not the whole answer. Typically, Grinnell's offense is designed to be balanced. In Tuesday night's 179-104 victory over Faith Baptist Bible, however, Taylor shot 108 field goals (he made 52), 71 of which were 3s (he made 27). He recorded three rebounds and zero assists, and he didn't even shoot 50 percent from the field. The rest of his teammates combined for a grand total of 28 field goals. So not only was Grinnell running its inherently insane team system, it was obviously running it with the expressed purpose of getting Taylor enough shots to score an utterly mind-blowing number of points.

A more cynical person would say that it's pretty clear what Grinnell was trying to do here. It wasn't merely trying to win a game. It was trying to set a record and get on "SportsCenter" and reap the benefits of copious Internet coverage. And guess what: It worked.

And guess what else: I don't care! Whatever the aim, it'd be foolish to try and take anything away from Taylor. At the end of the day, I don't really care how you score 138 points. It's 138 points! The sheer act of getting up 108 shots in a 40-minute game is in and of itself an impressive athletic accomplishment, regardless of how many go in.

So, no, Taylor may not have scored 138 points in anything resembling a conventional way. But I'm not sure there is such a thing. And if you've got a better idea, I'd love to hear it. In the meantime, Taylor's record will stand for a very long time -- or at least until Grinnell decides to break it again.

(Editor's Note: You absolutely must check out this box score. And not to be lost in all of the hoopla over Taylor, Faith Baptist Bible's David Larson made 34 of 44 shots for 70 points! Greatest performance ever in a game in which your team lost by 75? We think so.)
The other kid shot 77% and put up 70 points... That's almost more ridiculous than the winning kid

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
my motto always was if i wanted to watch a bunch of monkeys chase a ball id go to the zoo but i cant lie thats really impressive

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Less than 5o% shooting? GSP is not impressed.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Doesn't seem that impressive. If your team is big enough, almost every time you miss you get to try again. Which is what happened, obviously.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
After hearing how he scored the 138 points, I'm not impressed.
The other team's dude that shot 77% and scored 70 points is impressive.
Watching some of the tape today on ESPN, the guy doesn't even run back on D, he's essentially a cherry-picker.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Watching some of the tape today on ESPN, the guy doesn't even run back on D, he's essentially a cherry-picker.
Yep. After hearing more about this story today all I have to say is that it stinks and I don't like it. Dude scored 138 points and had 0 assists. Fuck him.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
I actually kind of assumed it was a white kid when I first saw the scroll.
Only because I thought it had to be all 3s, and it was D3

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
Any college records that aren't set in Division 1 don't really count anyway.

Gorilla Pimp

Popped a molly i'm sweatin, WOO
Nov 2, 2009
Mobile, AL
Fuck Deadspin. If the team didn't break any rules of college basketball, it's a legit record. Don't like a white kid dropping a buck and a half on you? Play defense.
He did it against Fuck Nigga Tech Christian Academy of Agriculture that probably couldn't beat the 6A team at the high school I went to. Have the record, but just know in the grand scheme of things that it doesn't mean anything. And read about how they did it.... Subbing every few seconds, letting the other team score just to let the "white kid" take more shots.

They didn't break any rules you're right. The record is still a bunch of horseshit, and everybody knows it.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Mar 19, 2005
Bronx, NY
Fuck Deadspin. If the team didn't break any rules of college basketball, it's a legit record. Don't like a white kid dropping a buck and a half on you? Play defense.
The other team was white. His team wasn't playing any defense and they were letting the other team score so they can throw back the ball into the cherry picker.

They may have not broken any rules per say. But this record is far from legit.

Jan 25, 2006
Saint Louis
X2 about the other team being white, not a race issue here... Though it is Wackbag.

As far as D3, my brother went to Rockhurst which is D2. I went to a few basketball games, and they were pretty brutal. Nothing but 5'11-6'5 white kids. I imagine D3 really isn't much better than a group of friends that play pick-up ball at the Y

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.

I havent seen any video but if what you are saying is true he is a piece of shit. I played through college and if that ever happened in one of my games I would have been ejected for a blatantly bad foul. Then again I would have been pissed about anyone on my team that didnt make him pay for this kind of thing.