OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Despicable

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Josh_R, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Grown men playing a children's game is serious shit. We have rules and we don't bend them for nobody. Not even to honor real men who have died in service to their country.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/...r-military-tribute-hats-during-game-to-honor/

Save all that patriotism shit for batting practice, we have a serious game to play. God forbid your hat is different.

2. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

I kinda side with MLB. If you don't nip this shit in the bud, pretty soon you've got one team wearing pink Susan G Kuntenstein Cunt Cancer Memorial hats, and another team wearing hemp hats with Legalize Medical Marijuana! slogans. Just wear the uniform and stop with the political and memorial shit.

On the other hand... baseball really is a game for children, and any adult who takes the stupid costumes they wear too seriously should be shot.

Meh... I extremely don't care either way.

3. fletcher

fletcher Darkness always says hello.
    Donator

Havent the Padres broke out the camo uniforms a few times a season for the last couple years? And every other team wearing numbers of retired/deceased former players? And teams wearing special patches for the inaugural seasons in new stadiums?

I can see where Bud Selig et al are coming from on this one. Don't want to cheapen the sport. :icon_roll

4. ih8Uboo-boo

ih8Uboo-boo (R)acist

They should have just done it. It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than it is to get permission.

5. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

nah, sports won't get cheapened until a new expansion team is playing in masingil stadium

6. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

Nothing says honor the troops like wasting a bunch of money on hats for one game.

7. ruckstande

ruckstande Posts mostly from the shitter.

Yeah, it's not like those military fly overs that don't cost money and are not really important to the game.

8. Falldog

Falldog Wackbag's Best Conservative
    Donator

Fly overs are usually in conjunction with training exercises, so they're at least justifiable.

9. Stormrider666

Stormrider666 Hell is home.

I kind have to agree with this. MLB has done a lot to honor the armed forces in the past 10 years. Now granted they do make money off the hats that all teams wear on Memorial Day and the 4th of July by selling them on their website. But a portion of the money does go to charities that help the troops.

10. whiskeyguy

whiskeyguy PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.

Well, not always

[​IMG]

:action-sm

11. B54

B54 Ω

;)

12. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

They have for years, maybe even before 9/11. There's obviously a lot of military bases down there so they always have special military days throughout the season, not just on Memorial Day.

[​IMG]

Still not sure if I disagree with MLB on this specific situation. I would wonder if other families would think we're putting the helicopter incident above all the other sacrifices.

13. Lord Zero

Lord Zero Viciously Silly

Since when is it a sports team's job to comment on what's going on in the world? I didn't like it when the Phoenix Suns protested Arizona Senate Bill 1070 with their stupid "Los Suns" jerseys and I don't like this Navy SEAL tribute hat idea either. Let the players do it as individuals if they want to but leave the team out of it.

14. Creasy Bear

Donator

I was out in my backyard just North of Indianapolis this summer and I heard a funny noise above me so I looked up... ZOINKS! The Klingons from Uranus are invading the Earth!

Let me tell you...a B2 stealth bomber 1000 feet above your head is a fucking shocking sight if you're not expecting it. Those freaky things look like they are absolutely not of this world when you see them in real life.

It flew a racetrack pattern that went right over my neighborhood... shit... right over my back yard about 10 passes. It was there to do a flyover of the Indianapolis 500 at the brickyard which is just south of me.

I don't know where those things are based, but I do know they are frighteningly expensive to operate. I can just imagine how much that little show cost the taxpayers.

15. CousinDave

CousinDave Registered User

That's 'cause they were reverse engineered from the alien interstellar craft that crashed in Roswell, New Mexico shortly after WWII - the aliens detected the atomic bomb blasts and needed to investigate whether we were advanced enough for first contact to be made ---- mannnnnnnnnnnnnn

16. Creasy Bear

Donator

Dude! Exactly!

[​IMG]

17. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

I do find it sort of funny that MLB cares this much while the NFL has those ass holes out there in Susan G Cunt pink all over the damn place.

B-2s are based out of Kansas, btw, so not such a big deal.

18. the Streif

the Streif ¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
    Donator

19. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

Wow, I never thought anyone took baseball so serious that they would actually debate the merits of the MLB cracking down on the devastating act of wearing whatever hat you want all willy-nilly. Can anyone remind me why the entire baseball league gives a fuck what hat an individual team wears? Will less people come pay hundreds of dollars for tickets and beers if the teams are not wearing their mandated hats?

20. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

21. the Streif

the Streif ¡¡¡¡sıʞunɹɹɹɹɹɹɹℲ
    Donator

22. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

23. Norm Stansfield

Norm Stansfield 私は亀が好きだ。

The MLB is a business, and the caps have the most recognizable branding on them. So that's the one part of the uniform they want left alone, or at least not replaced completely.

If you think losing something valuable is the proper way to honor dead soldiers, get your couch out to the yard, and set it on fire for the troops. Or do it in the house, be really patriotic.

Personally, I don't see how changing the caps is more patriotic than changing the uniforms. I can see how it's worse for business though.

24. CougarHunter

CougarHunter Lying causes cat piss smell.

If you want to honor them, how about leaning on your congresscunts to put a stop to the constant warmongering and bring them home where they belong.

25. Josh_R

Josh_R Registered User

This makes no fucking sense. Do you really think anyone is going to say "Gee, I would love to go buy this team's merchandise, but I don't know who they are because they aren't wearing the right hats"? Changing the hats is more "patriotic" because it is far more visible (as you said earlier) than a tiny little parch on the uniform or a black band or something.
    Also, how is losing something valuable (aka making a sacrifice) not patriotic? Is it more patriotic to say you support the troops when it costs you nothing to do so, or when you are willing to do it even if it costs you a little cut in hat sales? I guess I should have just talked about how much I support my country, instead of signing my (valuable) life away to the Marine Corps for 5 years.

Agreed, this would be much better than a hat.