Dash cam video shows deadly shootout with Middlefield police during traffic stop

Dec 8, 2004
Maine

MIDDLEFIELD, Ohio - Dash cam video released from Middlefield police shows a man shooting at police with an assault rifle during a traffic stop in March.

During a news conference Friday, police showed the weapons and other items that were found in the suspect’s car.

According to police, officers pulled over James Gilkerson, 42, of Mentor-on-the-Lake, on March 10 for failing to stop at the intersection of East High Street and North State Avenue.

The video shows Gilkerson getting out of the car and firing an AK-47-style rifle at the police officers.

GRAPHIC VIDEO: Click on video player above to see unedited video of the ordeal. WARNING: Unedited clip shows officers killing suspect.

Officers Erin Thomas and Brandon Savage were injured by gunfire. Thomas was shot in the hand. Savage was able to fire back and strike Gilkerson.

Gilkerson then moves back toward his car and yells “kill me” while continuing to fire shots.

A report released by the Geauga County prosecutor’s office said Gilkerson fired 33 rounds at the officers. His gun had a 40-round magazine attached. Officer Savage fired 29 rounds.

Inside Gilkerson’s car, police found multiple loaded magazines and loads of ammunition, ski masks and gloves, military-style ammo cans, a scoped .22 caliber rifle, instructional DVDs and books such as “Kitchen Approved Plastic Explosives,” “Advance Close-Range Gunfighting,” Homemade Detonators” and others.
Link

I wonder what his malfunction was...

Gilkerson

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Now thats how you suicide by cop.

But seriously, him screaming "KILL ME" was some cold shit. Those cops are going to be spending some serious time in therapy for a long, long time.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
"I heard a bang, bang, a bang," said Christopher Coggins, who didn't realize what he heard were gunshots. "At worst, I thought it was firecrackers because it is a small town and nothing ever happens here."

Well, now something did happen. Congrats to ya.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
The comedic effect of the old codger asking if he can help then being told to get inside to which he replies "but I got a fence" was pretty hilarious.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
The comedic effect of the old codger asking if he can help then being told to get inside to which he replies "but I got a fence" was pretty hilarious.
Hoping a Kevlar fence with trauma plates...

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
I think those last 7 shots probably weren't necessary.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
I think those last 7 shots probably weren't necessary.
He was still moving and in possesion of greater fire power than the officers. It was totally nessessary for their for their safety.

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
He shot low into the windshield. He knew what the fuck he was doing. *Cold shutter*. He only said "kill me" after he was obviously gut shot.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
He shot low into the windshield. He knew what the fuck he was doing. *Cold shutter*. He only said "kill me" after he was obviously gut shot.
As a cop that has to be one your worst nightmares

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
He's was a coward. Anyone who doesn't have the balls to do it themselves and suicides by cop is a fucking chickenshit.
Maybe he wanted to go out with a "bang" because normal suicide seemed boring to him or maybe he just wanted to take someone with him. Either way, as the philosopher Doug Stanhope has noted, how many people in the world possess the nerve to decide to do something like that and actually go through with it? Cowardice this isn't.

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Either way, as the philosopher Doug Stanhope has noted, how many people in the world possess the nerve to decide to do something like that and actually go through with it? Cowardice this isn't.
Stanhope was referencing bullying. Those cops did nothing to deserve going through that, at least nothing against him personally. You could argue that he's brave in going through with it but he's also a coward because his primary goal was to force someone else to kill him, and that's pussy.

Hog's Big Ben

Getting ass-***** in The Octagon, brother.
Donator
Jul 28, 2005
New York
I like how the dude in the white car approaching the shooting scene sees what's going on and backs the fuck up.

So if this happened at least a month ago, why don't they know what his weapon was? Or is "AK-47 style" supposed to be enough?

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Mar 14, 2005
Covington. La
At least on the bright side he obeyed the law and had his AMD-65 equipped with an extended muzzle brake so it didn't run afoul of the NFA.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
He was still moving and in possesion of greater fire power than the officers. It was totally nessessary for their for their safety.
I'm talking about the 7 shots taken when he was on the ground and not moving.

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
I saw him move. Not much but enough to have made me light him up 7 more times
Ummm I would have done more... only way to be sure... as he might of dumped the mag in the AK... but he might have pulled out a pistol who knows... sorry if you shoot at the cops...

I did have a look if he posted some rantings etc... nothing as of yet.

tattered

Uber-Aryan
Wackbag Staff
Aug 22, 2002
JERZ
Ummm I would have done more... only way to be sure... as he might of dumped the mag in the AK... but he might have pulled out a pistol who knows... sorry if you shoot at the cops...

I did have a look if he posted some rantings etc... nothing as of yet.
Well 7 was prolly all the cop had left in the mag

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.
As a cop that has to be one your worst nightmares
When I do a traffic stop some of the scariest moments are when a car door pops open and somebody gets out. This is why you can't take your eyes off the stopped car for even a second. I've had a couple nightmares about being pinned down in my patrol car with no where to go, other then to sit up and return fire through the windshield. My buddy Jimmy died with a microphone in his hand and a citation book in his lap. He got ambushed by gang members that were in a van. They went out the side door where he couldn't see them until they were on top of him.

He never stood a chance. He was the first friend I knew that was murdered on the job. As far as shooting him 7 more times - So? He opened fire on the police wanting them to "kill me". He got his wish. Fuck him if he got a few extra holes.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You could argue that he's brave in going through with it but he's also a coward because his primary goal was to force someone else to kill him, and that's pussy.
Not necessarily. It's highly possible that he wanted go the suicide by cop route just to inflict psychological trauma. If that's the case, mission accomplished.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
When I do a traffic stop some of the scariest moments are when a car door pops open and somebody gets out.
When I took Driver's Ed a long time ago, the teacher taught us to get out and meet the cop when you get pulled over. First few times I got pulled I got out and everything was fine. Then something changed in the 80s and a cop told me to stay in. I've stayed in and took Ant's advice, light on, hands on wheel, window down.

Except for several years ago in Montana. A headlight went out and a cop pulled me over at dusk. He walked up and that was the exact time my electric window wouldn't work. I tried everything and he stood there watching and I finally opened the door. He was nice about it and told me to get the fuck out of Montana, which I did.