Death Wish Reboot

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
‘Death Wish’ Revamp With Bruce Willis To Be Helmed By ‘Big Bad Wolves’ Directors Aharon Keshales & Navot Papushado

EXCLUSIVE: Paramount and MGM are setting Big Bad Wolves helmers Aharon Keshales & Navot Papushado to direct Bruce Willis in Death Wish, the revamp of the Charles Bronson vigilante franchise that is adapted from the Brian Garfield novel. Production will begin by the summer, I hear. Paramount released the original 1974 hit in conjunction with the Dino De Laurentiis Company, and MGM ended up with those rights, which is why the studios are teamed. Roger Birnbaum is producing.

They’ve been trying to get this one off the ground for several years and have a script that was started by Joe Carnahan (who was once going to direct), with subsequent drafts by Dan Gilroy and Graham Yost. The new take hews closely to the book, about an architect whose life is destroyed by a violent crime against his wife and daughter. Frustrated that the perpetrators are not held to pay for the violence and degradation these thugs inflicted on his family, the architect takes to the streets and begins dispatching bad guys himself. As Willis prepares for another Die Hard, he’s got the chops to make this interesting enough to launch another franchise.

The Israeli filmmaking team made their debut with Rabies and then followed with 2013’s Big Bad Wolves, a violent, high-octane thriller that became a cult favorite. They are repped by WME.

http://deadline.com/2016/03/death-w...do-big-bad-wolves-charles-bronson-1201714438/

Fuck this.

Voodoo Ben

You gotta wash your ass
Dec 5, 2010
They will have to make all the criminals white to avoid controversy.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
I'd be more pumped if it was a Death Wish 3 reboot.

goat999

town drunk
Sep 30, 2006
Springfield, IL
I'll watch it just to see if they pay homage to two of the most important lines in cinematic history.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
They will have to make all the criminals white to avoid controversy.
This.
Bruce Willis's wife and daughter would be killed in a home invasion by an upstate New York Militia or some gang from Hell's Kitchen, the whiter the better. Suddenly, every criminal in NYC will be a white male.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
This.
Bruce Willis's wife and daughter would be killed in a home invasion by an upstate New York Militia or some gang from Hell's Kitchen, the whiter the better. Suddenly, every criminal in NYC will be a white male.
Jeff Goldblum was one of the thugs in the first one. The lost brother from Happy Days was the villain in #3. Stop acting like these movies accurately represented gang culture.

That being said, I'd rather Goldblum as the lead than Willis.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
This was the gang from the first one.

But let's sob about 2016 political correctness making the bad guys white.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Jeff Goldblum was one of the thugs in the first one. The lost brother from Happy Days was the villain in #3. Stop acting like these movies accurately represented gang culture.

That being said, I'd rather Goldblum as the lead than Willis.
I wasn't a big fan of any of the movies.
I'm just saying it won't represent actual crime statistics, Latino and blacks doing most of the home invasions.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
With Gods of Egypt being criticized by the white guilt establishment for not having Egyptians play the roles and London Falling being brutalized in the reviews for having muslims as terrorists, the casting of the antagonists is not going be an artistic choice but rather political correctness that results in wasps being the bad guys.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I wasn't a big fan of any of the movies.
I'm just saying it won't represent actual crime statistics, Latino and blacks doing most of the home invasions.
Neither did the first ones. Except this one probably actually will have a minority in the gang. Not everything is a Brinks Home Security commercial. And there won't be that undercurrent of homoeroticism prevalent in every 80s gang movie.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
How's this for realism? Willis shoots one person (a white one) in the first 20 minutes and the next two hours are him on trial and the surrounding firestorm. Stat Lives Matter.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
How's this for realism? Willis shoots one person (a white one) in the first 20 minutes and the next two hours are him on trial and the surrounding firestorm. Stat Lives Matter.
You're demanding that the gang members be white so that the movie is faithful to the original?

Racist.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Neither did the first ones. Except this one probably actually will have a minority in the gang. Not everything is a Brinks Home Security commercial. And there won't be that undercurrent of homoeroticism prevalent in every 80s gang movie.
I don't think any 70's movie depicted gangs realistically. Just look at the Warriors.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
I don't think any 70's movie depicted gangs realistically. Just look at the Warriors.
A) The Warriors was in the future.
B) Does the racial make up of the gangs effect your enjoyment of either film?
C) Want to know what will bother me about the film? If the attack on the family is a revenge attack, not random. Because that defeats the point of the movie. Far more than "according to recent crime statistics that gang's racial make up needs to be 20% Latino. Without that accuracy, Death Wish simply does not pass muster."

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
A) The Warriors was in the future.
B) Does the racial make up of the gangs effect your enjoyment of either film?
C) Want to know what will bother me about the film? If the attack on the family is a revenge attack, not random. Because that defeats the point of the movie. Far more than "according to recent crime statistics that gang's racial make up needs to be 20% Latino. Without that accuracy, Death Wish simply does not pass muster."
The Warriors wasn't the Future, it was contemporary times. Like I said, barely remember any of the Deathwish movies, wasn't a fan. Liked Bronson in "The Mechanic" and "Mr. Majestyk"

". I'm just saying it's going to be whitewashed like everything else in this day and age.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
The Warriors wasn't the Future, it was contemporary times. Like I said, barely remember any of the Deathwish movies, wasn't a fan. Liked Bronson in "The Mechanic" and "Mr. Majestyk"

". I'm just saying it's going to be whitewashed like everything else in this day and age.
Stop with the "this day and age" PC paranoia bullshit. I've been showing how it wasn't much better in the 1970s. It's far more diverse now, and I bet new Death Wish has more black criminals than the first one.

Bobobie

Oct 1, 2005
Bay City Michigan
Stop with the "this day and age" PC paranoia bullshit. I've been showing how it wasn't much better in the 1970s. It's far more diverse now, and I bet new Death Wish has more black criminals than the first one.
Lets count them.

Back then there were still a few white gangs so it made sense, but not the number depicted in The Warriors.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
Olds guys are out,
http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/42799/directors-drop-out-of-death-wish-remake

"Big Bad Wolves" directors Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado have dropped out of the upcoming remake of the 1974 Charles Bronson revenge classic "Death Wish" currently in the works at MGM and Paramount.

The pair have left over a matter of creative differences. According to Deadline, they wanted to make over the film with their signature stylized action and sense of humor along with doing a spiritually closer adaptation of the original Brian Garfield novel rather than a direct remake of the previous Michael Winner-directed film.

That upset the studio which had a script that star Bruce Willis signed off on, a start of production date and a projected release date all set. Their departure is said to be more amicable than when Carnahan dropped out of directing.

Roger Birnbaum is producing the film which boasts a script by Joe Carnahan, Dan Gilroy and Graham Yost.
Here's what the directors said when they left...

Relief. Finally a bit of breathing room. You probably remember that a few months ago we were bombarded with greetings and congratulations on receiving our first Hollywood job, Death Wish. You might also remember that Navot and I insisted not to comment on the story or on any of your excited posts about it… not even with a “like”.

It’s not like we became snobs overnight. And it’s not like anybody prevented us from speaking out, it’s just that we found ourselves in a terrible situation. On the one hand, we were indeed offered a dream job, we were indeed offered a legendary salary, and we did indeed pass a stressful and amazing audition with the presidents of MGM and Paramount, and we even met and got the approval of one of the toughest most intimidating stars in Hollywood… yes, yes, Bruce Willis himself saw Big Bad Wolves and thought we were the right people for this violent mission.

On the other hand, the news caught us by surprise, because in reality there were huge differences between our vision and the vision of the studio with the famous roaring lion… we wanted to stay away from the original and problematic (albeit fun to watch) Michael Winner film, and move more towards the spirit of the original novel by Brian Garfield – an excellent minimalist novel that never got the cinematic treatment it deserved. We wanted to follow the vision of the director who originally was set to make it, but ultimately was not allowed to – Sidney Lumet. Lumet wanted to direct a film about a simple man, he even thought of Jack Lemmon for the lead, which experiences a terrible tragedy and then falls to the depths of hell. When we imagined the thriller in our minds we thought Taxi Driver, Falling Down… with a bloodcurdling finale like Sicario.

Unfortunately, the time table for the project did not allow us to make the big changes we wanted to make to the script, and as time passed we realized that we were not going to get what we wanted for this project.

Last night, after long deliberations we finally decided to leave the project.

It was not easy.

To know that you’re giving up money, fame, the opportunity to work with a big star… that you’re kicking the door in Hollywood’s face… knowing that you’re disappointing everybody who supported and encouraged you and wanted you to fulfill your dreams –
All this can really mess with your head and make you doubt yourself. And so it did. But anybody who knows us even for a minute, knows that we’ve never compromised on our vision.

These were three grueling months, three months during which time I walked around wearing sunglasses because I was afraid to answer uncomfortable questions.

Today I can finally take them off and say thank you for your support, your embrace and all the love.

So what now?

A little peace and quiet, a lot of patience and above all, love.
Now? Eli Roth is in.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/43663/eli-roth-to-helm-death-wish-remake

"Hostel" helmer Eli Roth is in talks to direct the remake of Charles Bronson revenge classic "Death Wish" at MGM and Paramount Pictures.

Bruce Willis is attached to star in this new take on the 1974 film and the novel by Brian Garfield in which a man goes on a revenge spree after his wife is killed and his daughter is sexually assaulted.

Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (Ed Wood, Man in the Moon, People v. OJ Simpson) penned the most recent draft of the script with Joe Carnahan penning the original. Roger Birnbaum is producing.
Which of course begs the question, if the studio wants to make it closer to the original, why isn't Joe Carnahan directing it?

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005

Way to miss the point. Completely miss the point.

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004

Way to miss the point. Completely miss the point.
How did they miss the point? Seems that aside from being a bit more crash, boom, bang action oriented, they hit all the main points of the original source material.

Kersey being so flippant seems a bit off, but the basics are there. They expanded the basic premise to make him more of a general purpose protector rather than a revenge obsessed grieving father/husband, but it looked as though it works.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
Oh look, a modern revenge flick masquerading as a shitty reboot.

LiddyRules

Jun 1, 2005
How did they miss the point? Seems that aside from being a bit more crash, boom, bang action oriented, they hit all the main points of the original source material.

Kersey being so flippant seems a bit off, but the basics are there. They expanded the basic premise to make him more of a general purpose protector rather than a revenge obsessed grieving father/husband, but it looked as though it works.
Because the point of the original was that Kersey was a broken man. He was completely shattered because he lost everything. He didn't go after the people who actually killed his wife because he couldn't. They were statistics. He wasn't a wise cracking guy shooting two uzis at once. And whether or not he was doing the right thing was a big question. This is Death Wish 3.

Oh look, a modern revenge flick masquerading as a shitty reboot.
What he said. Odds that Paul's family was specifically targeted to get at him personally?

JoeyDVDZ

That's MR. MOJO, Motherfucker!
Aug 20, 2004
Because the point of the original was that Kersey was a broken man. He was completely shattered because he lost everything. He didn't go after the people who actually killed his wife because he couldn't. They were statistics. He wasn't a wise cracking guy shooting two uzis at once. And whether or not he was doing the right thing was a big question. This is Death Wish 3.

What he said. Odds that Paul's family was specifically targeted to get at him personally?
All valid points, and I agree. That being said, this is, by their own definition, a new take on the story. You're not wrong that Paul Kersey was a deeply wounded man avenging his family's destruction, but the basic story here is the same. They just did as @Mags said, and turned it into a standard Hollywood shoot 'em up action flick based on the original story.

I genuinely loved the first two Death Wish movies, and won't watch this as Death Wish. A standalone movie about a guy who kills the world because of loss? That's pretty much how I see this. I liken this to John Wick, where a guy goes on a revenge fueled rampage over a loss.