Cineverse DC Universe News, Rumors and Discussion

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

#ReleaseTheSnyderCut

(I can understand thoughts/concerns about a Supered-Man on Earth, but those signs are just f'ing retarded.)
Our universe, the DC universe, in every universe protesters are retarded.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator
I don't get the problem. Is it her previous movie? The Russos did You Me and Dupree. Patty Jenkins did Monster. There's not a formula to who gets to direct these films.

Besides, there's not a lot of female directors who have done blockbusters, so if female cast = female director is how the field starts to even out, I'm fine with it.

On that note, will it turn out that Billy Batson was the kid interviewing Superman at the start of Justice League.
There's not an official formula for who gets to direct these films, but after re-watching Ragnarok and with the success of Black Panther, I think Marvel has come the closest to developing one.

Step 1.- It all starts with having a person in charge and a plan in place.

Step 2.- Find up and coming directors who are willing to buy into the program.

Step 3.- Give those directors some leeway when it comes to achieving their vision for the movie.

DC didn't have a person or a coherent plan. When it came to Star Wars, the directors and the people in charge weren't on the same page.

LiddyRules

Johny Charro Card Holder #1
Good news @Pigdango and @BIV on the DC Front

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/joker-jared-leto-standalone-movie-warner-bros-1202831025/

Remember Jared Leto's Joker who they tried really hard to push but who ended up being a god damn embarrassment? (I think now that time has passed and because the DC Universe is in shambles so we can no longer use "seeing where they're going" as a buffer/excuse (which I was guilty of) - especially with their Batman totally up in the air - there has to be a consensus that he's a mistake who'd be better off never seen again. There's so many villains in the DC roster that I think we'd be fine without a Joker in this one.)

Anyway, Joker: A Solo Solo is in the planning stages!

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Good news @Pigdango and @BIV on the DC Front

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/joker-jared-leto-standalone-movie-warner-bros-1202831025/

Remember Jared Leto's Joker who they tried really hard to push but who ended up being a god damn embarrassment? (I think now that time has passed and because the DC Universe is in shambles so we can no longer use "seeing where they're going" as a buffer/excuse (which I was guilty of) - especially with their Batman totally up in the air - there has to be a consensus that he's a mistake who'd be better off never seen again. There's so many villains in the DC roster that I think we'd be fine without a Joker in this one.)

Anyway, Joker: A Solo Solo is in the planning stages!
I believe this is the 17th movie DC has announced, and they still have only 3 actually scheduled.

LiddyRules

I believe this is the 17th movie DC has announced, and they still have only 3 actually scheduled.
Speaking of DC movies that won't happen, I saw the new trailer for Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson, the last actual movie star whom they decided to scrap for Chuck and Sinestro. Not only does it look so bad, but the latest trailer gives so much away.

Two questions:

1) More likely to happen? Phoenix Joker, which I still don't think exist, or Leto Joker?
2) What movie wins December? Could it be Aquaman?

EDIT:

Here's what we have in December.

* Mary Queen of Scots - Costume Drama biopic about MQoS with Lady Bird, Harley Quinn and the DI Alec Hardy
* Under the Silver Lake - Andrew Garfield seeks out a missing girl in a goofy surrealistic mystery. It was postponed from next month to December. I'm kind of interested in it, but upon seeing the rest of the list it might be my top movie for December.
* Mortal Engines - London on Wheels
* Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Man - Animated Spider-Man
* Altia: Battle Angel - Why you hate her eyes?
* Aquaman
* Bumblebee - Could Transformers take the top spot or are people so over it?
* Holmes & Watson - Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in a movie that's coming out way too late to catch onto Sherlock Fever and that I didn't really think would happen. I don't even know if it's set in modern day or Sherlock Holmes day, but Hugh Laurie plays Mycroft.
* Mary Poppins Returns - I think this might be a bad idea
* Untitled WB Event Film #2

Kind of a loser December, but I'm sure we'll get more Oscar-y movies closer to then.

Last edited:

Pigdango

Donator
Speaking of DC movies that won't happen, I saw the new trailer for Skyscraper with Dwayne Johnson, the last actual movie star whom they decided to scrap for Chuck and Sinestro. Not only does it look so bad, but the latest trailer gives so much away.

Two questions:

1) More likely to happen? Phoenix Joker, which I still don't think exist, or Leto Joker?

EDIT:

* Mary Queen of Scots - Costume Drama biopic about MQoS with Lady Bird, Harley Quinn and the DI Alec Hardy
* Under the Silver Lake - Andrew Garfield seeks out a missing girl in a goofy surrealistic mystery. It was postponed from next month to December. I'm kind of interested in it, but upon seeing the rest of the list it might be my top movie for December.
* Aquaman
* Holmes & Watson - Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are Sherlock Holmes and John Watson in a movie that's coming out way too late to catch onto Sherlock Fever and that I didn't really think would happen. I don't even know if it's set in modern day or Sherlock Holmes day, but Hugh Laurie plays Mycroft.

Kind of a loser December, but I'm sure we'll get more Oscar-y movies closer to then.
That seems like a lot of movies, and as you said, a lot of rubbish.

I think Bumblebee could be the surprise winner. Can I say top 3 will be that, Aquaman, and Mary Poppins?

LiddyRules

I think Bumblebee could be the surprise winner. Can I say top 3 will be that, Aquaman, and Mary Poppins?
Sure. What bombs harder - Altia or Engines?

Pigdango

Donator
Sure. What bombs harder - Altia or Engines?
Great question, and I think the answer could be complicated. I’m assuming Alita cost a lot more money, so that’s a factor. Also, I think one of them will get moved into January.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
Great question, and I think the answer could be complicated. I’m assuming Alita cost a lot more money, so that’s a factor. Also, I think one of them will get moved into January.
Those Liddy eyes really made the budget explode.

BIV

People seem to be very hyped for Bumblebee. Lots of "this is what Transformers should have looked like from the beginning."

Pigdango

Donator
People seem to be very hyped for Bumblebee. Lots of "this is what Transformers should have looked like from the beginning."
Other than the girl being ugly, I don’t really see any difference between the bumblebee trailer and any other transformers movie.

BIV

Other than the girl being ugly, I don’t really see any difference between the bumblebee trailer and any other transformers movie.
You think Hailed Steinfeld is ugly? What is wrong with you?

LiddyRules

So I finally watched the Bumblebee trailer and 1) she's clearly going to freak out when it transforms; they just cut that part out. It's so obvious the way her eyes are panicking. 2) Did they use Bernie Mac's voice like he's the Field of Dreams guy? 3) When did Hailee Stanfield start looking like Paige Jennings? And I never cared for Rosie Huntington Whitley.

4) It looks terrible. There's nothing about the movie that looks interesting or good or funny or exciting. But maybe it's just me. I think Transformers are boring. I tried watching the cartoon; it stinks. There's really not a lot about them that's fascinating other than how they transform. Being excited over this because they got the "design right" is like being excited over a Masters of the Universe movie. You know it's going to stink, and you know you're going to complain because you're an embittered man-child adult wanting to recapture a feeling from youth that never existed. (Especially those people who never got over the cartoon ruining the lore from the original MotU comics. Those guys are babies.)

I'm not going to see this movie. The end.

They also released a new trailer for I, Spider-Man.

I have no idea what to make of this movie.

Stormrider666

Hell is home.
Donator

Two questions:

EDIT:

* Aquaman

That Holmes and Watson has to be something that was in development and/or production circa 2014 and just now is being released. Granted the characters are timeless, but it seems a little late in the game to be jumping on the Sherlock Holmes bandwagon.

You think Hailed Steinfeld is ugly? What is wrong with you?
Compared to the other Transformhers? Fuck yes.
Ugly is a strong word. But compared to Megan Fox, Aussie hacker, and a Victoria Secret model, Pigdango does make a fair point.

Last edited:

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
That Holmes and Watson has to be something that was in development and/or production circa 2014 and just now is being released. Granted the characters are timeless, but it seems a little late in the game to be jumping on the Sherlock Holmes bandwagon.
Tell that to RDJ, I think he's doing another one with Jude Law as well.

LiddyRules

Tell that to RDJ, I think he's doing another one with Jude Law as well.
But that's an established franchise that really shouldn't do a third and I still don't think it's going to happen. It seems odd trying to start a new Holmes franchise now. I also wonder what type of comedy it will be. Will it be more Stepbrothers-style or like the Gene Wilder Sherlock Holmes movie? Is Will Ferrell even a draw anymore?

And this is the point where we find out either Ferrell hasn't had a hit in a decade or he's had three hits in the past two years.

It also bothers me that I can envision the start of the teaser.

Overly Serious Narrator Voice: "He's the world's greatest detective, a master of disguise, a scientist, a visionary, and now he has to face his toughest case yet."

*Cut to a confused Will Ferrell screaming. Then Reilly screams. Then they both scream.*

OSNV: "This Christmas..."

*Will Ferrell trying to light a pipe but can't do it or lights his hat on fire*

OSNV: "Sherlock learns..."

Reilly: "Good thing we stopped the Hound of the Baskervilles."

Ferrell: "Indeed."

*He turns around to show the back of his coat torn to shreds."

OSNV: "You can't go Holmes again."

Reilly: "Moriarty has six bombs ready to go off in London! What do we do first!"

Ferrell *pensive, thinking*: "I...don't...know. Run?"

TITLE CARD: FERRELL

Action sequence w/ Ferrell

TITLE CARD: REILLY

Action sequence w/ Reilly

TITLE CARD: ARE....HOLMES AND WATSON

Ferrell: "Elementary my dear Watson."

Reilly *blushing*: "Thanks."

Ferrell: "For what?"

Reilly: "For calling me dear."

Last edited:

DiggerNick

Donator
Leto sucked. It was just another pompous actor jerking himself off.

LiddyRules

@Pigdango

The Faux-eige is dead. Long live the Faux-eige

http://www.darkhorizons.com/geoff-johns-steps-down-pens-lantern/

Over six months on from the disappointment of “Justice League” at the global box-office, Warner Bros. Pictures has announced that DC Entertainment president and chief creative officer Geoff Johns is stepping down from the company.

Johns isn’t leaving DC entirely, the filmmaker is instead forming the production company Mad Ghost Productions which intends to produce a variety of DC comics, television series, and films which Johns will write.

According to THR, the first major film project for Johns will be as writer and producer of the upcoming “Green Lantern Corps” film. Johns had a credit on “Aquaman” and is said to be helping write the “Wonder Woman” sequel.

The announcement comes on the heels of the news Diane Nelson, head of DC and WB Consumer Products, will not be coming back after she took a leave of absence in March.

At the same time, current DC Entertainment publisher Jim Lee will assume the chief creative officer position, taking on the duties while continuing to act as publisher with Dan DiDio. The two have jointly held the post since 2010.
Not to sound like a fool, but maybe throw a line out to Berlanti.

Pigdango

Donator
I'm not his f'ing biographer.
Don't worry, Cynthia Littleton's got your back.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/gr...s-television-deal-arrow-supergirl-1202836002/

Greg Berlanti Signs Massive Six-Year Renewal Pact With Warner Bros. TV Valued at More Than $300 Million
By Cynthia Littleton
@Variety_Cynthia

Greg Berlanti has signed a groundbreaking, megabucks new production pact with Warner Bros. Television Group that will keep the prolific showrunner on the Burbank lot through 2024.

The deal is valued at well above $300 million over its six-year term, and could rise to as much as $400 million given the hefty guarantees Berlanti and his company will realize on future shows.

The pact is unusual in that it is structured as an acquisition with Warner Bros. TV Group taking an interest in Greg Berlanti Productions. The acquisition has the effect of buying out Berlanti’s profit participation points in the 14 existing shows his banner is producing for the studio — shows spread across six networks, not counting two animated series that his company shepherds for the CW Seed digital platform. The acquisition structure also has significant tax benefits for Berlanti.

Keeping Berlanti in the fold was crucial for Warner Bros. TV, as the producer is the engine behind so much of the studio’s scripted production activity. It also sends a message that the studio is willing to play in the big-league moneyball game accelerated by Netflix, Amazon, and Apple’s move into original content. Netflix made headlines earlier this year in setting a nine-figure pact with uber-showrunner Ryan Murphy that has been valued at upwards of $250 million over five years.

The deal hammered out by Berlanti’s reps at WME and attorney Patti Felker was designed to provide Berlanti’s company iron-clad cash guarantees on every show he delivers, and to help Berlanti monetize the multitude of profit participation points he holds on current productions.

Berlanti Productions has yet to field a big-time syndication hit — the kind of show that delivers enormous windfall for profit participants. But he has generated a volume that left him with a portfolio of stakes in smaller shows that will deliver a steady stream of profits over time. Warner Bros.’ buyout of Berlanti’s points is a means of liquidating those stakes for Berlanti in one fell swoop.

The deal covers television only, leaving Berlanti as a free agent in film. In addition to all of his TV work, Berlanti is active as a film writer, director, and producer. He’s just coming off the critical success of coming-of-age comedy “Love, Simon,” which 20th Century Fox released earlier this year.

Also notable is the fact that Berlanti and his team did not make the rounds of other studios and platforms before renewing their vows with Warner Bros. TV. Sources close to the situation say Berlanti, who is known for his loyalty to friends and colleagues, had no interest in moving from his longtime studio home. Warner Bros. TV Group chief Peter Roth and studio head Kevin Tsujihara were proactive in courting the producer with a long-term renewal. Indeed, Berlanti’s previous deal still had two years to run, but that time frame is now superseded by the new pact.

“I’m incredibly grateful to Peter Roth, Kevin Tsujihara, Craig Hunegs, Susan Rovner & Brett Paul and everyone else here at Warner Bros. who has provided me with such a wonderful home to tell stories for many years — and now many years to come,” Berlanti said. “A lot has changed about TV since I started working in it 20 years ago, but what hasn’t changed is how blessed I feel to come to work every day, where I work with the most talented, hardest-working company, executives, showrunners, actors, writers, directors, casts and crews in the business. I’m eternally grateful to all of them and to the audiences that have watched our shows. And finally, I’m thankful for the love, guidance and support I get from my husband, my family and my friends, which make moments like this one possible and all the moments in between the real reward.”

LiddyRules

Don't worry, Cynthia Littleton's got your back.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/gr...s-television-deal-arrow-supergirl-1202836002/

Greg Berlanti Signs Massive Six-Year Renewal Pact With Warner Bros. TV Valued at More Than $300 Million
By Cynthia Littleton
@Variety_Cynthia

Greg Berlanti has signed a groundbreaking, megabucks new production pact with Warner Bros. Television Group that will keep the prolific showrunner on the Burbank lot through 2024.

The deal is valued at well above $300 million over its six-year term, and could rise to as much as $400 million given the hefty guarantees Berlanti and his company will realize on future shows.

The pact is unusual in that it is structured as an acquisition with Warner Bros. TV Group taking an interest in Greg Berlanti Productions. The acquisition has the effect of buying out Berlanti’s profit participation points in the 14 existing shows his banner is producing for the studio — shows spread across six networks, not counting two animated series that his company shepherds for the CW Seed digital platform. The acquisition structure also has significant tax benefits for Berlanti.

Keeping Berlanti in the fold was crucial for Warner Bros. TV, as the producer is the engine behind so much of the studio’s scripted production activity. It also sends a message that the studio is willing to play in the big-league moneyball game accelerated by Netflix, Amazon, and Apple’s move into original content. Netflix made headlines earlier this year in setting a nine-figure pact with uber-showrunner Ryan Murphy that has been valued at upwards of $250 million over five years.

The deal hammered out by Berlanti’s reps at WME and attorney Patti Felker was designed to provide Berlanti’s company iron-clad cash guarantees on every show he delivers, and to help Berlanti monetize the multitude of profit participation points he holds on current productions.

Berlanti Productions has yet to field a big-time syndication hit — the kind of show that delivers enormous windfall for profit participants. But he has generated a volume that left him with a portfolio of stakes in smaller shows that will deliver a steady stream of profits over time. Warner Bros.’ buyout of Berlanti’s points is a means of liquidating those stakes for Berlanti in one fell swoop.

The deal covers television only, leaving Berlanti as a free agent in film. In addition to all of his TV work, Berlanti is active as a film writer, director, and producer. He’s just coming off the critical success of coming-of-age comedy “Love, Simon,” which 20th Century Fox released earlier this year.

Also notable is the fact that Berlanti and his team did not make the rounds of other studios and platforms before renewing their vows with Warner Bros. TV. Sources close to the situation say Berlanti, who is known for his loyalty to friends and colleagues, had no interest in moving from his longtime studio home. Warner Bros. TV Group chief Peter Roth and studio head Kevin Tsujihara were proactive in courting the producer with a long-term renewal. Indeed, Berlanti’s previous deal still had two years to run, but that time frame is now superseded by the new pact.

“I’m incredibly grateful to Peter Roth, Kevin Tsujihara, Craig Hunegs, Susan Rovner & Brett Paul and everyone else here at Warner Bros. who has provided me with such a wonderful home to tell stories for many years — and now many years to come,” Berlanti said. “A lot has changed about TV since I started working in it 20 years ago, but what hasn’t changed is how blessed I feel to come to work every day, where I work with the most talented, hardest-working company, executives, showrunners, actors, writers, directors, casts and crews in the business. I’m eternally grateful to all of them and to the audiences that have watched our shows. And finally, I’m thankful for the love, guidance and support I get from my husband, my family and my friends, which make moments like this one possible and all the moments in between the real reward.”
Cynthia Liddleton