NETFLIX Daredevil

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
Apparently, there are seasons of Jess and Pun in the works for next year. But after that pfft.

Radioguy

Having it my way since '98
Apparently, there are seasons of Jess and Pun in the works for next year. But after that pfft.
With DD gone, I can't help but expect some bad news there too. Maybe that both are their last seasons at best, but it's hard to imagine JJ going forward when DD doesn't, and I loved JJ for Tennan't Kilgrave. Bernthal deserves a film; fuck a series.

JoeyDVDZ

Donator
With DD gone, I can't help but expect some bad news there too. Maybe that both are their last seasons at best, but it's hard to imagine JJ going forward when DD doesn't, and I loved JJ for Tennan't Kilgrave. Bernthal deserves a film; fuck a series.
I think if Netflix has enough already filmed they would push through with a wrap up season each of JJ & Pun. At least give them closure.

I guess the curse of IF was just too big to overcome. Whoever greenlit that weak acting schlub to play Danny Rand should be taken out back and shot. Just such a milquetoast actor. No range or depth. Also, the choreography of his fight scenes in the first season made it laughably obvious that he had zero martial arts skill, let alone enough to believably portray a guy who spent his entire life being trained by kung fu monks.

I'm sort of okay with DD being shut down. Haven't seen the season that's out there yet, will get to it soon, but meh.

I will miss JJ & Punisher. Those two had some life left in them. Punisher especially.

LiddyRules

I'm ready for them to be over tbh.
This news might actually get me to watch Punisher. But yeah. I'm fine with them going. I blame Defenders and the lack of variety between the shows.

This news might actually get me to watch Punisher. But yeah. I'm fine with them going. I blame Defenders and the lack of variety between the shows.
I really started to sour on Marvel Netflix when they came out with Iron Fist. It was clear then that they thought shoving any shit in a cape in our faces would keep the audience sated regardless of whether or not the show was any good.

I also agree that the lack of variety was a major problem. Having 6 shows mainly set in NYC and following essentially the same formula is so repetitive that it becomes tedious to watch at times.

LiddyRules

Even Ward with his Sega Game Gear couldn't save the Netflix shows.
You know he was saved from The Snap. Neither the universe nor Thanos would prevent him from having his Home Alone adventure. Especially after he told his totally lame sister he wished she never existed the night before.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
So here is a thought. since there hasn't been any real connection between the shows and the MCU on the MCU end, when they are done with the MCN run.....do you think they could reuse/recast one or more of them?

The idea that we will never get a Daredevil/Spiderman team up in the MCU just blows.

Other possible causes of death:

1. Too many episodes. Each season should had 10, with the Defenders maybe getting twelve.

2. Outside of Kilgrave, Kingpin, and Cottonmouth, the villains weren't that impressive. Especially The Hand.

3. The rush to get to the Defenders. I think if they took there time with it, they could found a better actor to play Iron Fist. Or at least make sure Finn Jones spent some time learning martial arts.

4. Claire. I like Rosario Dawson. But I think using her for all 5 shows was a mistake. If they were going to do that, they should had her be killed by the Hand so it would be the catalyst for the Defenders coming together.

5. This one is more personal wishful thinking, but I still think these shows should have been set in the 1970s'. Despite the problems this city now has, 2018 NYC isn't dangerous enough to warrant having 5 superheros each defending a different part of it.

6. Not all the shows were created equal. Daredevil and Luke Cage had a strong supporting casts. Iron Fist and Jessica Jones did not. The same goes for the writing across all four shows.

So here is a thought. since there hasn't been any real connection between the shows and the MCU on the MCU end, when they are done with the MCN run.....do you think they could reuse/recast one or more of them?

The idea that we will never get a Daredevil/Spiderman team up in the MCU just blows.
I think Charlie Cox is a good of enough actor to play DareDevil on the big screen. I wouldn't mind see Luke Colter come back with a different actor playing Iron Fist.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I think Charlie Cox is a good of enough actor to play DareDevil on the big screen. I wouldn't mind see Luke Colter come back with a different actor playing Iron Fist.
I agree 100%.

I just don't see them doing it without a clean break from the MNU.

LiddyRules

With there now being a finite number of these episodes (pretty much), maybe I'll jump in from Punisher and finish them out once I knock off a few other shows. I guess that also means I have to watch Iron Fist S1 in its entirety. Sheesh!

Here's my list of some of the reasons why The MCU Netflix Universe failed. (Assuming that Disney+ wouldn't have killed it regardless.)

1) Iron Fist is Not Asian

Obviously, he doesn't need to be Asian, but I honestly think it would have helped. And not because of political correctness, but because those people naturally know martial arts.

Probably their biggest misstep after the lack of variety was the casting of Finn Jones. Pudgy slacker wasn't the right vision, and I think making Danny an Anglicized Asian would have added a unique angle to the character. It could have helped cut off a lot of criticism of the "racist" origin of the character (but I still maintain it's not even Asian culture - it's some mixed bag of nonsense coked up writers in the 70s came up with after watching a 24 hour Hong Kong marathon in Times Square), and it could have gotten them points for having the first Asian superhero. (Even with the inevitable articles titled "[Asian Man's] Casting as Iron Fist Is a Start, But Iron Fist's Problematic Past Remains.")

But there are less groveling reasons too - it would have been a smart business decision. Asian actors are having a bit of a renaissance and there are charismatic ones out there - Steven Yeun's the first one that comes to mind, but there's plenty. It would have opened the MCU to a whole new demographic whereas -- are there any actual Finn Jones fans? And it would better play into the concept of Defenders being about four different reviled groups: Asians, blacks, women and most disgusting of all, Irish.

Plus as a kid, an Asian Danny could have gotten Ward all these Asian import games and that would have been tight!

(And yes, the ethnicity of Danny wouldn't have been an issue if whoever played him wasn't completely horrendous. But because he was, you can't help but think of alternate approaches, and I do think this is an instance where diversity would have bolstered the shows.)

2) Defenders/No Villain

As much as we made fun of the Cancer Factory, the main villain in The Defenders totally should have been the Cancer Factory with the Cancer Factory being the thing that gave 3 of the characters their powers. It would have been a great way to bring everyone together and give the series an emotional core. You can even loop Danny into it. Ward Sr. was a Hand fellow, right? Ward Sr. could have brought down Danny's dad's plane on behalf of The Hand because he was going to rat out the Cancer Factory. You could even eliminate The Hand entirely. Cancer Factory = Profits. No Cancer Factory = No Profits. Ward Sr. has motives outside of The Hand. Either way, all four have skin in the game now.

Instead, load bearing dragon bones. I don't get it. I guess it's part of The Hand mythology but The Hand sucked. It was a bunch of arcade game-style button mashing Ninjas that I'm fairly certain neither Luke nor Jessica knew about. They couldn't even make Chao the head of the organization, it had to be Sigourney Weaver whose goal was... immortality, I guess. Someone who was never alluded to in any of the previous seasons wants something that doesn't affect any of the characters. That's our unifying force. Such a waste.

Plus the street thing. Defenders are supposed to be the street level, fight for the little guy counterpart to the Avengers. But their big villain was more fantastical than anything in the movies. I mean it's immortality dragon bones - it's literally the fantasy genre. Nothing to do with drugs or gangs or street territory. It wasn't about The Hand funding underground groups or quietly being agent provocateurs or making life worse for New Yorkers in general. At some point, New York would have fallen into a sink hole. That was it. How they completely missed the point of the characters is beyond me.

3) No variety/Too long

These could be their own segments or they can combine since they both speak to the same issue. There's little variety between the shows and within the shows, and 13 plodding episodes make it harder to deal with when there's so much other stuff out there to watch and do. 6, 8, maybe even 10 episode? Sure. That's doable. 13 is groan inducing. Defenders should have been a two hour Netflix movie for all the story they had. But it would have been a solid 2 hour movie though instead of a terrible 6 or 8 episode series.

Made even worse because of the ways the shows were set up. There was no opportunity for them to change up the formula. They couldn't do that offbeat episode that all longer episode count shows do to break things up. And while initially it felt novel that they couldn't do that, that novelty wore off - as all novelties do - and the lacklustre backhalfs of Daredevil Season 2 (Elektra never became anything) and Luke Cage Season 1 showed the limitations. That doesn't mean that I wanted them to go full comedy or do a space show or do a musical episode, but a different city at least.

Last edited:

Frankie_b

Talk softly and drive a big tank!
So, are these being cancelled because of dinseys own streaming service or because of future movies for the characters and x-men characters ect?

So, are these being cancelled because of dinseys own streaming service or because of future movies for the characters and x-men characters ect?
I think its the latter. This according to Forbes:

Did Netflix cancel the Marvel shows because of Disney+? Well, yes and no.

Netflix pays money to produce the Marvel shows, but they don't own the IP. Those shows have clear and consistent branding to Marvel Studios. So when the Disney+ service starts airing other Marvel shows tied to the popular films, any Marvel series on Netflix will service as de facto advertising for the other Marvel shows on Disney+. In that way, then, the Marvel-Netflix shows were about to become marketing for a streaming service that directly competes with Netflix.

Likewise, Disney is going to pull all of their content from Netflix, so Netflix will generally lack a relationship with Marvel's parent company and will be losing a lot of popular content that transitions over to the competing Disney+ service. So if Netflix kept making the Marvel shows, then they would be producing content owned by someone else that would serve to drive consumers to a competing service full of content explicitly taken away from Netflix.

In that context, it's not hard to already see why the business decision to cease production on the Marvel shows is a logical one for Netflix. Like it or not, it's a reasonable and fair position for a company to take, even if it means fans of the shows (of which I'm obviously one) are deprived of content we love.

The "no" part gets into technical reasons why Netflix would do it.

LiddyRules

Now Save Daredevil digital billboards are appearing in Times Square.