Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
Dec 9, 2004
California
NEW YORK (AP) -- Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN after 18 years, insisting there is no acrimony but saying he was beginning to take his job for granted.

The former SportsCenter anchor announced his decision on his radio show Monday and said his final show will be Aug. 17. Patrick said he hoped to continue working in radio but wasn't sure if he would do any more television.

"It's been home, but I think I was starting to take it for granted, and I did not want to do that," Patrick said on the air. "I did not think that was fair to these great people."

Patrick said ESPN executives tried to talk him out of his decision. He originally planned to make the announcement last week, but they asked him to reconsider.

"If there was animosity, I wouldn't be doing radio shows after this one today," he said.

Patrick recently served as host of the NBA studio program on ABC, NBA Countdown, and the network's game broadcasts, including the NBA finals. He was a SportsCenter anchor from 1989-06.

He has hosted The Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio since 1999. During his last week, ESPN Radio will look back at memorable moments from the show.

"Dan has accomplished so much over the past two decades at ESPN and fans and newsmakers have turned to him for his steady and trusted approach," ESPN executive vice president for production Norby Williamson said in a statement. "We wish him the very best."

Patrick was honored as National Sportscaster of the Year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association in 2000 and received a Sports Emmy Award in the Studio Host category in 1998.

He was a sports anchor/reporter for CNN from 1983-89.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
People don't actually leave for such altruistic reasons. I wonder what's really going on. Not that you really see him on that much anyway.

Kid Brock

No longer VegasBrock
Jul 26, 2005
Las Vegas
Not that I cared for him, but that should about do it for the white guys there. Might as well just call it the BET Sports Network and have shows like Boo-Ya Center and Al Sharpton's Pardon the Interruption.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
There goes the last shred of journalistic integrity and competance from that channel.

LBF

Banned
Jun 18, 2005
West Tennessee
People don't actually leave for such altruistic reasons. I wonder what's really going on. Not that you really see him on that much anyway.

I'm guessing we'll see Mr. Patrick signing a very lucrative deal to host his own show on XM/Sirius in the near future. Or, possibly jump ship to the other sports network FOX.

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
good riddance...the guy should have left years ago...

Aug 12, 2005
PA
When I listened to sports talk all day at work before I got XM I liked to listen to his show. But it just wasn't the same after Dibs left. I haven't listened to his show in almost 2 years.

dodisman

Feb 20, 2005
When I listened to sports talk all day at work before I got XM I liked to listen to his show. But it just wasn't the same after Dibs left. I haven't listened to his show in almost 2 years.
Right...show sucked it after Dibs left

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
i always like his show on ESPN radio. Him and Reggie Miller are always funny.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Did they find a new Price is Right host yet? Because when Barker announced he was leaving I thought Dan Patrick would make the perfect replacement. Now all the sudden he's leaving. Hmmm...

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Did they find a new Price is Right host yet? Because when Barker announced he was leaving I thought Dan Patrick would make the perfect replacement. Now all the sudden he's leaving. Hmmm...

He said he was not going to host the Price is Right. His mom really wants him to though...... ha!

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
There goes the last shred of journalistic integrity and competance from that channel.
Yeah, Patrick is the last at ESPN. Fucking Michael Wilbon gets on my nerves now, which is a prerequisite for being at ESPN. Black guys there are brutal, Wilbon and Stephen A Smith, ughgh. Someone should firebomb Bristol CT

sledge30

Oct 17, 2005
Inverness, Florida
Stepen A. Smith is the worst. He is a homer through and through and that always gets in the way of his "journalism" I havent lived in the Philly area in a while, but when he used to go on WIP it was lets find a CD to play because it was painful to listen to him. He is a Media attention whore(Look at my cool new suit)and a fuckin douche

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
I hate him. Shouting at the top of your lungs does not make you edgy.