OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Death penalty costs California $184 million a year

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Party Rooster, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I'm for it, but I've always thought it's more for satisfaction/revenge than an actual deterrent. $184 million's a lot of scratch, even if it's half that it still is.

2. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

It's neither revenge nor a deterrent. It's a concept that's a little more abstract called 'justice'. I wouldn't expect most Californians to understand it, it's way too connected to the concept 'reality'.

3. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

I'm for the death penalty also, but not at that expense. I think California is just one of those states that can't have it. We spent way to much on each individual case before it gets to that point... 20+ years of appeals all funded by the taxpayers. I think we need a system like (I believe) Texas has where if there is "indisputable evidence" their appeals ability is severely limited.

4. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

there are a lot of people who would take care of these death row scum for a LOT less

we need to just stop letting them appeal their sentences for eternity

5. Begbie

Begbie Wackbag Generalissimo

:icon_mrgr

Nonono...that would be cruel and unusual punishment. The savages who are convicted of dismembering children, hacking innocent people just for the hell of it, and shooting and killing a cop because they were wanted over some drug charge that could lock them up for 5-10 years...those people deserve better and if we do have to put them to death, it has to be as painless and as humane as possible. They deserve the very best that we can deliver after they've committed such a heinous act of violence. :icon_cool

6. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Hey, dumbass, I guess the concept of "satisfaction" is too abstract for you to understand, i.e, satisfaction in that justice was served.

7. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

Im very comfortable with the death penalty costing a ton and taking a long time to administer. The most serious thing a citizenry can do is give the government to ability to deprive them of their life. Every avenue should be perused in order to make sure that the punishment is justified and that the accused is indeed guilty of the crime and has expended every legal recourse before the punishment is administered.

100% for the death penalty, and I dont care if it costs a bunch.

8. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I can't believe this, but you make sense and I agree. There may be ways to cut costs, but taking shortcuts in the legal process aren't the way. I would rather just eliminate the death penalty before putting an innocent man to death to save a few bucks.

California could save billions in much better common sense ways.

9. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

Agreed. I'm for the death penalty in certain cases. But before the lever is pulled or the needle injected, everything should be done to make sure right person is being punished for their crime. I'm sorry, the words "oops we made mistake" should never be uttered in life and death situations.

10. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I suppose it would be pointless to bring up the fact that getting rid of certain groups in California would not only reduce the number of people on death row, but save more money than eliminating the death penalty would ever save.

Also, stop throwing non-violent offenders in prison for years upon years. That would save even more money. I'm sick of hearing about California's legal system and its problems. They brought this upon themselves. Denying justice to victims or executing innocent people isn't the answer. Having common fucking sense is.

11. d0uche_n0zzle

d0uche_n0zzle **Negative_Creep**

Liberalize CCW from a may issue to a shall issue state and then pass a stand your ground law.

Win-win.

12. THRILLHO

THRILLHO Registered User

But bullets cost only about 25 cents each...

13. TheDrip

TheDrip I'm bi-winning.

Cut down the number of appeals and speed up the process. The cost will nosedive.

14. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

What part of the appeals process do you want removed? The second you pick a point in the process, know that eventually an innocent man is going to die because of that step being missing. Things could definitely be sped up. That part I agree with.

15. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

if some of these "suspects" have "accidents" with their "own guns" when they're arrested, cali could save a bundle!

16. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

I'm all for a death penalty but I agree that all the appeals are necessary if you
    want to be sure only the guilty are killed. If you want to short cut that process
    then innocent people will die and that's unacceptable.

Honestly at this point I wonder if it's even worth the cost of pursuing a death penalty
    in most cases or just incarcerate them for life and move on. An eye for an eye is getting
    very costly and it's not stopping the crime.

17. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

It might not be worth the cost. But then again criminalizing things that shouldn't be crimes would free up the money to punish those who really deserve it. You live in PA, do you know how many people are in state prisons in PA right now for driving on suspended licenses?

18. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Fuck yeah. The priorities are way out of whack and nobody should be in jail for pot either.

19. TheDrip

TheDrip I'm bi-winning.

Them's the breaks.

20. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

x2

21. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

Look at you two coming together and making sense. That's so sweet. Give each other a nice kiss.

Yeah, you're both absolutely right in what you're saying. But what's being missed is that if you look at some of the obstacles some lawmakers and judges throw up in California, they clearly aren't intended to make sure the people are guilty, and do nothing to help make sure. They are obviously, and often openly, just meant to make it impossible to execute the guilty. That doesn't help anyone except the murderers who get to live and enjoy the spotlight.

P.S. Let's look at a different, more publicized example: How does the Obama admin. stopping the import of some lethal injection drugs that states were buying from England help make the process better? They are clearly trying to prevent the process, not make it better. Those types of roadblocks are thrown up by Liberals opposed to the death penalty on principle all the time.

22. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Congratulations Norm, you just out-retarded Kirk with that statement. I had no idea opposition to the death penalty was a liberal thing, and conservatives were 100% on board. :rolleyes:

23. MagicBob

MagicBob Registered User

funny, until VERY recently it was made in the US...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/us/22lethal.html

and I'd like to see any proof that it was Obama stopped the importation...
    http://knowledgecenter.csg.org/drupal/content/lethal-injection-drug-shortage

sounds like the FDA was making it easier to get it into the country, but the exporting governments had a problem with it.