David Chase speaks...kind of.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Metro News Source:
>>"Sopranos" Creator Talks About Show's Finale
(Newark, NJ) -- David Chase is opening up about "The Sopranos" controversial series finale. In an interview with "The Star-Ledger," the creator says he and his wife fled to France to avoid the Monday morning frenzy over the final episode. Chase said he wants the much-talked-about final scene to speak for itself. Chase also told the paper that he has no interest in quote, "explaining, defending, reinterpreting or adding to what is there." Many speculate that the ending was the perfect setup for a movie but Chase says he hasn't thought much about making a movie version.

I don't see why everyone is pissed off about the damn show ending. It's fine from what I saw.

When you die (got hit by the guy at the bar, I think) you don't have a camera flying around looking at you and you don't get the chance to sit there thinking about everything.

It's pretty self-explanatory. He looked up and things went black. I'm thinking he just got shot in the face. End of story, end of a drug-on show that should have ended after a few seasons.

PDX909

This Chase cunt is dead to me. After seven fucking years invested in this show I deserved a better ending than that. And to Sam Adams.. I dont want to sit and think about it.. I want a fucking bloodbath, or Tony getting even and clipping that guy in the bathroom, or the fucking FBI storming the place and taking him down.... This trend of wishy washy conclusions in TV is bullshit and just shows a lack of imaginiation on the writer/director/producers part (Chase was all 3 for the finale)

If I could have started a new thread in the FU section I would have but this will have to do. FU David Chase, stay in France and eat an AIDS baguette.

distortion9

Satellite Of Hate
I don't see why everyone is pissed off about the damn show ending. It's fine from what I saw.

When you die (got hit by the guy at the bar, I think) you don't have a camera flying around looking at you and you don't get the chance to sit there thinking about everything.

It's pretty self-explanatory. He looked up and things went black. I'm thinking he just got shot in the face. End of story, end of a drug-on show that should have ended after a few seasons.
The problem with that is, we were looking AT Tony when things went black. If we were looking through HIS eyes, we would have been looking at Meadow. So, according to your theory, Carm was shot and killed because her world went "black".

LiddyRules

I Think I'll Eat An Apple
You died? How did it happen?

I still say the first 60 minutes completely sucked ass even if the final 5 minutes were good.

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
I'm not surprised at all. I never watched Sopranos on a regular basis, but did hear O&A talk about how it has sucked, and story lines the just go no where, or characters that just don't show up again.

I did watch the final episode because I knew everyone would be talking about it. After the initial "WTF Comcast??" (I do have trouble with the cable, so it was a reasonable WTF) I realized the ending would put the fans into a tailspin. It was actually a very expected ending given what David Chase has put the fans through. I'm so glad I didn't put the time in over the years.

You guys spent the last 3 seasons complaining about the show. Why is this such a big deal?

i couldn't see the show going out any other way. i can't believe some of you really wanted the predictable violent ending. they perfectly showed how paranoid he is every second of his life wondering when he is going to finally get killed. it was also basically his last night with his family before he possibly goes to prison "focus on the good times"

i could be wrong and he could have been shot but the beauty of the finale is you don't really know

The problem with that is, we were looking AT Tony when things went black. If we were looking through HIS eyes, we would have been looking at Meadow. So, according to your theory, Carm was shot and killed because her world went "black".
Well we know he wasn't looking at his daughter because he just had a cold look instead of being welcome. When you see a family member meeting with you do you look at them like a deer in headlights?

And you switched to his perspective then it would take the mystery away from who killed him. It would be plain and boring.

The camera also couldn't switch to his perspective after being shot, because he was killed. End of story.

mascan42

If they're going to end it like that, do the French Connection ending and have the sound of a gunshot at least.

Angelfuck

Part of the Ronnie B. crowd
Well we know he wasn't looking at his daughter because he just had a cold look instead of being welcome. When you see a family member meeting with you do you look at them like a deer in headlights?

And you switched to his perspective then it would take the mystery away from who killed him. It would be plain and boring.

The camera also couldn't switch to his perspective after being shot, because he was killed. End of story.
his point was since you weren't looking through tony's perspective you would've heard a gun shot, so at least give us that. If you want to be all dramatic and have it go silent than you have to view the scene through tony's eyes, its inconsistent. More than likely he got hit by the dude who went to the bathroom as meadow walks through the door, if thats the case then we're looking at tony through the gunmens eyes from the bathroom, where's the gunshot. gayest ending ever

UnOriginal

Companion Cube Lover
He fled to France, ahahaha. Who cares, it's over, no use being angry about a crappy ending. Chase's time in the spotlight is through.

Angelfuck

Part of the Ronnie B. crowd
I watched maybe 2 episodes this season probably not even 10 all together, I never really got into the show, I only watched the last scene of the finale and it blew

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Hopefully David Chase gets decapitated like the guy in The Omen while in France.
Flee to France?? Thankfully with the end of this show, we'll never hear about David Chase ever again, what a little bitch he is.

I don't think he died at the end. The whole final scene showed his paranoia, even though AJ reminded him that he once said to remember the good times. When Carmella says that Meadow had to go to the doctor, he gets scared until she says it's just to change her birth control. He looks up at every person who walks in with a concerned look on his face. He's half-expecting it to be another family member and half-expecting it to be someone looking to take him out. He always has to worry that he and his family aren't safe. Everyone's suspicious in his eyes now.

The sudden cut to black is just to signal the end of the show. We didn't see it coming and we didn't hear anything. It could also mean that he gets killed, but there was nobody left to have him killed in terms of what we'd been shown. The NY crew not only agreed to back off, but said they'd have no problem with Tony having Phil killed. Also, going to Holsten's wasn't some planned evening that anyone else knew about, so it seems unlikely that there'd be anyone there to kill him at that time.

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
I hope Chases screen goes black.
Lol...

That really did make me laugh.

I said I was done posting in the other thread so I will post this here:

I am totally convinced he was shot, and I believe Paulie did it. Paulie was always a dick and only pretended to like Tony. Plus, they hinted that he was up to something in the last two episodes.

They also mentioned that when you die, everything just goes black. Well, after the last scene the screen went black for a few seconds before the credits came on. This was supposed to emphasize for us to acknowledge the black nothingness. So my official opinion is that he was shot by Paulie.

That, or David Chase is a complete dick-wad and the ending had no meaning at all.

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
I don't think he died at the end. The whole final scene showed his paranoia, even though AJ reminded him that he once said to remember the good times. When Carmella says that Meadow had to go to the doctor, he gets scared until she says it's just to change her birth control. He looks up at every person who walks in with a concerned look on his face. He's half-expecting it to be another family member and half-expecting it to be someone looking to take him out. He always has to worry that he and his family aren't safe. Everyone's suspicious in his eyes now.

The sudden cut to black is just to signal the end of the show. We didn't see it coming and we didn't hear anything. It could also mean that he gets killed, but there was nobody left to have him killed in terms of what we'd been shown. The NY crew not only agreed to back off, but said they'd have no problem with Tony having Phil killed. Also, going to Holsten's wasn't some planned evening that anyone else knew about, so it seems unlikely that there'd be anyone there to kill him at that time.
I gotta agree with both parts of this post. To me the ending was all about paranoia. Wanting to move on and be happy with your family but at any minute his past can catch up with him.

Everyone kept saying the black people that came in were the ones that shot him in the ear and the guy in the members only jacket was phils nephew.
I read an article today that said Chase shot down both of those.

I liked the feelings of tension that the final scene evoked, I felt like tony felt but I think it was still a poor ending and a poor series finale.

Weakside brings up a good point about paulie but IMO your latter point about chase is probably more true

weakside

He was stupid. I was lucky. I will visit him soon.
By the way, here is a quote from IMDB given by David Chase that pretty much explains why he might have ended the show the way he did:

"Network television is all talk. I think there should be visuals on a show, some sense of mystery to it, connections that don't add up. I think there should be dreams and music and dead air and stuff that goes nowhere. There should be, God forgive me, a little bit of poetry."

BaLZaC~308

ONE OF THE COOL KIDS
By the way, here is a quote from IMDB given by David Chase that pretty much explains why he might have ended the show the way he did:

"Network television is all talk. I think there should be visuals on a show, some sense of mystery to it, connections that don't add up. I think there should be dreams and music and dead air and stuff that goes nowhere. There should be, God forgive me, a little bit of poetry."
I was right when I said it yesterday...

Chase = hipster douchebag

Fucking too cool for the room cocksucker

Xyn

3 letters, 0 meaning
I have no problem with a sense of mystery. But it is your vision you are presenting to us, so don't fucking leave us hanging.

I have no problem with a little quiet spot or dead air when used apropriately. I don't need mtv style ADD camera cutting bullshit. Music is great. Hell, I even dream sequences, which are far from my favorite, are tolerable in moderation.

Nowhere does that mean you should shit all over a series without any kind of resolution.

Either say that he goes on (but you never know what tomarow may bring), or he dies.

Cop out. That's all his ending deserves to be called.

Fucking hipster douchebag too cool for the room cocksucker is right.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
One thing Bothers me THE STAR LEDGER???????
He Spoke to the THE STAR ALLEDGER......that is a supremely hacky NJ Paper!!!!!!

J D

Staten Island Sucks
I dont want to sit and think about it.. I want a fucking bloodbath, or Tony getting even and clipping that guy in the bathroom, or the fucking FBI storming the place and taking him down.... This trend of wishy washy conclusions in TV is bullshit and just shows a lack of imaginiation on the writer/director/producers part (Chase was all 3 for the finale)
why?
The show is called "The Sopranos", not "The DiMeos". It wasn't really about the mafia, but more about a guy going into therapy because his mafia lifestyle is breaking him down. It was a Lifetime movie with organized crime being the background.

One thing Bothers me THE STAR LEDGER???????
He Spoke to the THE STAR ALLEDGER......that is a supremely hacky NJ Paper!!!!!!
hack? its the biggest NJ paper, north jersey atleast. tony picked up the star ledger paper in his driveway every time he did that throught the entire series

one thing the show did was stay very true the local facts, especially essex county

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
hack? its the biggest NJ paper, north jersey atleast. tony picked up the star ledger paper in his driveway every time he did that throught the entire series

one thing the show did was stay very true the local facts, especially essex county
Trust me it is hack, at least the sports desk was...they always got all the local results I sent in wrong.