'Dexter' and 'Weeds' to be edited for CBS?

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
As the Hollywood writers strike enters its second month with no end in sight, recycling cable series on broadcast networks is becoming a reality.

CBS Corp. president and CEO Leslie Moonves said that CBS is planning to run some series that air on its Showtime cable unit, including the breakout hit Dexter.

"Dexter is probably the first one to go on--with some edits," Moonves told reporters at UBS' Global Media & Communications Conference in New York. "It fits with our crime shows."

The edgy, offbeat Dexter, which has become a critical and ratings success for Showtime, stars Michael C. Hall as a Miami police forensics expert who moonlights as a vigilante serial killer.

CBS, of course, is the leader in the forensic crime drama genre with the CSI franchise.

Moonves didn't specify when Dexter would launch on CBS beyond saying it should come "in the near future."

In addition to Dexter, CBS also is considering Showtime's racy period drama The Tudors, which originally was developed for CBS, and the critically praised dark comedy Weeds, about a marijuana-peddling soccer mom. However, both will need heavy editing to make it to broadcast primetime.
http://hollywood.com/news/CBS_Eyes_Dexter_for_Edited_Broadcast/5008637

Damn you writers strike! This sounds like an awful idea. Booooooo.

Glenn Dandy

THE ONLY WHITE PRESIDENT LEFT.
Mar 21, 2005
Wackbag Whitehouse.
Waiting for my girlfriend to get back from Venezuela to watch the last Dexter....Im dying but she will be home Sunday.

good for Michael C. Hall but does anyone watch network anymore?

ShooterMcGavin

Go back to your shanties.
May 25, 2005
Isn't it already on FX?

HateMyName

Functioning Psychotic
Oct 15, 2004
DC suburbs
A&E has been showing the Sopranos for months. It's not the same show. Bad idea, but it's all one company so it's probably a cheap idea.

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
It's a ridiculous idea.

I doubt they have the balls to even attempt it if the strike is still going on. Even though many people love Weeds and Dexter, they're hardly must see TV by any means. I could only imagine how lame edited versions will be, or the religious rights reaction to a series about a bunch of drug dealers or the other one about a serial killer.

CBS is also announcing they're going to start airing their new show "The Captain" which has a whopping three episodes in the can. That will be great if the strike is still going on. Spend millions to launch a new show that's done after the third week, sounds genius to me.

Too bad they canceled "Viva Laughlin" they still have those six hours of unaired prime time TV sitting in a vault some where.

They also own MTV maybe they can run Laguna Beach and The Real World.

Yet they don't understand why CBS stock is tanking in the past month.

N.Y. Johnny

Fake Twitter Friend
Sep 9, 2005
Texas
A&E has been showing the Sopranos for months. It's not the same show. Bad idea, but it's all one company so it's probably a cheap idea.

Yep, I tried watching this on A&E and it just doesn't work, the dubs are terrible almost as bad as those old Kung Fu movies and just ridiculous.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
Yep, I tried watching this on A&E and it just doesn't work, the dubs are terrible almost as bad as those old Kung Fu movies and just ridiculous.
Exactly!

It's like drinking non-alcoholic beer.

ginaf20697

Jul 26, 2005
NH
As long as they keep showing the unedited versions on Showtime, who cares?