De Niro apologizes for first lady joke

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Hopefully Yimmy will read the joke and apology with his perfect imitation.

Published: March. 20, 2012 at 8:29 PM

NEW YORK, March 20 (UPI) -- Actor Robert De Niro has apologized for a joke with racial overtones he made at a New York fundraiser for President Barack Obama's re-election campaign.

"Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney," The Hollywood Reporter quoted De Niro as saying during his opening remarks at Monday night's $5,000-a-plate event, which Obama's wife, Michelle attended. "Now do you really think our country is ready for a white first lady?"

CNN reported Obama's campaign press secretary Olivia Alair called the joke "inappropriate" Tuesday.

De Niro later issued a statement explaining he was trying to make a joke and never meant to offend anyone.

"My remarks, although spoken with satirical jest, were not meant to offend or embarrass anyone -- especially the first lady," the 68-year-old "Raging Bull" and "Meet the Parents" star said.
http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_Ne...gizes-for-first-lady-joke/UPI-58421332289742/

justifyyourgarb

You drab South Bend cocksuckers are all the same.
Mar 15, 2007
That's a really harmless joke. Even in the 50's that would have been tame (upon further thought, a black president then would have been far more offensive in the 50's).

Did he really apologize? There's no apology in his statement.

mikeybot

SPANAKOPITA!!!
Jul 25, 2005
philly
He likes black chicks though, shouldn't that be ok?

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
He likes black chicks though, shouldn't that be ok?
In the article, they made sure to have a picture of him and his black wife. I didn't feel like putting it in the OP.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
His remarks were spoken "with satirical jest "

And probably with Great comedic timing

Chino Kapone

Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?
Jun 10, 2005
Is Obama Michelle for a white woman? "whaa"

justifyyourgarb

Mar 15, 2007
Newt's being a bigger jerk off about it than Barack.
http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/2012/03/newt-gingrich-fires-back-at-robert-de-niro-118015.html
Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich wasn’t amused by Robert De Niro’s joke about his wife last night.

"What De Niro said last night was inexcusable and the president should apologize for him. It was at an Obama fundraiser, it is exactly wrong, it divides the country," Gingrich said in Louisiana on Tuesday, according to CNN.

At a campaign event with first lady Michelle Obama in New York last night, De Niro said, "Callista Gingrich. Karen Santorum. Ann Romney. Now do you really think our country is ready for a white first lady? … Too soon right?”

Defending his wife and the other spouses, Gingrich responded, "I think the country is ready for a new first lady and he doesn't have to describe it in racial terms.”

The former House speaker added, "If people on the left want to talk about talk show hosts, then everybody in the country should hold the president accountable when someone at his event says something that is utterly and terrible unacceptable as what Robert De Niro said.”

Motor Head

HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL
Jan 23, 2006
Land of hicks and rubes.

KRSOne

Dec 8, 2011
Sunnydale

justifyyourgarb

Mar 15, 2007
If republicans have to apologize for Rush, then democrats should apologize for every dumb thing every liberal says. Libs wouldn't want to be accused of being hypocrites, would they?
I understand the boring game they are playing, I'm just saying it's fucking stupid.

And Angel sucked dick. It was for teenage girls.

Atomic Fireball

Donator
Jul 26, 2005
You can get it doggy-style or you can get it laying on your side. Those are your only choices. This is the White House and I get to say

Aug 11, 2005
I never cared much for the oil driller.
I did until I heard he was an oil-driller and now that he's schilling for that piece of shit he is DEAD to me! same as Tom Hanks

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
And Angel sucked dick. It was for teenage girls.
Don't be silly. It was a damn fine show.

Angel was great and you know it.
You shut up. You chose the worst episode of the entire series as your avatar. And I don't care how good a show is, having a TV show capture as your avatar is fucking gay.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
I wish somebody would refuse to apologize for something they said

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
"My remarks, although spoken with satirical jest, were not meant to offend or embarrass anyone -- especially the first lady,"
Doesn't really sound like an apology as much as an explanation.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Angel was great and you know it.
Don't be silly. It was a damn fine show.

You shut up. You chose the worst episode of the entire series as your avatar. And I don't care how good a show is, having a TV show capture as your avatar is fucking gay.
"Is there a Gepetto in the house?!?" ..... That episode was classic. You, sir, are a heathen.

And to you, CousinDave, I categorically refuse to apologize. So there.

mills

I'll give em a state, a state of unconsciousness
Jan 30, 2005
Flea Bottom
As dull as De niro is in person, Newt's making him look like Chris Rock. That's beyond sad.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You guys are missing the most offensive part of the whole story.

the 68-year-old "Raging Bull" and "Meet the Parents" star
They put Raging Bull and Meet the Parents in the same sentence. (I liked the first Meet the Parents, by the way.)

You can get it doggy-style or you can get it laying on your side. Those are your only choices. This is the White House and I get to say
"You fuckin' my First Lady?"