Delta Airlines Adopts No-Jew Policy on Flights to Saudi Arabia

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Weird story. So, USA Today runs a story on this topic, but then immediately pull it claiming that "An early version of this story contained incomplete information and has been removed" and redirect to their blog, which also has a report on the story that also mentions a ban on bibles. Now, we aren't talking about Saudi Airlines flights here. This is DELTA AIRLINES.

Anyway, here is another report on it from (gasp) Huffington Post:

Delta Adopts Saudi Arabian Airlines No Jew Policy

For a long time in Michigan, Northwest Airlines had its hub at Detroit Metropolitan Airport. That meant an essential monopoly on domestic flights in and out of Detroit. A few years ago Delta Airlines took over Northwest Airlines and now the vast majority of domestic flights at Detroit Metro are operated by Delta. That fact makes it especially troubling to learn that Delta will add Saudi Arabian Airlines to its SkyTeam Alliance of partnering companies and would require Delta to ban Jews and holders of Israeli passports from boarding flights to Saudi Arabia. The partnership was originally announced by Delta Airlines in a press release on January 10, 2011.

World Net Daily reported that this issue "first was presented to Congress, the public and others by talk radio host and former U.S. Rep. Fred Grandy, whose own battle against discrimination was documented when his former radio station demanded he tone down criticism of Islam on his program. He then left the station."

The article included correspondence from Kathy M. Johnston, Delta's coordinator of Customer Care, explaining that Delta does not discriminate nor condone discrimination against any protected class of passenger in regards to age, race, nationality, religion, or gender. However, she stated , Delta must comply with all applicable laws in every country it serves. That means that if the Saudi government denies Jews from entering its country and Delta brings them there on its flight they can be fined.

The issue here is one of principle. Delta isn't being forced to include Saudi Arabian Airlines into its Sky Team Alliance. In fact, Delta could stand on principle and refuse to include Saudi Arabian Airlines based on its discriminatory policy. No, it's not Delta's fault that the Saudi government is anti-Semitic, but it doesn't have to go along with it. It's as if the Saudis are telling Delta that when it comes to Jewish passengers it's name should become an acronym: "Don't Even Let Them Aboard."

I know I'm not the only one who finds it troubling that Delta would go along with Saudi Arabia's policy of not allowing Jews on their flights. While I'm not planning a vacation to Riyadh any time soon, I would have a hard time flying with Delta knowing they are collaborating with the discriminatory government of Saudi Arabia.

The American Center for Law and Justice has already taken up this issue and I have no doubt that organizations like the Anti-Defamation League will not be far behind. I fly Delta a lot, both domestically and internationally. In fact, I've flown Delta flights to and from Israel twice in the past four years. Each time I arrive to my destination with Delta, I hear a flight attendant thank the passengers by saying, "We know you have a choice when you fly so thank you for choosing Delta." However, that's not entirely true. Here in Michigan, we often don't have much of a choice when we fly. It's usually Delta or nothing.

I have no doubt that this matter will not quietly go away. The Jewish community will not feel comfortable flying Delta knowing about its new association with Saudi Arabian Airlines.
Now, granted they have to abide by local law (even though Jews have been known to go to Saudi Arabia for various business reasons even though Jews are officially banned from Saudi territory), but this ban also applies to anyone with an Israeli passport, or a stamp from Israeli customs (known as the "Israeli Stamp Stigma"). And besides, would they have gone along with a similar agreement with an Apartheid-era South African airline, or a mid-90's Bosnian airline that banned Muslims?

PS: I know WND is a no-no round these parts, but their story on this is very comprehensive and includes correspondence with Delta themselves etc.

SuperGolfer

I got it from a negro
Nov 6, 2004
Who gives a fuck, if a Jew really wants to go to Saudi Arabia, and if the country will let him in, he can take a different airline.

As for the Israeli Stamp Stigma (I've never heard it called that), yes. There are only five arab countries that will let you in with an Israeli passport or stamp. It's only an issue for foreign travelers in the region, and they usually plan ahead so they go to Israel last.

Jesus Christ I'm boring.

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Who gives a fuck, if a Jew really wants to go to Saudi Arabia, and if the country will let him in, he can take a different airline.
That's not the point. The point is Delta Airlines is willingly entering into an agreement that would force it to engage in religious discrimination of US citizens on US soil.

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
I know when I went to Kuwait for work the embassy wouldn't visa us if we had an Israeli stamp and we flew military there. But in Dubai we were fine if we had an Israeli stamp.

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
lets ban any dibble dabble raghead on any us plane!

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Let's go after a business trying to make money which is it's job. If Jews had any balls they should fuckin' nuke Saudi Arabia.

Jun 2, 2005
Dallas
That's not the point. The point is Delta Airlines is willingly entering into an agreement that would force it to engage in religious discrimination of US citizens on US soil.
Let's go after a business trying to make money which is it's job. If Jews had any balls they should fuckin' nuke Saudi Arabia.
I have to agree with this.

After 'Nam my dad did a bunch of contracting work in Saudi, and he told me at a very early age about the "stamp stigma" you're talking about. This has been happening forever.

Why are you blaming Delta for enforcing the bullshit laws of the country they're flying to? Do you blame the airlines for the TSA and their bullshit?

Larz

****Self-Banned****
It's My Birthday!
Feb 12, 2006
NYC E. Village, No Homo
And how many countries does Israel deny entry visas? I'm going to guess an afghan or pakistani can't just walk on to a Delta flight bound for Tel aviv. Every country has its own entry restrictions and carriers flying to those countries must abide by them.

If you want to know why Delta is in Business with Saudia thats simple... all the jet fuel they can drink.. probably pennies/liter. I've been on a Saudia flight that had a total of 15 passengers, it was a 747... they simply don't give a fuck when it comes to pissing away money. I guarantee it will be one of Delta's most lucrative routes.

kind of weird that you compared this to Apartheid seeing as how Israel was a big trading partner of Apartheid South Africa and even sold them nuke technology.

As an aside... The best way to travel around the middle east is with multiple passports. Traveling to Israel I always used my U.S. passport.. and to Arab countries I'd go on my Finnish. No entry stamp problems..

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
And how many countries does Israel deny entry visas? I'm going to guess an afghan or pakistani can't just walk on to a Delta flight bound for Tel aviv. Every country has its own entry restrictions and carriers flying to those countries must abide by them.
I don't think they are violating US law, but they certainly are putting themselves in an awkward position here, and not just because of the Jewish thing. Will Delta employees make sure women wear burqas? How about confiscating alcohol or Jewish and Christian religious items? Judging by their official response to this story, that is what they will be expected to do (because if they allow alcohol or indecent women into Saudi Arabia, they could get fined, or even banned from flying to the country).

kind of weird that you compared this to Apartheid seeing as how Israel was a big trading partner of Apartheid South Africa and even sold them nuke technology.
We aren't talking about Israel. We are talking about the US. Nice try, though.

And again, the South Africa thing was just an example of a case in which Delta would be legally OK with doing it, but would have never agreed to on principle. How is that different from this?

PS: Just for the record, Israeli-South African relations are a complicated affair. Israel developed relations with black African nations in the 50s and 60s and snubbed S.Africa because of Apartheid, but all African nations cancelled diplomatic relations with Israel after the Yom Kippur war in 1973 (a war in which Israel was attacked by surprise) and only after that did Israel foster relations with S.Africa, essentially as a fuck you to the rest of Africa. They eventually ratcheted relations down because of Western pressure.

Mags

LDAR, bitch.
Donator
Oct 22, 2004
Ill Repute
I think I just heard that Delta was rated the worst major airline.

Also, boycotting Delta for their discriminatory practices won't do a thing. The way to prove a point would be to get on the flight, don your crucifix or display your bible/torah and see what happens.