Dad: I know you're gay. Go buy OJ.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Dad's Love Letter to Gay Teenage Son Goes Viral

By Beth Greenfield, Shine Staff | Parenting – 5 hours ago

The much praised letter, from FCKH8.com via Facebook.

A letter written from a dad to his gay son Nate is going viral on the Internet because of its simple, hopeful message of love.

“I overheard your phone conversation with Mike last night about your plans to come out to me,” it reads. “The only thing I need you to plan is to bring home OJ and bread after class. We are out, like you now. I’ve known you were gay since you were six, I’ve loved you since you were born.”

He signs it “Dad” and finishes with a post script: “Your mom and I think you and Mike make a cute couple.”

The letter was posted on the Facebook page of FCKH8.com, an organization aimed at empowering youth through its snarky, gay-positive T-shirts, videos and activist campaigns. Fans often send in photos of inspiring items, from cakes topped with “I’m gay!” to jack o’lanterns carved with “FCKH8.”

“We get a lot of crazy stuff, so I almost didn’t look at it,” FCKH8.com founder Luke Montgomery told Yahoo! Shine about the letter, which was emailed to them by Nate, a Michigan high-school student. But when he did read it, he said, “I cried.”

He said Nate’s family did not want to share any information besides the letter itself. But the four sentences alone have been enough to inspire a bit of an online frenzy.

“It’s actually sad so many people are excited about it,” Mongtomery said. “And what I think that says is, one, it’s rare, and that’s really bad. And two, people are really craving this kind of reaction.” The website founder, a 39-year-old gay man who has a strained relationship with his Christian fundamentalist parents—especially since he drove around the country in a “Legalize Love” campaign in support of Obama last fall—was personally touched by the note’s simple, powerful message.

“It’s what I want,” he explained. “It’s what everyone wants.”

The national organization Parents and Families of Lesbian and Gays (PFLAG) also saw the letter and loved it.

“This letter is what PFLAG is all about—what child doesn’t want to receive unconditional love from his or her parents?” a spokesperson told Yahoo! Shine. “For some, like this dad, it comes quickly. For others, it may take time. But regardless of how or when they get there, parents need to have their kids’ backs, no matter what. So applause for Nate’s dad. And Nate? You better remember the OJ and bread!”
http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/dad-s-love-letter-to-gay-teenage-son-goes-viral-174541783.html

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
What a fucking asshole. OJ and bread? Insensitive jerk.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
“We get a lot of crazy stuff, so I almost didn’t look at it,” FCKH8.com founder Luke Montgomery told Yahoo! Shine [...]. But when he did read it, he said, “I cried.”
Queer.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Why would they want him to bring OJ home? He's a murderer and convicted armed robber.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
They always preferred Mike over Billy

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
"I've known you were gay since you were six."

Just because you call your young son a sissy faggot doesn't mean you know he's gay. You were just lucky. Unless my father was onto something that I'm still unclear about.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It would be hilarious if he disowned the kid the second he turned over the bread and orange juice.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
It would be hilarious if he disowned the kid the second he turned over the bread and orange juice.
"Whole wheat bread and Simply Orange? This is a Wonder Bread and Tropicana house! Stop trying to convert us to your deviancy!"

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
“It’s actually sad so many people are excited about it,” Mongtomery said. “And what I think that says is, one, it’s rare"
Actually, it's very common. I couldn't say whether acceptance was more common overall than rejection because I have no idea, but it's bullshit to suggest that parental acceptance of their offspring's homosexuality/bisexuality isn't a regular occurrence.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
"Whole wheat bread and Simply Orange? This is a Wonder Bread and Tropicana house! Stop trying to convert us to your deviancy!"
"Wal-Mart-brand white bread!?! I HAVE NO SON!!! Get out of my sight, you tasteless, white bread-eating abomination!!!"

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Actually, it's very common. I couldn't say whether acceptance was more common overall than rejection because I have no idea, but it's bullshit to suggest that parental acceptance of their offspring's homosexuality/bisexuality isn't a regular occurrence.
Nothing happens unless you post it online for everyone to see.

"Wal-Mart-brand white bread!?! I HAVE NO SON!!! Get out of my sight, you tasteless, white bread-eating abomination!!!"
"Artisan bread? How did I raise you so wrong?"

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
"Artisan bread? How did I raise you so wrong?"
"Pumpernickel!?! You have truly lost the light of Christ! Do you have any idea how this is going to effect your poor mother!?! You're dead to me. Dead to me!

I don't know what happened to you, boy, but I hope you're happy with the sinful, pumpernickel-eating lifestyle you've chosen."

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
A baguette? Figures.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
What if the father started beat him savagely for not being gay enough? "Next time I see you, boy, you better be lisping and using hair gel."

Token White Guy

Continuously Jaded
Oct 25, 2009
LA... Lower Alabama
What if the father started beat him savagely for not being gay enough? "Next time I see you, boy, you better be lisping and using hair gel."
"And you or Mike need amyl nitrite. If someone is getting fucked in the ass around here they better not be complaining."