I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle

Detroit paramedic has heart attack while giving CPR to man having heart attack
Posted on: 6:37 am, August 20, 2013, by Sarah J. Clark

Pinterest
Twitter
Email

(CNN) — Talk about dedication to the job.

Detroit paramedic Joseph Hardman is being hailed as a hero for performing CPR on a patient having a heart attack — even as he began to have one himself.

One doctor said the odds of this happening are “one in a million.”

“A sudden explosion-type feeling in my chest” is how Hardman, 47, described the incident.

Hardman’s partner drove him and the patient to the local hospital. Both men had identical stents put in to remove blockages, and both are recovering.

Hardman knows how lucky he was to already be on his way to an ER, telling reporters, “If I hadn’t been in the position I was in, I would have been deceased.”

“I would have to say one in a million is about appropriate” a hospital doctor said. “I haven’t ever seen it and I haven’t heard of it.”

Hardman has been working as a paramedic in Detroit for 15 years, and says he has no prior medical history of heart problems.

The blockage was found in a key artery that is often referred to by cardiologists as the “widow maker.”

Doctors say he likely faces months of rehab before he’ll be able to return to work.
http://fox4kc.com/2013/08/20/detroi...-while-giving-cpr-to-man-having-heart-attack/

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
It happens....There was a guy who dropped dead at work around here about 2 years ago.
They now have a smoking bench outside the base in honor of him..

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
One doctor said the odds of this happening are “one in a million.”
Exactly 1 in a million? If this isn't a precise statistical analysis, it doesn't need to be in the story.

It happens....There was a guy who dropped dead at work around here about 2 years ago.
They now have a smoking bench outside the base in honor of him..
Do you have a better or worse chance of survival if something happens to you on the job?

On one hand, you're in an ambulance with another guy trained to save you. Everything you need is right there. However, one of the two paramedics in the area (yourself) is incapacitated, and there's the possibility the other is preoccupied. This post probably belongs in the ponderings thread.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
Exactly 1 in a million? If this isn't a precise statistical analysis, it doesn't need to be in the story.

Do you have a better or worse chance of survival if something happens to you on the job?

On one hand, you're in an ambulance with another guy trained to save you. Everything you need is right there. However, one of the two paramedics in the area (yourself) is incapacitated, and there's the possibility the other is preoccupied. This post probably belongs in the ponderings thread.
most codes...we try to have 3 people working in the back of the bus..then of course, there are radios....
Protocols call for 5 people to work a code....but try fitting 5 people in the back of a moving ambulance working on a patient.
This is pretty vanilla.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
ThumbsUpEMT.Jpg

Sooo lazy

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
because if they have a heart attack or stroke out at work, they're already in an ambulance
Not a lot we can do for strokes (at least where I work) just O-2 and transport with a healthy injection of diesel.

Last edited:

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
Why? It's a decent movie.
I know it's a decent movie, but I have a lot of stuff to watch. So it just adds more to that never-ending list of stuff to watch.

CougarHunter

Lying causes cat piss smell.
Mar 2, 2006
KC Metro
This is mind bending. Like having a tattoo of a butt with a butt-shaped tattoo placed on your butt.

HandPanzer

O Tempora O Mores!
May 30, 2013
Unfortunately he survived and has to keep living in Detroit. My condolences sir.