Debit card fraud

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Checked my bank balance over the phone just after 5pm to see if a check had posted only to find out that my whole checking account balance had been wiped out and was now overdrawn. WTF?!?!!

Talked to a phone CSR who told me that a debit card transaction was the cause. When she told me who it was, I told her that I had had no contact with that company in over a year. After trying to call the contact number on the transaction and finding out it was not in service, she told me to go to the nearest branch, which fortunately was still open, to sign the dispute paperwork and fax it to them. The problem is it takes 2 business days to even begin to process a credit, so no money until at least Tuesday.

After asking more questions, it turns out the card number that was used was an old debit card number of mine which has been cancelled for over a year because the bank merged into my current bank. The system clearly shows that the card (a mastercard) is not valid. My current card is a visa, so its not even the same number. Plus the billing address is different. No one can explain how the charge was allowed to go through.

I have had legitimate online purchases rejected because of a one character mistake in the billing address, yet someone can charge a cancelled debit card and wipe out my account?

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
These people are motherfucking cocksuckers. I fucking hate them ALL.

I purchased things online from Newegg.com for YEARS now. SUDDENLY this year, every fucking time I buy from them online my fucking card gets locked up. Last time I knew it was coming so I made sure to check my home phone to get the message, called back and approved the purchase. Turns out the next day, in the middle of trying to order lunch with my card, that the approval company didn't even put the approval through properly so my card was still shut off.

I hope they all die.

Fruit Monkey

Don't stare at it eat it! P-1 In trainning
Oct 4, 2004
Intransit
join the club, I had similar happen to me from on line shit.

Jul 13, 2006
Arkansas
I buy from them online my fucking card gets locked up.
I had the same shit happen the other year when i ordered a camera from Brooklyn, NY over the internet.

My card didn't even try to call my cell phone to verify my purchase. They just rejected the purchase and locked my card from future use. I had to call the motherfuckers and they said everything was cleared up but then the store again was rejected so we had to phone conference between us all to verify shit.

It was very annoying. But I'm sure it criminals wouldn't ever be hassled if they want to steal my shit in the future.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
My main beef is that NO ONE is looking at the transaction history, it's just some new set of rules they instituted without our knowledge and won't admit they changed.

If I bought from Newegg.com for years before, can't someone look and say "Hey, that's a somewhat normal purchase for this man, let's not bother him." Plus it's never for a new laptop or anything. I had my fucking shit locked all day one Saturday over a 16 dollar purchase including shipping.

Awful.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
That's why this is so frustrating. I've had $10 debit card/pin purchases rejected because I put gas in my car in NY on the way to the airport in the morning and then tried to buy some stuff at CVS in the afternoon after arriving in Florida. But someone - a major corporation btw - charges a cancelled card and its allowed to go through.

Mar 15, 2004
New Jersey
That's why this is so frustrating. I've had $10 debit card/pin purchases rejected because I put gas in my car in NY on the way to the airport in the morning and then tried to buy some stuff at CVS in the afternoon after arriving in Florida. But someone - a major corporation btw - charges a cancelled card and its allowed to go through.
Total bullshit.

And who is accountable? No one. That's the worst part.

Max Johnson

Oct 14, 2004
I had the same card shutdown over a little horseshit purchase. I was home when they called and I blew shit all over the rep (polite shit though - I know it's not her fault) and she had no answers. I was frauded years ago and that no matter how many times I told the company that I didn't approve those recurring monthly charges, they kept a-comin for several more months.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
When we started building our house the bank said they prefer we use the debit and not checks. We went to town and got a few grand worth of materials at Home Depot and the card was rejected. Wrote a check from the same account and they took it without question. Bastards.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
I Never use my debit card for purchases except at places where I'm the only one that touches the card, like the grocery store, gas pump, or a store where I swipe the card. Never give it to a waiter, use it online, or over the phone. If my credit card gets scammed, I'm not out of pocket any money, even if it is for just a few days.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
thats why i keep only what i need in my account, this way if something stupid happens i can right off that couple of hundred bucks till its figured out, the rest is cash for the most part, even large purchases, im the original nigro wad guy