Daniel Bryan announces retirement

mr. sin

the fake sport lost another 1

http://www.wwe.com/inside/daniel-bryan-announces-retirement?sf20572893=1

Daniel Bryan announced today on Twitter that, effective immediately, he would be retiring from in-ring competition. The former WWE World Heavyweight Champion revealed that he would elaborate on tonight's episode of Raw.

Due to medical reasons, effective immediately, I am announcing my retirement. Tonight on Raw, I'll have a chance to elaborate. #gratitude

— Daniel Bryan (@WWEDanielBryan) February 8, 2016

Ego

The Only Thing Bigger Than My Head
Guess WWE docs couldn't support his continued activity. Probably didn't want his brain to go all kablooey. I hope they keep him on camera in some fashion. I'm sure there's a place for him in the company.

It sucks that he might never wrestle again, but if this keeps him from one day pulling a Benoit or turning into a mumbling drooling mess then it's the right call.

Ego

I can see him being a manager and/or on that panel during pay per views. This isn't the end for him; just the start of something else.

Medicine Man

Yacht Rockin' with the SS Waffen
Donator
Fucking shame. Went to a few ROH shows where he set the place on fire. This is just awful. Such a great mind for the squared circle.

Ego

Makes me wonder if he got some kind of preemptive payout to keep him away from the concussion lawsuits going around right now.

Lord Zero

I'm guessing neck problems and I suspect that using the diving headbutt on a regular basis is what caused them.

Medicine Man

Donator
He probably wants to get out of his WWE contract because they won't clear him to wrestle.

NJPW won't have a problem clearing him though...

Based on what he said last night, I don't think he's going to go anywhere else to wrestle. I hope he ends up with at least the occasional on-screen role. I'd love it if they worked an angle where he wound up as the Raw GM or even just as a special referee once in a while. I'm glad they didn't cut him short last night. That 20+ minutes probably got the best rating that the final hour has seen in years.

Medicine Man

Donator

As much as he wants to start a family, you can tell that giving up his livelihood is taking its toll on him.

It's a healthier toll than repeat concussions mind you, but still.

Ego

Saw some clickbait stories that said he got diagnosed with some brain issues. Sucks that he has to deal with that, but it comes with his profession. Hope he stays out of action for his own health.

Lord Zero

Saw some clickbait stories that said he got diagnosed with some brain issues. Sucks that he has to deal with that, but it comes with his profession. Hope he stays out of action for his own health.
From D-Bry's Wikipedia page:
After receiving further diagnostic information that convinced him retirement was necessary, Bryan announced his retirement via Twitter prior to the February 8, 2016 episode of Raw.[10][12][13] The following day on ESPN, Bryan revealed that he had suffered over 10 documented concussions during his wrestling career and had been affected by post-concussion seizures, which he had previously kept hidden. He added that EEG scans had revealed that he was suffering from swelling of the brain and an acute brain lesion.[296]

pnigga

hold my hand, dane

As much as he wants to start a family, you can tell that giving up his livelihood is taking its toll on him.

It's a healthier toll than repeat concussions mind you, but still.
man, that picture is heartbreaking. I genuinely feel for the dude because in a sense it is like the entire universe conspired to prevent him from ever truly getting where he deserved to be. I was initially very skeptical of him in WWE (more because of WWE's atrocious writing than anything else) but it was hard to deny his talent no matter how much hack shit the Michael Coles and JBLs of the world tried to spin in front of him. that night on Raw where he turned on the Wyatts and buried Bray Wyatt in that steel cage is a moment that will stick with me forever. I've watched wrestling for over 30 years and those few minutes with that crowd as behind him as any crowd has ever been behind anybody is a top 5 moment for me.

Lord Zero

man, that picture is heartbreaking. I genuinely feel for the dude because in a sense it is like the entire universe conspired to prevent him from ever truly getting where he deserved to be.
He got there, he just wasn't able to stay there for an length of time. He went over Triple H, then Randy Orton and Batista in the main event at WrestleMania XXX. It was a great moment. Then he got a shitty feud with Kane and then neck surgery and a long hiatus. Either way, it wasn't fair and I feel bad for him.

Ego

At least it's being caught now.

Papagolash

24.24.2.2194 [Incarcerated]
Wackbag Staff
man, that picture is heartbreaking. I genuinely feel for the dude because in a sense it is like the entire universe conspired to prevent him from ever truly getting where he deserved to be. I was initially very skeptical of him in WWE (more because of WWE's atrocious writing than anything else) but it was hard to deny his talent no matter how much hack shit the Michael Coles and JBLs of the world tried to spin in front of him. that night on Raw where he turned on the Wyatts and buried Bray Wyatt in that steel cage is a moment that will stick with me forever. I've watched wrestling for over 30 years and those few minutes with that crowd as behind him as any crowd has ever been behind anybody is a top 5 moment for me.

That crowd pop and chant along is easily as loud as the crowds back in the Attitude era.

Medicine Man

Donator

Watch from 2:00 on. You can see him suffer one of these seizures around the 2:20 mark. Fucking frightening shit.

Foggy

all mayo is actually my cum
Donator
So how in the fuck did Mick Foley last so long?

So how in the fuck did Mick Foley last so long?
Cheeseburgers instead of steroids.

Anyway, I've been following Bryan ever since Ring of Honor's debut, and he's always been everything great about pro wrestling, so it really sucks to see him go. I'm still hoping against hope that he has one more match. At WrestleMania 32. Against A.J. Styles.