Deadwood: The Movie

Creasy Bear

gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
Donator
If the role of The Nigger General isn't revived, I will be crestfallen.

MurphCO

Enough of this palaver
Donator
As we return to Deadwood, Woo has taken over the Gem

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
I don’t think I can name a single series that has more than 20 episodes that I’ve watched all the way through once, let alone twice.

I probably saw most of the Sopranos when it aired live I guess.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
I don’t think I can name a single series that has more than 20 episodes that I’ve watched all the way through once
Huh, I never realized that about you. I just figured you didn't discuss tv shows for some reason. I also typically don't like anything longer than 2-3 seasons.

Pigdango

Donator
Huh, I never realized that about you. I just figured you didn't discuss tv shows for some reason. I also typically don't like anything longer than 2-3 seasons.
I found a list of the 100 best TV shows. It's 3 years old, and without getting into whether they were good or bad, here are the ones I started but lost interest in and stopped watching:

The Simpsons
South Park
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Dallas
Roseanne
The Wonder Years
ER
Battlestar Galactica
NYPD Blue
Friends
Seinfeld
Louie
Cheers

I did tune in for the finales of Friends, Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, and Cheers, and I do intend to eventually go back to Game of Thrones.

And of course, there's the Wackbag list of shows I see mentioned a lot that I never even started:
Deadwood
Band of Brothers (Think I saw an episode or two here and there)
The Wire
ENOUGH ABOUT THE LEFTOVERS, JESUS CHRIST, LIDDY!
AND THAT GOES DOUBLE FOR MAD MEN! FUCKS SAKE!
Arrested Development
I'm sure there are others. I'm aware of a show called Orange is the New Black that people seem to like. And American Horror Story.

Even Breaking Bad, which I believe is widely considered one of the best shows of all time, felt painfully repetitive to me. I'm sure someone could make the same case for Marvel movies and the "Marvel formula", but the characters, settings, etc are different enough, and the time commitment (4-7 hours per year) is so much less, that it wouldn't be a very good comparison.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
I found a list of the 100 best TV shows. It's 3 years old, and without getting into whether they were good or bad, here are the ones I started but lost interest in and stopped watching:

The Simpsons
South Park
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Dallas
Roseanne
The Wonder Years
ER
Battlestar Galactica
NYPD Blue
Friends
Seinfeld
Louie
Cheers

I did tune in for the finales of Friends, Seinfeld, Breaking Bad, and Cheers, and I do intend to eventually go back to Game of Thrones.

And of course, there's the Wackbag list of shows I see mentioned a lot that I never even started:
Deadwood
The Wire
Arrested Development
I'm sure there are others. I'm aware of a show called Orange is the New Black that people seem to like. And American Horror Story.

Even Breaking Bad, which I believe is widely considered one of the best shows of all time, felt painfully repetitive to me. I'm sure someone could make the same case for Marvel movies and the "Marvel formula", but the characters, settings, etc are different enough, and the time commitment (4-7 hours per year) is so much less, that it wouldn't be a very good comparison.
That's interesting. One point, though.
Akshully
The Leftovers is pretty fucking great.

LiddyRules

Regional Sales Rep for Fontaine Fish Finder

The Simpsons
South Park
Game of Thrones
Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Dallas
Roseanne
The Wonder Years
ER
Battlestar Galactica
NYPD Blue
Friends
Seinfeld
Louie
Cheers

Deadwood
The Wire
Arrested Development

I think Better Call Saul is better than Bad, but that might not be your speed. The amount of shows I've finished is really large. I'm not saying I've given 100% to all or even most episodes but I've watched enough to say I've run the line. I think I've watched all of Wings twice, but like I said, comedies are easier.

I stopped OITNB at some season and AHS after witch season. I plan to get back to Netflix Marvel.

I also watched a bunch of Friends last year. That wasn't a good show. And Ross and Rachel were really unhealthy.

With the Peele-light Zone coming out, I want to jump back into Twilight Zone. I've probably seen most of the original run, but I haven't watched more than a handful of episodes over the past couple years.

I'm also DVRing the entire run of Coach.

HandPanzer

Shantih Shantih Shantih
I've tried like 3 times to start AHS, but it just doesn't click with me for some reason. I do like the redheaded maid though.

Pigdango

Donator
That's interesting. One point, though.
Akshully
The Leftovers is pretty fucking great.
I was going to say "not clicking through all those" but when I quoted the post it revealed all!

And like I said,

LiddyRules

Sounds familiarish? what is this show you're bringing to my attention?
Guy is released from Death Row because of evidentiary issues after 20 years and it's him trying to readjust to life after being in for that long plus being somewhere between guilt and innocence. It's fantastic.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
Guy is released from Death Row because of evidentiary issues after 20 years and it's him trying to readjust to life after being in for that long plus being somewhere between guilt and innocence. It's fantastic.
Right on, may check it out.

Pigdango

Donator
Right on, may check it out.
It's really - and I mean really - slow.

Also, nothing actually happens. I forget how many episodes I skipped to get to the last one to find out if anything actually ever happened, and was able to sort out that...no, nothing ever did.

I'm pretty sure it only made Liddy's list because there's a scene where

the guy's impossibly hot sister listens while he jerks off remembering the time he got raped in prison.

Jacuzzi Billy

Watching PTI
Donator
What's the point of skipping to a final episode? That would drive me fucking nuts.

Pigdango

Donator
What's the point of skipping to a final episode? That would drive me fucking nuts.
Normally it would with me as well, but in this particular case it didn't seem to matter. The episode actually did a nice job recapping things. IIRC there was a "news report" scene that revealed whatever it was I had missed.

I think I may have watched the last two episodes, now that I think about it. I don't think I missed a whole lot, story wise.

crippledalbino

The God of 42nd Street
Donator
After you watch it be sure to check out Abigail Spencer's foray into filmmaking as well.
You're going to put me down some crazy indie film rabbit hole that's going to end in nihilism and existential crisises, aren't you?
And why isn't 'crisises' a word?

LiddyRules

I wonder what show would have the most 'what the fuck happened' series finale if you only watched the first, let's say, two or three seasons.

Bobobie

I refuse invest any time in a Milch production after Deadwood. Milch said he was going to bring in another showrunner for the next season so he could concentrate on his stupid surfing abortion John From Cincinnati. Something you don't do when you're show is possibly being cancelled. I bet the years it took to get the movie made was 100% due to his erratic behavior and schedule.