OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Democracy in Action: California Bullet Train Losing Support

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by KRSOne, Jun 7, 2012.

1. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

Another democracy fail, have the majority vote to steal from the minority and now the majority don't even support this because its such a huge disaster. By the time they finish the railroads could be obsolete and they will have 20 year old tech

2. KRSOne

KRSOne Registered User

Brown seeks to reduce environmental protections for bullet train

This shows the environmental laws are BS if government can ignore them because they deem it to be for the greater good. If no one rides this train it will be a environmental disaster.

3. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

Alex Jones is adopting CA HSR as his new pet project now? "whaa"

4. thekidslepthere

thekidslepthere Registered User

The stupid people of this state pretty much deserve this shit.

5. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

I think they should build a bullet train from California to Colorado... so the Californians can get to Colorado in a hurry to show those dumb hick Coloradans how to do democracy right.

Neckbeard likes this.
  6. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I they should train a bullet to go from California to Colorado to a certain mother's basement. :action-sm

7. weeniewawa

weeniewawa it's a man, baby!!!

this train is a joke, amtrack goes right thru my town, the same path where the bullet train is supposed to go, and it is always empty

and how fast can the train go when it has to stop at each town between Sacramento and LALA land?

huge boondoggle

8. ysr50

ysr50 Well-Known Member
    Donator

I live in southern california and I would have to drive to bakersfield to use this. I can drive to burbank, hop on a southwest flight, fly north, rent a car and be at the hotel faster than this train. I can also go to van nuys, rent a plane and fly myself north, rent a car and be at the hotel in about the same amount of time but that would be more expensive and alot more fun. The only way a high speed rail in socal is going to work is if it links la to vegas with vegas providing a bunch of funding. Bakersfield to Modesto is a bad idea.

9. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

$68 billion for a train? You know things are bad when the union drones who would have been the ones making out like bandits don't support your pork project.

10. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

Ugh... shut up, dumb cunt.

Spoken like your typical retarded Democrat... "Let's make things better by spending billions of dollars we don't have on some useless shit we don't need."

11. MayrMeninoCrash

In the works (Well Victorville to Vegas)

http://www.desertxpress.com/index.html

12. thekidslepthere

This is only the second worst idea in the world to the shit show that is the California High Speed Rail project.

So we drive an hour from LA to Victorville, pay to park, then take a train?

Why not just add more lanes to the roads to Vegas so I don't have to get out of my car?

13. MayrMeninoCrash

Because shit doesn't get built overnight, and once the feasibility of a system between California and Nevada is shown, it will likely spur further investment to get it to the LA basin.

14. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

That's the point. They want you out of your car.

15. thekidslepthere

We can't get the state to eminent domain a couple houses along the 101 in the Valley to get extra lanes to benefit hundreds of thousands of people a day (it would also cause less pollution from all those cars sitting in traffic) and you think they're going to be able to afford squeezing in 100 miles of train tracks to get it to downtown LA?

If I don't have to have my taxes going towards this shit go ahead with it. I'll still be taking a flight from Burbank for less money.

16. MayrMeninoCrash

The people along the 101 have Gov. Brown on speed dial. No way your little inconveniences in traffic are ever going to interfere with their ability to have an extra 10 acres of highway-front property.

Most of the right-of-way from Palmdale to LA is acquired, it will be Caltrans ROW along SR 14 and SR2 then Metrolink ROW into downtown. There's one segment between SR2 and Metrolink that runs through a sensitive area so they are exploring the use of bored tunnels to bypass it. But the bulk of the concept is set for this piece of the alignment.

17. thekidslepthere

You seem to be very familiar with this, but why would this make it to LA, when they're talking about ending the San Fran to LA HSR in Burbank or even further up in San Fernando?

18. MayrMeninoCrash

It's probably because the Metrolink system would need to be upgraded to accommodate the High Speed rail trains on its tracks, and there's probably a disagreement over who will pay for that. As long as MTA is in the equation, it's another Authority that needs its palms greased to make sure shit happens. I've been dealing with mostly optimistic people who don't see this as an insurmountable obstacle and the goal is to get the train to Union Station downtown.

19. Motor Head

Motor Head HIGHWAY TRASH REMOVAL

They wanted to build a high speed rail from Lincoln to Omaha. A ton of people commute back and forth. They did a study and quickly found out that nobody would use it. Plan scrapped, taxpayers save $$$$$.

20. Reaper G

Reaper G POW# 126

I'd love to see a high-speed rail system, but not if Victorville is the stopping point.

What are Europe and Japan doing that the U.S. can't seem to figure out?

21. VMS

VMS Victim of high standards and low personal skills.

Suburban and rural Americans prefer personal transportation, not mass transportation. Tourists who go to Vegas rent cars, even when renting a car is frankly stupid and a waste of time and money.

What's the last time anyone on this thread has actually taken a train somewhere, other than a subway for in-city transportation (for Bay Area transportation, for the San Fran/Oakland types)?

I've taken long train rides before, but always overseas in China or in Europe. I drive to NYC, DC, Baltimore, etc. It's cheaper and I have more flexibility at either end of my trip. There are few things more annoying than being in a new and interesting city and being chained down to the mass transportation system or by walking. Cabs are fine, but I like to actually get to know a city, not just be carted around at a premium price.

22. MayrMeninoCrash

Update

More story at http://www.thehour.com/news/nation_...cle_e4c0eaea-e6ba-5c2d-8cf8-9aa1234dcf03.html

Just some inside. In order to get the greenlight from enough Senators, Gov Brown agreed to make the necessary improvements to the Caltrain line (which connects Gilroy to Downtown SF) and Metrolink (LA Basin) such that these sections will be ready to go for High Speed Rail once the first segment gets there. This bumps up the schedule for when an active high speed train will be ready to go LA to SF after the initial buildout in the Central Valley.

23. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

Looks like you'll be staying in California now huh? :action-sm

24. MayrMeninoCrash

25. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

So the payoff has happened and nothing will ever be built.