Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick to face felony charges

Newmania

**I move away from the mic to fuck your mother.
May 15, 2006
The lily white suburbs of Detoilet
Can Detroit get any more ghetto?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/24/kilpatrick.investigation/index.html

DETROIT, Michigan (CNN) -- A Wayne County prosecutor said Monday she will seek felony charges against Detroit's embattled Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick reportedly sent romantic texts to his chief of staff, contradicting earlier testimony.

Kilpatrick, who is married, has been snarled in a well-publicized sex scandal since January after The Detroit Free Press reported he exchanged romantic text messages with his then-chief of staff, Christine Beatty.

The Detroit Free Press reported in January that in an analysis of nearly 14,000 text messages on Beatty's city-issued pager, it found some from 2002 and 2003 that indicated the two were having a romantic affair.

The newspaper report contradicted testimony Kilpatrick gave last August in a court case brought by police officers against the mayor and the city of Detroit alleging the mayor retaliated against the officers for their role in investigating his office. Critics alleged that Kilpatrick committed perjury in the case and called for his resignation.

In testimony during that case, Kilpatrick and Beatty both denied having a romantic relationship.

Prosecutor Kym Worthy said that "even children understand that lying is wrong. Witnesses must give truthful testimony."

Worthy said she will seek perjury, official misconduct and obstruction of justice charges. Watch a report about the messages »

Beatty resigned as Kilpatrick's chief of staff on January 28.

Kilpatrick offered an abject apology to his constituents January 30, but remained adamant he would not resign.

"I truly apologize to each and every one of you, individually and to the whole city," Kilpatrick said in a sometimes emotional televised statement.

Sitting next to his wife, Carlita, he also apologized to "my entire family, and specifically to the four people I love most in this world" -- his wife and his sons, 12-year-old twins Jelani and Jalil and 6-year-old Jonas.

"Over the past few days, there has been some speculation about who is in charge of the city," Kilpatrick said. "Make no mistake about it: Since 2002, I have been in charge of the city. There have been ups and downs. There have been hills and mountains and valleys, but through it all, I remain in charge of the city."

On speculation regarding a possible resignation, the mayor said, "Let me be clear: I would never quit on you. Ever. We've got a lot of work to do, and with your help, I'm going to continue to lead this city in getting the work done."

Kilpatrick was frank about the pain the allegations have caused his family. "I'm responsible for that," he said.

"For the first time in my life, I had to have a conversation with my 12-year-old twin sons about very grown-up things. It was, without a doubt, the hardest conversation that I've ever had in my entire life."

Regarding his wife, he said, "Our marriage has not been perfect, but it has been great. Now I've put her in a situation which many couples deal with in the privacy of their own homes. But in our case, it's on the front page of the newspaper."

Carlita Kilpatrick also spoke. "Yes, I am angry. Yes, I am hurt and I am disappointed, but there is no question that I love my husband," she said. The couple has been working "through some very painful issues" with help from their pastor and others, she said.

"Our family has endured the most painful and intrusive week of our lives," she said. "Our most intimate issues have been laid out for all to see. ... However, this private matter is between me, my husband and God. We are deeply committed to working through these issues together as a family."

The mayor and his wife urged Detroit residents -- and the media -- to allow them privacy and space.

"If you have to attack someone, attack me," Kilpatrick said. "I would ask that you don't follow my wife, you don't film my kids going to school. I ask you not to have helicopters flying around our home. I ask that you leave them alone. I am the mayor. I made the mistake. I am accountable."

He said he could not discuss specifics of the situation because of pending "legal issues."

Kilpatrick said he knew residents have been waiting to hear from him, but last weekend, for the first time since he took office six years ago, "I just put everything aside and focused on my family."

He said he told his sons that when you make a mistake, "you learn from it. You get up, you dust yourself off and you keep moving forward," adding that he hopes the city will keep moving forward.

"God bless you, Detroit," he said. "I love you, and I'll see you at work tomorrow." E-mail to a friend

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
The mayor and his wife urged Detroit residents -- and the media -- to allow them privacy and space.

"If you have to attack someone, attack me," Kilpatrick said. "I would ask that you don't follow my wife, you don't film my kids going to school. I ask you not to have helicopters flying around our home. I ask that you leave them alone. I am the mayor. I made the mistake. I am accountable."
He says, as he's done everything in his power to AVOID accountability.

He said he could not discuss specifics of the situation because of pending "legal issues."

Kilpatrick said he knew residents have been waiting to hear from him, but last weekend, for the first time since he took office six years ago, "I just put everything aside and focused on my family."
What a piece of shit this guy is. He's dirtier than a $10 whore, yet tries to pull the "just leave me alone, this is an issue I'm working through with my family" card.

Edit: I see that the AP is back to it's litle game of "name that party!", i.e., there's no reference in the AP article to the fact that Kwame is, of course, a DEMOCRAT involved in a major scandal.

Edit: Well, this is even more amusing. I apologize to AP - they apparently did mention that he was a Democrat. It was that subsequent news organizations who ran the story just chose to leave that little tidbit out.

seeinred

White Death
Apr 29, 2007
Sterling Heights, MI
I was very happy to see this on the news when I woke up this morning. Hopefully he'll get to spend a good chunk of time in prison.

nitron

fallacy in plain sight
Jun 12, 2005
nyc
He says, as he's done everything in his power to AVOID accountability.

What a piece of shit this guy is. He's dirtier than a $10 whore, yet tries to pull the "just leave me alone, this is an issue I'm working through with my family" card.

Edit: I see that the AP is back to it's litle game of "name that party!", i.e., there's no reference in the AP article to the fact that Kwame is, of course, a DEMOCRAT involved in a major scandal.

Edit: Well, this is even more amusing. I apologize to AP - they apparently did mention that he was a Democrat. It was that subsequent news organizations who ran the story just chose to leave that little tidbit out.
Could you elaborate on this "name that party"?

Vyce

Light-skinned, with no Negro dialect.
Feb 11, 2006
Washington D.C.
Could you elaborate on this "name that party"?
Goes towards media bias.

Basically, whenever a politician fucks up in some way, take note of whether or not his party affiliation is prominently mentioned in the news article or broadcast.

If the news story or report is vague as to party affiliation, often times, it's a Democrat.

nitron

fallacy in plain sight
Jun 12, 2005
nyc
I've heard a lot that the newsmedia favor Democrats.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Sep 15, 2004
F.U.B.A.R
The voters of Detroit would still vote for him, convicted or not.

Zona992006

New Wackbag
Jan 26, 2007
The voters of Detroit would still vote for him, convicted or not.
I don't think so. There are a lot of people calling in from Detroit stating how much they think he sucked. People in Detroit really do hate this liar uh guy. He really screwed up that city (which is kind of redundant considering its Detroit).

Fuck him.

South Jersey

I told you so ... too
Sep 14, 2004
South Jersey
This is a city that the majority of the residents pray that the Pistons never win another NBA title. The last "celebration" cost millions in arsons and left over a hundred dead.

Best part of this is the fact that the so called "hip hop" mayer dug up the ole N word and gave it new life.

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
Sep 9, 2005
In the D - south of 8 mile
This is a city that the majority of the residents pray that the Pistons never win another NBA title. The last "celebration" cost millions in arsons and left over a hundred dead.
That is not true.

Just because you're from Jersey- don't make up shit about Detroit.

Just pick on Cleveland.

blotto98

YEAH! Wait. What?
Sep 9, 2005
In the D - south of 8 mile
See it's not just the blacks.....

HELSINKI, Finland -- Finland's foreign minister was ousted Tuesday by his conservative party over a text message scandal involving an erotic dancer.

The scandal, which had been making headline news for weeks, had eroded trust in and respect for Ilkka Kanerva, said Finance Minister Jyrki Katainen, chairman of the National Coalition Party, which holds the Foreign Ministry post in the coalition government.

"The minister does not enjoy trust," Katainen told reporters.

"It's a heavy decision. He's a friend, and he's done his work well."

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick also is dealing with the fallout from a text message scandal, having been charged in a criminal case last week.

Katainen said he would propose Alexander Stubb, a European Parliament lawmaker, as the new foreign minister. He said he had discussed the matter with President Tarja Halonen and Prime Minister Matti Vanhanen, who was traveling abroad. The appointment was expected to be confirmed on Friday.

Kanerva, 60, initially denied reports in Hymy -- a gossip magazine -- that he had sent about 200 messages by mobile phone to the dancer, Johanna Tukiainen. But last week he apologized publicly, acknowledging he had sent some messages but insisting they were all work-related.

The 29-year-old dancer said Kanerva had, among other things, inquired about her underwear.

On Tuesday, the Hymy monthly published some of the text messages allegedly sent by Kanerva to Tukiainen.

In the messages, Kanerva proposes meetings and dinner with Tukiainen and her sister, asks whether he would be allowed to touch her at a nightclub and discusses women's clothing.

Kanerva, who held three minister posts in various governments in the 1990s, was chosen to be foreign minister last year by Katainen. In 2005, he was involved in a similar text message scandal when he was a deputy speaker of Parliament.

"He promised he would not repeat" such a scandal, Katainen said, "but he did not keep that promise."

Although Kanerva apparently broke no laws and his longtime partner accepted his apology, there were widespread calls for his dismissal.

The Foreign Ministry said Tuesday that Kanerva was on sick leave and would not talk to the media. A day earlier, Kanerva told reporters he was "fit and well" and had no intention of resigning.

Resignations or dismissals over personal matters are unusual in Finland, where politics and private lives have traditionally been kept well apart. But times appear to be changing in the Nordic nation.

Vanhanen, who on Sunday reiterated his trust in Kanerva, saying the foreign minister's private life was his own affair, has guarded his own privacy vehemently. Last year, he sued his former girlfriend for revealing intimate details about their relationship in a book -- but lost.

In 2005, Vanhanen's predecessor and Finland's first and only female prime minister, Anneli Jaatteenmaki, resigned after only two months in office because she lied about leaking sensitive documents.

WhiteHonkyDevil

El hombre de los moleculos!
Dec 8, 2004
Detroit, MI
About fucking time.

I just don't understand how this shit has been going on as long as it has....

City Council: Step down or Go directly to jail. Do not pass "Go". Do not collect $200.

Kwame: You can't make me!!!

City: Ok, we're voting you out. Everyone hates you. Go away.

Kwame: Nuh-uh!!!! Can't touch this!!!

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
So, Kwame...I'm assuming he's an old white guy, right?

Southtown

Aug 10, 2004
Why do black people move to Detroit?

They hear theres no jobs there.

Biff Hardslab

I have the t-shirt
Jan 15, 2007
There's a reason why they don't put the monkeys in charge of the zoo.