Cineverse DC Universe News, Rumors and Discussion

LiddyRules

The 9/11 Moon Landings Were An Outside Job
‘Aquaman’ Horror Spinoff ‘The Trench’ in the Works

Warner Bros. is developing “The Trench” as a spinoff horror movie to its mega-hit “Aquaman.”

The studio has hired Noah Gardner and Aidan Fitzgerald to write a script centered on the Trench, the deadly amphibious creatures who attacked Aquaman (Jason Momoa) and Mera (Amber Heard) in the movie. The project will be set in the underseas kingdom in the Marianas Trench, where a group of the original inhabitants were sent after Atlantis sunk and evolved into savage monsters.

James Wan and Peter Safran will produce “The Trench,” which is being developed as a lower-cost version of “Aquaman” without the main cast involved. No director or cast is yet attached. The duo collaborated on “Aquaman” and “The Conjuring” with Wan directing and Safran producing.

The Trench creatures were created by Geoff Johns and introduced as antagonists in the Aquaman storyline in DC Comics in 2011. The Mariana Trench is the deepest point on the planet and has served as the home of antagonists in “The Meg” and “Pacific Rim.”

“Aquaman” has over-performed for Warner Bros. with $325 million in North America and $784 million internationally. It’s currently the 22nd highest worldwide grosser of all time.

Gardner and Fitzgerald were assistants at JJ Abrams’ Bad Robot production shingle and wrote submarine thriller “The Volos.” They are repped by WME.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/aquaman-horror-spinoff-the-trench-warner-bros-1203133437/
This reminds me of that weird period in the 2000s when they had straight to video spin off movies. Like the one from Get Smart. That might have been the only one.

Can the lead be a crab person?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
This reminds me of that weird period in the 2000s when they had straight to video spin off movies. Like the one from Get Smart. That might have been the only one.

Can the lead be a crab person?
I’m thinking they have Nikki Kids as the lead.

LiddyRules

I’m thinking they have Nikki Kids as the lead.
Not if they want this to be a lower cost alternative. I don't think it'll have any of the AquaFam.

Unless they make Patrick Wilson the lead and it becomes Ocean Master's redemption story with a crab person.

Pigdango

Donator
Not if they want this to be a lower cost alternative. I don't think it'll have any of the AquaFam.

Unless they make Patrick Wilson the lead and it becomes Ocean Master's redemption story with a crab person.
I’m with you that the Crab Person is a must, but I also know how WB operates. It’s why we will get another name actor as Batman instead of them trying to find someone more unknown that could grow into the role. It’s still unbelievable to me that they let Snyder cast Cavill and Gadot.

LiddyRules

I’m with you that the Crab Person is a must, but I also know how WB operates. It’s why we will get another name actor as Batman instead of them trying to find someone more unknown that could grow into the role. It’s still unbelievable to me that they let Snyder cast Cavill and Gadot.
But would they hinge a tentpole on a woman of a respectable wisdom?

Pigdango

Donator
Affleck is outfleck. Just as I predictedfleck.

‘The Batman’ To Fly In Summer 2021; Ben Affleck Passes The Torch To Next Generation Of Bruce Wayne

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros. is dating their next rendition of Batman for June 25, 2021. This is the one that Matt Reeves has been attached to as writer and director. Ben Affleck, we hear, will not be donning the Dark Knight’s tights after playing the Caped Crusader in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Suicide Squad and Justice League and that’s because this movie will focus on a younger Bruce Wayne.

Reeves boarded Batman in February 2017, taking over for Affleck who was originally set to direct off a script he wrote with DC’s Geoff Johns. Affleck, we understand has a busy plate: As Deadline exclusively broke he is starring in and producing the feature adaptation of Kate Alice Marshall‘s novel I Am Still Alive, which Universal won in a competitive bidding scenario. The two-time Oscar winner is also starring in the Warner Bros.’ Gavin O’Connor drama Torrance. Affleck worked hard on The Batmanstory, but knew he wasn’t the right one for this particular version. A search is underway for a new Dark Knight.

The Batman will not be based on Frank Miller’s Batman: Year One comic which is one of Reeves’ favorites in the Caped Crusader canon.
Well I hope you're proud of yourself:

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Well I hope you're proud of yourself:

*looks both ways*

He's actually a good actor.

*runs and hides*

Seriously though he gets a bad rep because of Twilight, obviously. Watch something like The Rover to get an idea of what he can do. And also I know this is tired and we keep going back to it - but wasn't Ledger this exact kind of despised casting because he was like this pretty boy actor?

LiddyRules

*looks both ways*

*runs and hides*

Seriously though he gets a bad rep because of Twilight, obviously. Watch something like The Rover to get an idea of what he can do. And also I know this is tired and we keep going back to it - but wasn't Ledger this exact kind of despised casting because he was like this pretty boy actor?
I've seen him be good in other things too, but

I don't care. I simply don't care. He's fine. You're fine. Everyone's fine.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
I've seen him be good in other things too, but

I don't care. I simply don't care. He's fine. You're fine. Everyone's fine.
I agree. It will have to be something truly special to overcome my apathy. It's needs to be Logan or Blade Runner 2049 or both.

*looks both ways*

*runs and hides*

Vampire bat jokes aside, I agree with you about RP. At the very least, he won't be the guy who brings it all down. They have writers for that.

LiddyRules

The biggest issue I have with him is age. I don't want another origin story. I want established Gotham.