Dell C521...Is it a good PC

madbam

I'm on da Zoloft..........
Aug 2, 2001
Poughkeepsie, NY
I am looking to buy a need pc and have had dells in the past. I love em. I also want to stay with WIN XP...I am looking at a few on eBay...what do you think?

Dell Dimension C521 Athlon A64 4000+ @ 2.1GHz
Memory
2GB (2X1GB) Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz Sound Card Integrated Audio SpeakersNo speaker Video Card Nvidia GEFORCE6150 LE Graphics GPU Keyboard Dell USB Keyboard Mouse Dell USB 2-Buton Scroll Mouse Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA SATA 7200RPM Hard Drive CD Drive Bay 1 16XDVDRW Serial ATA SATA DVD Burner MediaWindows Media Player 10 Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 With Backup Disk Network Interface Intel Pro 100M Ethernet Integrated PCI NIC Card DVD Burner Software Roxio Creator, Sonic Cineplayer Operating System Backup and Recovery Backup Media for XP Home Bundled Software Microsoft Works 8.5 plus Office Trial, Powerful Word Processing, Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 Dimension and Weight 4.5 inch (H); 15.7 inch (W); 13.9 inch (D); 23 lb System I/O Ports 8 USB 2.0 Ports (2 Front / 4 Back / 2 internal for media card reader)
1 PCI Slot, 1 PCIe Slot, 1 PCIex16 Slot
two 3.5 inch Bays, one 5.25 inch Bay
Modem Not Requested Floppy Drive Not Requested Limited Warranty, Services and Support 1 Year Dell Warranty (Fully Transferable)

martianvirus

READY THE ANALPROBES!!!!!!!!
Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I just know too many people that have trouble with them. Also their customer service stinks.

martianvirus

Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
Gateway is good. I don't care for HP, just because of their cases.

I have a gateway and never had trouble with it. Had to call customer service once because i lost a disk. Got an american human on the phone in 5 seconds. And that was on a saturday. They said my disk would be there in 5 days, but it was at my door on monday, they sent it 2day express.

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
My dad has a gateway, had one problem, since he is computer retarded i helped him out. AMERICAN on the phone and complete intelligence

Gateway is good but their technology is a bit less than top-notch.

MAV

Nov 23, 2005
Denver, CO
i have a dell. have had it for 3years. no complaints what-soever

Arc Lite

As big as your Imagination...
Apr 25, 2005
SW Missouri
Not telling you to get a Dell, but I've had two Dells over the past 6 years and never had a problem. I'm pleased enough that I'll probably get another Dell when it's time for a new one.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
I see more trashed Dells than anything else in the course of a month (I'm a computer professional).

Read this: Confessions of a Former Dell Sales Manager

NYS is actually suing Dell over misleading warranty service claims, though that seems to be helping. No hard evidence yet, but it seems that all support calls to them are being handled a little faster since the lawsuit was announced.

All that aside, the configuration is a similar one that I build for business customers and home users who's main use is internet, email, word processing. Though it is very capable at handling multimedia duties as well.

The video card is not seperate, but is integrated into the motherboard and shares RAM with the rest of the system. Though compared to other integrated video solutions, it does have enough power to handle some games as long as you don't expect them to run with all settings on high. It also can handle all versions of Vista.

The case is somewhat limited giving you little or no room for upgrades. It can accept cards, but only half-height, which are more difficult to find. In the past, Dell has used riser cards, which allowed add-in cards to be rotated 90 degrees to fit in their smaller cases, no so here. With cheap USB connected options for WiFi, hard drives etc., internal expandibility may not be a concern for you. Consider this system more like a laptop in terms of peripherals.

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
I just know too many people that have trouble with them. Also their customer service stinks.
x2
Similar issues here, shitty quality power supplies, bad hard drive on delivery, and even their Canada-based "Elite Gold Tech Support" sucks a cock.

martianvirus

Nov 20, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
I'll add this, my gateway was not vista ready. I upgraded to vista with no trouble. Everything works. Dell sold PCs that were 'vista ready', but as you know from Anthony's video that it wasn't vista ready. Dell stinks.

thelord68

There's always time for lubricant
Feb 24, 2003
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
I'll add this, my gateway was not vista ready. I upgraded to vista with no trouble. Everything works. Dell sold PCs that were 'vista ready', but as you know from Anthony's video that it wasn't vista ready. Dell stinks.
Anthony's Vista problems probably stemmed from the high end video cards. It was a catch-22. Micro$oft pushed the need for graphics power to run Ultimate, but driver support was not there for the highest end cards when it first came out.