Cineverse DC Universe News, Rumors and Discussion

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
There was some speculation this week that Matt Reeves was quitting The Batman. He debunked it, and then ..

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
IF Matt Reeves were to quit The Batman, I think DC should see it as a sign that maybe they should put the character on the shelf for awhile.

Pigdango

Donator
Oh boy...

https://www.thewrap.com/todd-phillips-joker-batman-80s-comedian-scorsese-king-of-comedy-scorcese/

‘Joker’ Origin Film to Portray Batman Villain as Failed ’80s Comedian (Exclusive)
Todd Phillips’ planned “Joker” origin movie will portray Batman’s arch-nemesis as a failed 1980s comedian who becomes the clown prince of crime after bombing with audiences, insiders exclusively told TheWrap.

Many fans scratched their heads when news first broke that Martin Scorsese, who has eschewed superhero films in the past, would be a producer of the film. But his involvement makes more sense given his work on 1982’s “King of Comedy,” which starred Robert De Niro as a deluded comedian who can’t catch a break. The Joker origin story will include nods to that film, insiders told TheWrap.

Joaquin Phoenix is close to a deal to play the Joker in Phillips’ film, which will show audiences laughing at the Joker instead of with him. The film is eyeing a mid- to late-2018 production start, but an insider with knowledge of the project said it could be delayed by rewrites, which are currently underway by Phillips and “8 Mile” veteran Scott Silver.

Pigdango

Donator
This might be one of my all time best #NailedIts

If I'm running the "how do we fix this?" meetings happening at WB right now, here's my plan:

1. Ezra Miller is out as Flash, Grant Gustin is in. No solo Flash movie while the TV show is on.
  2. Cavill stays as Superman, but when Superman returns, he returns with the Williams theme and the change in attitude to go with it.
  3. Batman Under the Red Hood takes Justice League's spot on the schedule.
  4. Superman Lives takes Flash's spot on the schedule
  5. The New Gods get a film to provide an introduction and context to Darkseid instead of jamming all that into Justice League.
The New Gods get a film!

https://deadline.com/2018/03/ava-duvernay-new-gods-movie-warner-bros-dc-jack-kirby-1202338680/

Lord Zero

I still don't believe this.

And to start the bit...

Wanna know how I got my teeth?
"It's simple, we kill the Batman by having him slip in a puddle of AIDS."
"I just want my daughters to look down on my coffin and say, 'Daddy was like a dog chasing cars.'"
"Good tidings, all that
You big, grouchy bat
Oohh!"
"I used to have a homeless henchman, which was great because when we were done blowing up hospitals, I could drop him off anywhere."

Pigdango

Donator
Because Steppenwolf went over so fucking well?
Steppenwolf was a pretty minor character in the original series. They can just leave him out. I imagine this will focus mostly on Big Barda and Mister Miracle.

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder
Steppenwolf was a pretty minor character in the original series. They can just leave him out. I imagine this will focus mostly on Big Barda and Mister Miracle.
I get that, I just think Steppenwolf would have soured people on the entire New Gods concept. Do you know how hard it is to be the worst thing in the entire DCEU? Maybe comic book movies as a whole?

Not that it's gone forever, but table it until the stink is less stinky. And you can introduce new designs.

Pigdango

Donator
I get that, I just think Steppenwolf would have soured people on the entire New Gods concept. Do you know how hard it is to be the worst thing in the entire DCEU? Maybe comic book movies as a whole?

Not that it's gone forever, but table it until the stink is less stinky. And you can introduce new designs.
Mainstream peeps don’t even know what he is. To the majority of people he was just a random cgi nothing. If Duvernay can make a movie that is completely different stylistically from the Snyder movies - one that is colorful and draws on Jack Kirby’s designs for inspiration - nobody will be saying “oh, this again.” One thing that should make you happy is that this is highly unlikely to tie into the DCEU.

The one thing they’ll have to shy away from are Mother Boxes as a maguffin.

LiddyRules

Mainstream peeps don’t even know what he is. To the majority of people he was just a random cgi nothing. If Duvernay can make a movie that is completely different stylistically from the Snyder movies - one that is colorful and draws on Jack Kirby’s designs for inspiration - nobody will be saying “oh, this again.” One thing that should make you happy is that this is highly unlikely to tie into the DCEU.

The one thing they’ll have to shy away from are Mother Boxes as a maguffin.
How come Deathstroke rode to Lex's yacht dressed as Deathstroke? Wouldn't that be more conspicuous than arriving as an average guy?

Pigdango

Donator
Remember the Gotham City Sirens movie they talked about? No? Well now it's called Birds of Prey. Remember @DR. Jimcy M.E. ? No? Well he would have been triggered by WB's choice of directors.

Edit - Before @SOS points it out, I guess I'm triggered by their choice of directors too.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/harley-...ainment-bat-girl-christina-hodson-1202365866/

Cathy Yan Is Warner Bros’ Choice To Direct Margot Robbie In Next Harley Quinn Film

by Mike Fleming Jr

April 17, 2018 8:01am

• EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and DC Entertainment have chosen Cathy Yan to be the director of an untitled girl gang movie, likely the next superhero film to be graced by Suicide Squad scene-stealer Harley Quinn, in the form of Margot Robbie. A deal has to be completed, but it is expected that Yan will become the second female filmmaker to join the DC club after Wonder Woman‘s Patty Jenkins, and the first female Asian director ever tapped to direct a superhero film.
This is a bold bet for Warner Bros’ Geoff Johns and Walter Hamada, who oversee DC under Toby Emmerich. Yan got the job over numerous well established male directors, and because she is taking this giant leap with just one small-budget indie movie under her belt. That would be Dead Pigs, a film that won the World Cinema Dramatic Award For Ensemble Acting at Sundance last January. Despite being a new talent, Yan’s presentation for Birds of Prey was exceptional, and Robbie held firm to her desire for this film to be directed by a woman.

Robbie’s LuckyChap is producing with Sue Kroll and her Kroll & Co Entertainment and Bryan Unkeless of Clubhouse Pictures. Robbie and Unkeless produced I, Tonya.

The project is based on Birds of Prey, which in the DC universe teams Quinn with several other crime fighters, namely Black Canary, Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) and Huntress. It is not confirmed if all of them will be characters in the film. What is clear is that both the main characters and most of the creative braintrust are female, remarkable for a studio-sized superhero film. The script was written by Christina Hodson, who wrote the Transformersspinoff Bumblebee, and just got hired to write the Batgirl movie.

This film looks cleared to start production by year’s end or early next year, after Robbie completes Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. She is negotiating to star alongside Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt in the Quentin Tarantino-directed film for Sony Pictures. The other Harley Quinn films are still under construction. That includes the Suicide Squad sequel to be directed by Gavin O’Connor. Two others, Harley Quinn Vs The Joker and Gotham City Sirens with Suicide Squad helmer David Ayer, seem further in the distance.

Back to Yan. She was a Wall Street Journal reporter who worked from New York, Hong Kong and Beijing, and one of the paper’s youngest reporters to land multiple stories on the front page. She wrote and directed numerous short films before stepping up to features with Dead Pigs.

In that film, a mysterious stream of pig carcasses floats silently toward China’s populous economic hub, Shanghai. As authorities struggle to explain the phenomenon, characters intersect. They include a down-and-out pig farmer with a youthful heart struggles to make ends meet, an upwardly mobile landowner fighting gentrification against an American expat seeking a piece of the Chinese dream, a romantic busboy hides his job from his father, and a rich young woman struggling to find her independence.

Yan is repped by CAA and attorney Jerry Dasti of Sloss Eckhouse Law

LiddyRules

Remember the Gotham City Sirens movie they talked about? No? Well now it's called Birds of Prey. Remember @DR. Jimcy M.E. ? No? Well he would have been triggered by WB's choice of directors.

Edit - Before @SOS points it out, I guess I'm triggered by their choice of directors too.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/harley-...ainment-bat-girl-christina-hodson-1202365866/
I'm not bothered by the director, I just don't care either way. It's like having feelings one way or the other about the Annabelle guy doing Shazam. Would it be better if it was a random nobody with a penis because precious white cock?

Besides, it's not like this movie will actually happen. They did such a terrible job building this universe that we still don't have a sense of how many heroes are out there.

LiddyRules

I don't get the problem. Is it her previous movie? The Russos did You Me and Dupree. Patty Jenkins did Monster. There's not a formula to who gets to direct these films.

Besides, there's not a lot of female directors who have done blockbusters, so if female cast = female director is how the field starts to even out, I'm fine with it.

On that note, will it turn out that Billy Batson was the kid interviewing Superman at the start of Justice League.

Pigdango

Donator
I don't get the problem. Is it her previous movie? The Russos did You Me and Dupree. Patty Jenkins did Monster. There's not a formula to who gets to direct these films.

Besides, there's not a lot of female directors who have done blockbusters, so if female cast = female director is how the field starts to even out, I'm fine with it.

On that note, will it turn out that Billy Batson was the kid interviewing Superman at the start of Justice League.
I have no issue with who they want as a director. I was just making the joke about her previous movie being called Dead Pigs before Sauce did.

The only issue is that they are making the movie in the first place. Or rather that they're starting to make another movie that they'll probably never finish.

Speaking of Superman, someone brought up the documentary about the Death of Superman Lives recently, and it really has me wanting to let Zack Snyder at least partially off the hook for his disastrous take on Superman. Someone, or several someones at WB obsessed over doing the Death of Superman for over 20 years. Singer fake killing him in Superman Returns wasn't enough to get them off of that. So in a way Snyder really had no choice. It probably came up in every conversation they had about the character. "Yeah, yeah, ok. But when are you gonna kill him?"

I know it was the best selling comic book of all time and a really big fucking deal when it happened, but that was 25 years ago at this point. Why did WB get it so stuck in their head that the only Superman story worth telling was the Death and Return of Superman?

That's the documentary I really want to see. I even have a title: "The only good Superman is a Dead Superman."

LiddyRules

I have no issue with who they want as a director. I was just making the joke about her previous movie being called Dead Pigs before Sauce did.

The only issue is that they are making the movie in the first place. Or rather that they're starting to make another movie that they'll probably never finish.

Speaking of Superman, someone brought up the documentary about the Death of Superman Lives recently, and it really has me wanting to let Zack Snyder at least partially off the hook for his disastrous take on Superman. Someone, or several someones at WB obsessed over doing the Death of Superman for over 20 years. Singer fake killing him in Superman Returns wasn't enough to get them off of that. So in a way Snyder really had no choice. It probably came up in every conversation they had about the character. "Yeah, yeah, ok. But when are you gonna kill him?"

I know it was the best selling comic book of all time and a really big fucking deal when it happened, but that was 25 years ago at this point. Why did WB get it so stuck in their head that the only Superman story worth telling was the Death and Return of Superman?

That's the documentary I really want to see. I even have a title: "The only good Superman is a Dead Superman."
It's the next damn animated movie.

And I completely missed the joke.

LiddyRules

I might even give the DC Animated Film a pass because there's like 30 of them. (Though after BvS, I don't know why they wouldn't bury Doomsday again.) But to jump into his death one/two movies in is stupid. They did it in the comics as a gimmick because sales were falling and no one cared anymore. It's not a great story, but it's an important one. But it was a story of the time. We want to be excited by superheroes again and killing off Superman so soon just won't do it.

I think people who want to see a Superman movie want something like All Star Superman or something where he's good and decent and not hindered by something like this. You might criticize Superman: The Movie for its portrayal of Lex Luthor (which doesn't bother me) or its effects or whatever, but Chris Reeve's performance still holds up. That is still what Superman should be, and it's not hokey or comical or outdated. He's just a good man.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
I might even give the DC Animated Film a pass because there's like 30 of them. (Though after BvS, I don't know why they wouldn't bury Doomsday again.) But to jump into his death one/two movies in is stupid. They did it in the comics as a gimmick because sales were falling and no one cared anymore. It's not a great story, but it's an important one. But it was a story of the time. We want to be excited by superheroes again and killing off Superman so soon just won't do it.

I think people who want to see a Superman movie want something like All Star Superman or something where he's good and decent and not hindered by something like this. You might criticize Superman: The Movie for its portrayal of Lex Luthor (which doesn't bother me) or its effects or whatever, but Chris Reeve's performance still holds up. That is still what Superman should be, and it's not hokey or comical or outdated. He's just a good man.
He's a filthy illegal immigrant.

LiddyRules

He's a filthy illegal immigrant.

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

(I can understand thoughts/concerns about a Supered-Man on Earth, but those signs are just f'ing retarded.)

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

My guess is someone or several someones at WB still remember how much money they made in bonuses from the Death of Superman and wanted lightning to strike twice.

Speaking of Snyder, I see he has taken to some obscure social media site to try defend what he did with B vs S: