Deputies raid North Carolina turkey farm

mr. sin

Mar 30, 2005
RALEIGH, NC
butterball abuse vid
http://www.butterballabuse.com/
[nsfw][yt]D5LM06ZvCk4[/yt][/nsfw]

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/abc11_investigates&id=8483425

HOKE COUNTY (WTVD) -- Deputies with the Hoke County Sheriff's Office were joined by other officials Thursday morning in a raid at a Butterball turkey facility in Shannon, NC.
The investigation began after a complaint was filed with the Hoke County District Attorney by the animal rights group Mercy for Animals.

The complaint, obtained by ABC News, says an activist with the group worked undercover at the facility for three weeks and captured hidden camera video of Butterball employees intentionally committing "acts of violence and severe neglect."

The video appears to show workers kicking and stomping turkeys. The video also shows injured birds with open wounds.

Mercy for Animals posted an edited clip of the video it says it obtained at the web site www.butterballabuse.com.

"Butterball is guilty of extreme animal abuse and should be held criminally accountable," said MFA’s Executive Director Nathan Runkle in a statement released with the video.

The group said it planned to hold a news conference in Raleigh Friday.

ABC11 has reached out to the Butterball company for comment on the raid and is expecting a statement later today.

THE FEZ MAN

as a matter of fact i dont have 5$
Aug 23, 2002
Beat meat is so much more tastey

kidconnor

55gallon hog
Mar 16, 2005
brooklyn
As a carnivore that rubs butter under the skin and stuffs bread and spices inside before I bake it at 350 in an oven, I can't see my complaint about this meaning anything.

Just want to add that whatever they do there that they're complaining about, their turkey is fucking tasty...

(Added the there they're and their line as an educational tool)

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
It was also reported that the turkeys were apparently unclothed at the time of the investigation.

OilyJillFart

Well-Lubed Member
Sep 26, 2008
Yeah, it's got to suck being a turkey.
If the turkey business is run anything like the chicken business described in 'Food Inc.' there isn't any money in it for the farmers, and it won't attract any of the kind of people who might give half a shit about the animals.
It's cheaper to buy a ready to cook turkey from the store than it would be to grow your own even if you had the room to do it, I guess I'll just not watch the video and be glad I have cheap food..

lajikal

Aug 6, 2009
Yeah, it's got to suck being a turkey.
If the turkey business is run anything like the chicken business described in 'Food Inc.' there isn't any money in it for the farmers, and it won't attract any of the kind of people who might give half a shit about the animals.
It's cheaper to buy a ready to cook turkey from the store than it would be to grow your own even if you had the room to do it, I guess I'll just not watch the video and be glad I have cheap food..
Oh I'll still watch the vid but give a brief moment of silence in membrance of their sacrifices as I proceed to chow down like a damn hyena.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
Orly? Our turkeys lay eggs in the spring and we stuff them in the incubator. At a point in time weeks in the future, turkeys appear from the cracked eggs. These get tossed in a big safe pen and fed until they get feathers. By then the weather is warm and they go out in the field where they spend the summer and fall eating bugs and grass and feed and veggie scraps and lost mice and frogs and slow chickens and anything else they can peck to death with their creepy dinosaur beaks. In the fall we dine upon their flesh and wait for the next year to raise and kill more. Ahh, the circle of life.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Turkey is my least favorite meat. I don't really eat it so I have nothing to feel guilty about.

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
A co worker brought cajun style, slow cooker turkey to work the other day. Fucking yummy. Melted in your mouth.