OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Damn kid jumped in front of my car

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by kidconnor, Mar 1, 2012.

1. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

Ok. Not my car and not a kid..

My in laws driving home. Call me up, he hit somebody. I go over there.. lady is already in the ambulance. Older Russian lady in her 50s maybe. Dark corner. Rainy. My in laws both say they didn't see where she came from. She hit right above the pass headlights. Dented hood and broke the winshield (hole in the winshield). The ambulance guy said she hurt her shoulder. I know I picked some hair out of the winshield. They are both shaken up. Worried for the lady. She was conscious/moving when they loaded her in the ambulance. I didn't go over and see or get involved. Just helped get the car and them home.

Here's my thing. I've taken reports for it. Testified and gave a deposition once or twice but never knew how it turned out. What happens now? I gather ny is a no fault law state and their insurance will probably cover some bills. My worry is this: they aren't rich by any means. Their insurance will cover some but what about after that? What if insurance only goes so far and she wants/needs more. Rates go up, maybe drop them. They can't afford it. One of the firemen on scene mentioned he smelt booze on her. I am guessing it will come up when she gave blood at the hospital. How much will that help her in ny? They weren't ticketed for anything. Her age may lead to bigger problems health wise. Being that she is Russian I know the scams that go on. There was an article in the paper today about some million dollar insurance ring they took down.

Anyone have experience with this? From both sides?

2. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

No cops came to the scene? Not sure if they'll test for booze unless the police ask for it.

3. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

Cops came. Took accident report. No reason to test blood. But I figure they take blood when you get to the hospital so if her medical records become part of some suit then it should be there. The blood work I mean...

4. mrbucket75

mrbucket75 Registered User

How far off the curb did impact occur? Turning or driving straight? Even if pedestrians have right of way, they cant just step off the curb into traffic. Anyone ticketed at the scene?

5. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

About 12 feet from curb. Past parked car but she came off the corner I think. No one ticketed.

6. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

They don't test for drugs or alcohol unless the cops ask or a warrant is issued IIRC.

7. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

They should sue the lady before they get sued. Have them talk to a lawyer.

8. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Agree. Always strike first.

9. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

Isn't blood work done in the hospital automatically? Wouldn't that show any drugs or alcohol in the system?

10. kidconnor

kidconnor 55gallon hog

Really? For jumping in front of their car? To me that would be like forcing the issue. I told them to protect themselves and I guess that means talking to a lawyer. Would the insurance company lawyer be ok or go outside the insurance company?

They are really nice people though. They were more concerned how the lady was than anything else. Very upset over it.

I hate being too nice and then getting surprised by peoples prickery. Which is surprising because I see firsthand how much of a prick people can be to others they care about and strangers alike every day. But being prepared is better.

11. lajikal

lajikal Registered User

Sounds like a lawyer for the ol commie could do some damage. Time of day? Skid marks? Speed? Personally, if i know it were accidental woulda taken as many photos and gotten as many witnesses as possible, if there were any.

12. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

Not unless they're looking for it.

13. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

You should know how those Russians work in Brooklyn. Scam fucking central.

It's better to be counter sued after they've filed first. Even if they don't get a dime.

14. Mags

Mags Edgelord
    Donator

The hospital is only looking to cover their own ass, not take sides in a civil lawsuit. Good luck trying to get any of her medical or test results without a subpeaona. For that you'd have to sue.

Even if they found drugs/alcohol they aren't going to release that information to anyone without a court order.

15. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Same kind of thing happened to my mom. She hit a wetback on a bike. It's like six in the morning where there was pretty much no visibility, he just came out of nowhere. He was actually at fault because he was riding his bike through the crosswalk.

Speed was not a factor really because she had stopped at a stop sign and then started to go, so less than 10 miles an hour.

At first he really didn't want to hassle with it I think because he was illegal. But then a cop driving by ended up seeing something going on so he stopped. He ended up calling an ambulance just to be sure and they took the guy away.

So naturally once the Mexican gets at the hospital, some ambulance chaser ends up getting in touch with him and he ends up suing.

My moms house was homesteaded, and she didn't really have a lot of assets. So the insurance company went to court for her and they just settled with the guy for the maximum coverage on her insurance without going to trial.

She had been with Allstate for 30 years, never had a ticket or an accident and they jacked her rates almost like triple. She ended up shopping around and finding a much better deal with AAA.

Just make sure she homesteads her house so they can't put a lien on that. Sounds like they'll just go for the maximum of whatever their coverages were, since it's quicker and cheaper to do a settlement out-of-court like that.

16. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

Russian. Enough said. Sue sue sue!!!!!

17. Buds Spuckley

Buds Spuckley Registered User

Bingo.

A NY Russian too, Im surprised that she didnt have her lawyer contact your parents while she was in the amberlamps.