Dane Cook to Star in NBC Comedy Pilot set in the office of a satellite radio station.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
You got to read this. Mentioned in a spyreport on Ron & Fez.

Hollywood Reporter

Dane Cook to Star in NBC Comedy Pilot
The comedian-turned-feature actor will play a grouchy alpha male DJ in "Next Caller Please" from "Weeds" producer Stephen Falk.

4:15 PM PST 2/29/2012 by Lesley Goldberg

The stand-up comic-turned-feature actor has been tapped to star in NBC's comedy pilot Next Caller Please, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The single-camera series revolves around Cam Doherty, a brash alpha male DJ and his feminist co-host set in the office of a satellite radio station.

Cook will play Cam, the disheveled, unshaven, hung-over and purposely detached magnetic grouch who doesn't like that his co-host is a woman. :icon_lol:

Weeds producer Stephen Falk will write and executive produce Next Caller Please. Like Weeds, the project hails from Universal Television and Lionsgate TV. Marc Buckland will direct the pilot

Collette Wolfe will play his co-host, Stella, in the gender comedy, while Joy Osmanski is on board to portray Winnie, Stella's producer, who recruits her to the radio show.

Cook's casting is the latest in a string of feature actors booking broadcast pilots. He joins Kevin Bacon (Kevin Williamson's serial killer drama), Cuba Gooding Jr. (Fox's Guilty), Mira Sorvino (CBS' Trooper) and Dennis Quaid (CBS' untitled Ralph Lamb Western), among others.

Cook, whose recent credits include features My Best Friend's Girl, Dan in Real Life, Mr. Brooks and Employee of the Month, is repped by UTA and Jackoway Tyerman. Cook's casting comes as part of the actor's overall deal at the network, which he inked in September.

Known for his stand-up comedy, Cook also guest starred last year on CBS' Hawaii Five-0. Should Next Caller Please be ordered to series, it would mark his first starring turn on network show.

Email: Lesley.Goldberg@thr.com; Twitter: @Snoodit

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
They should have come up with a more creative name for Cam, like "Opie".

Konstantin K

Big League Poster
Aug 25, 2010
I don't see why it needs to be a satellite radio show as opposed to terrestrial radio. It's not like they'll be using salty language or addressing "offensive" subject matter on NBC.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Collette Wolfe is hot though.

Miss Phil Hartman.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
They should have come up with a more creative name for Cam, like "Opie".
"Did he just spend the entire episode talking about the studio's lighting? And it's a two parter?"

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
"Did he just spend the entire episode talking about the studio's lighting? And it's a two parter?"
Since it's pretty clear who and what they're basing the show on, I'm guessing there will be a couple scenes throughout the show's likely 2 episode run featuring fights with management. I'm assuming since 20 minutes of the radio show = all 20 hours they broadcast that week, one 2 minute scene of him bitching about his boss will probably be thought of as an entire 22 minute episode by some folks.

Collette Wolfe is in some weird place between "hot" and "oddly hot".

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004

"whaa"

Second time today I don't get the reference. I'm really slipping.

DeadAnus

Nov 14, 2009
How does Joe Rogan feel about this?

CaffeeDiva

Feb 14, 2012
I don't see why it needs to be a satellite radio show as opposed to terrestrial radio. It's not like they'll be using salty language or addressing "offensive" subject matter on NBC.
Maybe because terrestrial is so rigid in it's format whereas Satellite can go for hours at a time, at least for O&A, Ron and Fez and Howard. I don't know if any of the other shows have any autonomy or if they have to hit regular breaks like the Morning Mash-up people.

That's a stretch though, since it's probably not going to be realistic even beyond the language.

Rash Rendering

Feb 9, 2010
Dane Cook playing a shockjock? AND there's a hole on the show? I can't wait to miss this.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

"whaa"

Second time today I don't get the reference. I'm really slipping.
"magnetic grouch."

"Your last name is Garrelli?"
Damned fine show.

A seer predicts, canceled, due to shitty ratings.
I predict never makes it to series.

Maybe because terrestrial is so rigid in it's format whereas Satellite can go for hours at a time, at least for O&A, Ron and Fez and Howard. I don't know if any of the other shows have any autonomy or if they have to hit regular breaks like the Morning Mash-up people.

That's a stretch though, since it's probably not going to be realistic even beyond the language.
You are aware that this is not a Truman Show style fictional series about radio? Do you think the ability to do long form would even come up as a subject? And language? Fair enough, you can probably get away with more on nework television than you can on terrestrial-radio, but not as much as on satellite radio. Still, it wouldn't matter.

Collette Wolfe is in some weird place between "hot" and "oddly hot".
I agree but in that scenario I give it to hot. I think she ticks closer to hot than oddly hot, though she is closer to the middle than either side.

Though I do wonder- why satellite radio. Is Sirius-XM sponsoring it? Are they treating satellite like the dregs of radio? Do they think the word satellite makes it hipper? Because the concept sounds more like big market hero turned into small market loser.

ughh

Nov 14, 2010
Sounds cool. Dane is a good guy, hopefully he gets Bob Kelly, Jimmy etc. spots as "guests" on his fictional show. Maybe if it is a hit, O&A can guest star once and a while.

oldmandick

Back In Black!!
Donator
Jan 15, 2005
Goa Way
I suspect that some focus group thought that it would be perceived as being more edgy ...

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ

UCJOE

I have a lot of business with the Chinese
Mar 7, 2009
NJ
Since it's pretty clear who and what they're basing the show on,
A show about an alpha-male that hates his chick co-host in your mind is "clear" they are basing it on O&A????
Only on Wackbag

Unless you mean Opie is the chick of course :action-sm

CaffeeDiva

Feb 14, 2012
"magnetic grouch."
You are aware that this is not a Truman Show style fictional series about radio? Do you think the ability to do long form would even come up as a subject? And language? Fair enough, you can probably get away with more on nework television than you can on terrestrial-radio, but not as much as on satellite radio. Still, it wouldn't matter.
Yeah I know I was just pulling out of my ass. My point was more to say that maybe they want "craziness" to go down with implied nudity, or implied swearing (bleeped for television like Arrested Development perhaps) or some other implied thing that they wouldn't show on Network anyways, so it makes sense.

But, like I said, that's the only reason I can see. It's maybe just part of the inspiration of the creator or execs think it's more hip? Again, I'm aware I know nothing.

This seems to be closely along the lines of 30 Rock, which I don't even think is signed to continue past 2012, and if it is, it's going on without Alec Baldwin.

As a single camera shoot, who knows how it turns out. That siad, all the hip people who like 30 Rock tend to hate Dane Cook because of whatever it is. I don't know, he works out too much. I myself am not a huge fan but the hate for him is unfair, imo.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
Side note - Mira Sorvino shooting a pilot called "Trooper" where she plays a housewife that gets the bright idea to become a NY State Trooper. facepalm.jpg

If they do it accurately, it will be the most boring show in the world. First half hour - writing speed citations. Second half hour - sitting in court listening to some moron try to use legal terms to prove he/she wasn't actually speeding. Once a season there will be a car chase. If the show lasts a few years, maybe she will have to shoot somebody.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
A show about an alpha-male that hates his chick co-host in your mind is "clear" they are basing it on O&A????
Only on Wackbag

Unless you mean Opie is the chick of course :action-sm
Yes, there's absolutely no connection here at all.
[Yt]W-_sABor77E[/Yt]

You're right about one thing - only on wackbag.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Side note - Mira Sorvino shooting a pilot called "Trooper" where she plays a housewife that gets the bright idea to become a NY State Trooper. facepalm.jpg
The Simpsons did it already. Seriously, they did.

Honestly, I struggled to figure out which 202er Dane Cook is playing. The best I could come up with was Anthony.