DEMOCRAT lawaker wants employers to have your Facebook password

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Come on Mayr. This is just a bill one lone Republican sponsored. The entire party isn't some conspiracy to eliminate the Bill of Rights.
Good answer! We would have also accepted "No biggie, it's an issue of State's rights - Tenth Amendment and all that jazz" as well.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Good answer! We would have also accepted "No biggie, it's an issue of State's rights - Tenth Amendment and all that jazz" as well.
Failing that, "It has no chance of passing, so it's not worth giving any thought to" would've been acceptable too.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
The Republican establishment is still fighting same sex marriage. Name ONE secular reason for it to remain illegal, then ask your why it was outlawed in the first place. The answer is "Because Jesus".
You've got to admit, they have been squirming pretty well to justify their positions. I enjoyed the one lawmaker who said that legalizing gay marriage will open the opportunity for fraud and sham marriages between you and your same-sex roommate. Thank GOD, we wouldn't want to sully the institution of marriage with a bunch of sham engagements.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
I think you're all forgetting the best rationale: "It's not important."

DanaReevesLungs

I can keep rhythm with no metronome...
Donator
Jun 9, 2005
Louisiana
Don could have every single member on here disagree with him and in his retarded mind if what he believed in followed conservative viewpoints, he call us all crazy. He thinks he's never wrong.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
You've got to admit, they have been squirming pretty well to justify their positions.
Yeah, but it's been frustrating to watch how almost no one, even the opponents of DOMA, has touched the separation of church and state issue. Has that come up at all during the hearings?

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
Yeah, but it's been frustrating to watch how almost no one, even the opponents of DOMA, has touched the separation of church and state issue. Has that come up at all during the hearings?
Why would it? "Separation of church and state" isn't in the Constitution.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Why would it? "Separation of church and state" isn't in the Constitution.
Again, Establishment Clause. Like I said, using religious doctrine (specifically Christian doctrine) as a justification for any law, much less an exception to the Equal Protection, is a clear attempt to establish religious belief as having legal merit.

So yes, it is in the Constitution.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Related:

Legislation Preventing Employers From Asking for Facebook Passwords Defeated

By Jason Koebler | April 18, 2013
(Joerg Koch/AP/DAPD)

Employers are still allowed to ask for employees' social media passwords after a late amendment failed.

A last-minute proposed amendment to the Cyber Information Sharing and Protection Act that would have made it illegal for employers or the federal government to ask for employees' or prospective employees' Facebook passwords was defeated in the House of Representatives 224-188 along party lines, with Democrats knocking it down.

Rep. Ed Perlmutter R-Colo. said he offered the amendment due to an emerging trend of companies asking for prospective employees' social media passwords before offering them a job. He said his amendment is similar to legislation that prevents employers from requiring polygraph tests as a condition of employment.

"Let me boil [it] down: these are two direct and simple paragraphs that say as a condition of employment, you can't be made to give up a password to your Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn accounts," Perlmutter said. "This thing has exploded. People are being asked for their private passwords to various social media networks."

Rep. Mike Rogers, D-Mich., sponsor of the CISPA bill, said Perlmutter's amendment was nothing more than an attempt to kill the law, a claim Perlmutter denied.

"This has nothing to do with our bill," Rogers said, suggesting the issue should be tackled with separate legislation.

Last year, Maryland became the first state to make it illegal for employers to ask for employees' Facebook passwords.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...s-from-asking-for-facebook-passwords-defeated