DayZ

Poison The Well

Somebody poisoned the water-hole!
Jan 7, 2008
Texas
Alright, I've never played this but I'm seriously considering it after watching a series of videos about it. Basically, this is a mod for a game called Arma II that sets the game in a Zombie filled free-range environment where you can team up with friends or you can just be by yourself. I seriously say down and watched all of this guys videos in a row without stopping. They were EXHILARATING.

The first video is right when this guy starts with a group of his friends and then the videos progressively show him either staying with a group of people and then eventually just ending up with one dude. It LOOKS amazing just based on the content. YouTube has downgraded the quality of the video so keep that in mind when watching:

[YT]KRpPIyJDSEQ[/YT]
Rest of the series in Spoiler.
[YT]8gEMpcBTnJk[/YT]
[YT]54pbaLNLTlA[/YT]
[YT]Gf1M-9pKH4A[/YT]
[YT]xI7C5xlNXHc[/YT]
[YT]C_dVgaHeJx0[/YT]
[YT]SgtAvghXO4I[/YT]

Guilty Spark

It's freeing and refreshing
May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Yes I heard Kevin Pereira talking about this on Rogan's podcast.
In my infinite retardedness I searched around for the "Daisy" mod of "Armor II".
Glad you posted this as it looks fucking sick.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Too lazy to watch videos.

I want a free-roam zombie game where I can (eventually) find supplies to fortify a house/building to serve as a safehouse. Not just buying canned upgrades, but actually finding supplies to mod it in different ways, or at least a large number and variety of canned upgrades so it doesn't get stale.

Find a sledgehammer and start busting out staircases so there is only one access to an upper floor.

Board up windows, and cover them with heavy blankets to reduce light or noise escaping.

Find solar panels to power electronics.

Even to the point of possibly modding your chosen vehicle.

Guilty Spark

May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Just finished watching some of those vids and wow.

Tighten this thing up and put it on the next gen consoles and it'll be the new Halo/COD. What fucking win this game is. This really looks like the next step in FPS games.

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas

I want a free-roam zombie game where I can (eventually) find supplies to fortify a house/building to serve as a safehouse. Not just buying canned upgrades, but actually finding supplies to mod it in different ways, or at least a large number and variety of canned upgrades so it doesn't get stale.

Find a sledgehammer and start busting out staircases so there is only one access to an upper floor.

Board up windows, and cover them with heavy blankets to reduce light or noise escaping.

This seems to have some of that. However, I believe your desire to customize a safehouse is not really something that's going to be in the works for this particular game. It seems like finding ammo in this extremely hard and if you fuck up and run into a town without having any tact you're GOING to get fucked.

I did some more reading and it seems that the biggest enemy you'll face is other people. Apparently everyone just shoots anyone they come across either a) because they just wanna jack their shit or b) because they fear people who fall under category a. I guess this is why the Kotaku article I read about DayZ says at one point "this is what it's like when people ACTUALLY work together."

Seems fun enough but I would gather it gets pretty fucking frustrating when you get PKed and someone jacks your shit.

Guilty Spark

May 4, 2005
Long Island NY
Seems these guys used Twitter as a form of long range communication between the groups. what a great idea.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
I just watched three of the videos, it's actually pretty entertaining.

They need to have more ammo available... it would get old fast if you spent more time running from zombies than killing them.

Yesterdays Hero

She's better than you, Smirkalicious.
Jan 25, 2007
Canada. Land of the Fat.
Any semblance of a story? Is it just a mod with no point beyond living as long as you can? It's pretty hyper realistic. Was told someone playing walked by a fence, and gored their leg.

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas
Any semblance of a story? Is it just a mod with no point beyond living as long as you can? It's pretty hyper realistic. Was told someone playing walked by a fence, and gored their leg.
No story from what I've seen. I'm actually downloaded the main game now and I will be uploaded the DayZ mod tonight at some point.

As for the hyper-realism...yes, I've heard similar things. Like falling off a ladder will kill you if you fall far enough. You can bleed out if you don't bandage a wound. You have to maintain both hunger and thirst by scavenging food and water/drinks.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
I did some more reading and it seems that the biggest enemy you'll face is other people. Apparently everyone just shoots anyone they come across either a) because they just wanna jack their shit or b) because they fear people who fall under category a. I guess this is why the Kotaku article I read about DayZ says at one point "this is what it's like when people ACTUALLY work together." ...
From the videos I watched, most people were killed by their own friends with badly timed shots, backing over one another with vehicles etc. After that, it was other players they encountered. The only time the zombies managed to take them out, was because they were fighting with another group and they distracted them long enough for the zombies to swarm them. If you don't stay in once place for long and keep moving, you tend to survive longer.

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas
I was just playing for about 3 hours. This game is tough. You don't start out with any weapons and need to somehow find one without getting taken out by zombies. Problem is that most of the areas where there is lootable stuff.....is full of zombies. By far, the easiest time to loot is at night because you can just walk slowly down the roads of cities and you're not seen by anyone. I have yet to encounter another live person other than seeing someone running in the distance with a swarm chasing after them. So far, the only weapons I've come across are Makarovs, Winchester 1886s and Hatchets. The controls of this game are by far the most difficult thing to pick up. It's not your average first person shooter and takes quite a bit of getting used to.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Is there different levels of difficulties? It seemed like people were easily finding AR's, AK's and sniper rifles laying about.

GrammatonCleric

Nov 19, 2008
I think Arma II is on sale at Steam. I might have to get it just for this mod.

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas
Is there different levels of difficulties? It seemed like people were easily finding AR's, AK's and sniper rifles laying about.
Yes. But it's dependent on the difficulty of the server you are on. It seems that most servers are on the 'Regular' difficulty setting and a few are on 'Veteran.'
I think Arma II is on sale at Steam. I might have to get it just for this mod.
That's where I purchased my copy as well. Make sure you get the Arma 2 with the additional Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead expansion. The set of them is $23.99 on Steam.

Here's a link to the DayZ mod website. You can find directions on installing it.
http://dayzmod.com/

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas
Just for reference of the vastness of the map:

It's actual size too. Game time is synced with local time, so if it's dark where the server is located, it's dark in game.

First encounter with another player today. He lit me up with an AK and jacked all my shit. Didn't have much so he wasted the ammunition for nothing really.

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
They're definitely on the right path here, but they need to fine-tune the game. A good sandbox zombie game would motivate me to buy a new computer. Like Woodenplank said, if you could fortify yourself it would be really fun. Hell just the zombie mods from counterstrike were a blast for that reason. Find a place to hold up and try to hold of the horde.

transit grinder

Baglin' with the Sex
Apr 16, 2008
Tennessee
I must admit the fortification of a stronghold mechanic would have me on board right away. I was hoping for that in Dead Island when I finally arrived at that Lifeguard Compound or whatever. Was hoping I would be able to customize my stomping ground - but no.

Poison The Well

Jan 7, 2008
Texas
I must admit the fortification of a stronghold mechanic would have me on board right away. I was hoping for that in Dead Island when I finally arrived at that Lifeguard Compound or whatever. Was hoping I would be able to customize my stomping ground - but no.
Well I wouldn't be surprised if they added it in the future. In Arma 2 you can construct bases and defensive structures. It really wouldn't be hard to add it in. The game is still in Alpha do its very glitchy and I'm sure they will be added more things as they fine tune it.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
This is interesting.

Zombies Eat the World in The War Z MMO.

There's another zombie apocalypse game in town, and this one may remind you of a certain Arma 2 mod.

I'm sure none of you are tired of zombies, right? Those frisky little devils still warm the cockles of your heart no doubt, and luckily enough new development studio Hammerpoint Interactive has created a survival MMO for you. This RPG The War Z will put you in the travel-worn boots of a survivor in the middle of a zombie apocalypse. If you're getting Day Z flashbacks at this point, you're spot on; this game isn't very far away from the Arma 2 mod that has become so popular it nearly fried its servers.

According to executive producer Sergey Titov, Hammerpoint was working on The War Z before the Arma 2 mod took off, but once it did Hammerpoint started paying close attention. "We were like, 'Wow, that's cool, we're not the only ones making something like this,'" Titov said. Hammerpoint soon realized that the success of Day Z meant that they were on the right track, and they also started paying attention to what worked and didn't work for the Arma 2 mod. Titov makes it sound as though Day Z was a beta they didn't have to pay for, as he admits that "yes, of course some of our latest design decisions were influenced by the Day Z community forums."

The War Z will hit beta soon, and is due for a PC release this autumn.

Source: Eurogamer

http://thewarz.com/

Plunkies

Jun 28, 2006

The game you're looking for is called Project Zomboid. Has basically all that stuff, plus it's moddable. It's in alpha right now and I think they're looking to get on Steam's project greenlight thing.

I'm very interested in DayZ but I'm going to wait until they either straighten out the bugs, or I'll just wait till Arma 3 since I'm definitely getting that anyway.

I watch a lot of Destiny playing DayZ. He's a really funny pro sc2 player and was streaming tons of DayZ for a while. He's had some hysterical moments but not much of it is on youtube.

[YT]lHRdBjL7rD0[/YT]

[YT]Xz5ecEEVN1Y[/YT]