DARPA's Body-Filling Foam To Save Lives

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
Fill Me Up: DARPA's Body-Filling Foam To Save Lives

December 12, 2012 / bleeding out, bullet holes, DARPA, don't think i don't see what you're doing here DARPA!, getting stabbed, getting stabby, good ideas, i mean as long as it doesn't make me explode, life saving, man i've been stabbed before that shit suuuuuucks, medical, monopoly, playing both sides, robot apocalypse, robots, sure why not, wounds

So some DARPA robot stabs you in the gut, what are you gonna do? ANSWER: Get pumped full of some DARPA Wound Statis foam to apply pressure to the wound, slow the bleeding, and save your life. DARPA: Monopolizing both sides of the robotic apocalypse.
A foam-based technology has been developed which is designed to fill in the spaces in an injured victim's abdominal cavity, creating pressure in the voids, and substantially reducing blood loss from internal bleeding. In fact, early tests have shown a six-fold reduction in blood loss, and a dramatic increase in 3-hour survival rates from 8 percent to 72 percent.

The foam is injected into the patient's abdomen using a two-part compound that expands when mixed together. The foam then conforms to the inside of the body cavity, slowing internal bleeding. Once the patient can be stabilized at a hospital, the foam can be removed by a surgeon.​
I know it sounds weird, but I doubt you're going to be complaining about some gut foam if you're seriously bleeding out. Hell, you could stuff me full of penises for all I care, I just don't want to die. "You should get that on a medical bracelet." Maybe I will!
Hit the jump for an explanatory video.
http://www.geekologie.com/2012/12/fill-me-up-darpas-body-filling-foam-to-s.php

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I currently possess more than enough gut foam as it is.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
It is always interesting to see the progression of stuff like this...first the military, then it gets to the paramedic trucks. I can see this making it to out to street trucks w/i two years.