DIAMOND: Gun control kills jobs

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
DIAMOND: Gun control kills jobs

Stimulate the economy by repealing pointless firearms restrictions

Ever since Barack Obama was sworn in as president, the economy has misfired. Jobs remain scarce and the market has yet to recover the value it had prior to the 2007 crash. Though Mr. Obama’s policies have unintentionally given a major boost to an industry he hates - firearms - even this one bright spot hasn’t necessarily translated into new employment.

Take Sturm Ruger Co., one of the few publicly traded U.S. gunmakers. Anyone who happened to invest $100 in the firm’s stock on Mr. Obama’s Inauguration Day would have about $532 today. That’s stellar performance in any business climate. According to company filings, Ruger had orders in hand for twice as many guns as it had the capacity to manufacture. Under ordinary circumstances, such sustained demand would be a green light to expand production lines and make new hires.

Unfortunately, Ruger, like most corporations, is afraid of what the Obama administration has up its sleeve. “The company believes that the lawful private ownership of firearms is guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and that the widespread private ownership of firearms in the United States will continue,” Ruger told the Securities and Exchange Commission. “However, there can be no assurance that the regulation of firearms will not become more restrictive in the future and that any such restriction would not have a material adverse effect on the business of the company.”

Between 2007 and 2010, Ruger added just 10 employees.
Other gunmakers have added capacity, but they are doing so very selectively. Last month, Florida Republican Gov. Rick Scott cheered the decision of Connecticut-based Colt Manufacturing Co. to open a factory in Osceola County, Fla. As the firm’s CEO, M. William Keys, explained, “Gov. Scott’s personal commitment to both Colt’s growth plan and America’s right to bear arms was instrumental in our decision.” That’s 63 jobs that the Nutmeg State’s gun grabbers sent to the Sunshine State.

This has happened before. In 1977, Italian gunmaker Beretta set up a factory in southern Maryland. By 1985, it won the contract to manufacture pistols for the U.S. military and its allies, invigorating a region without much industry. “There’s probably not a family in this area not directly impacted by jobs and business from Beretta,” the company’s general counsel, Jeff Reh, told The Washington Times. “We buy local - everything from printing services to cardboard.”

As civilian demand for its products grew, the company wanted to expand, but gun-control fanatic Parris N. Glendening, a Democrat, occupied Government House. Shipping pistols from a distribution center next to the factory would have triggered pointless Handgun Roster Board red tape. So Beretta decided to build a facility in pro-gun Virginia, which offered relief from the Old Line State’s gun-control laws.

There may come a point when long-established firearms manufacturers have no choice but to flee anti-gun states like Connecticut, Massachusetts and Maryland. Since 1526, Beretta has remained family-owned and loyal to its workers, so for now its leaders aren’t eager to accept the solicitations they’ve received from gun-friendly governors to move to another state. “It’s not fair to our employees here in Maryland,” said Mr. Reh.

The regulation-minded states need to realize what Florida and Virginia already understand. Firearms sales and ownership are at an all-time high, while crime remains at an all-time low. Gun control doesn’t save lives or reduce crime; it just destroys jobs. Federal and state lawmakers could give the economy a real stimulus by repealing these obnoxious statutes once and for all.

Link

Para-Ordance pistols used to be made around the corner from my house in Toronto... they were there for like 20 something years... guess they were tired of dealing with the gun/taxes etc... in Canada and moved their whole shop to NC.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Let's see a list of all the gun-controlling regulations Obama has proposed or passed........

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
Let's see a list of all the gun-controlling regulations Obama has proposed or passed........
One

Two

Three

Do I really need to go on? Obama is absolutely anti-gun, and has only not pushed for it because he knows A) he no longer has the votes in the House, and B) it would be political suicide for his re-election.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Link

Para-Ordance pistols used to be made around the corner from my house in Toronto... they were there for like 20 something years... guess they were tired of dealing with the gun/taxes etc... in Canada and moved their whole shop to NC.
It should be noted that their quality went to dogshit at some point after the move to NC, too. My dad has a much older Para that runs like a tank. Newer ones tend to suck a bag of cocks, though.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Here ya go:
FACT: Barack Obama opposes four of the five Supreme Court justices who affirmed an individual right to keep and bear arms. He voted against the confirmation of Alito and Roberts and he has stated he would not have appointed Thomas or Scalia.17

FACT: Barack Obama voted for an Illinois State Senate bill to ban and confiscate “assault weapons,” but the bill was so poorly crafted, it would have also banned most semi-auto and single and double barrel shotguns commonly used by sportsmen.18

FACT: Barack Obama voted to allow reckless lawsuits designed to bankrupt the firearms industry.1

FACT: Barack Obama wants to re-impose the failed and discredited Clinton Gun Ban.15

FACT: Barack Obama voted to ban almost all rifle ammunition commonly used for hunting and sport shooting.3

FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a 500% increase in the federal excise tax on firearms and ammunition.9

FACT: Barack Obama has endorsed a complete ban on handgun ownership.2

FACT: Barack Obama supports local gun bans in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and other cities.4

FACT: Barack Obama voted to uphold local gun bans and the criminal prosecution of people
who use firearms in self-defense.5

FACT: Barack Obama supports gun owner licensing and gun registration.6

FACT: Barack Obama refused to sign a friend-of-the-court Brief in support of individual Second Amendment rights in the Heller case.

FACT: Barack Obama opposes Right to Carry laws.7

FACT: Barack Obama was a member of the Board of Directors of the Joyce Foundation, the leading source of funds for anti-gun organizations and “research.”8

FACT: Barack Obama supported a proposal to ban gun stores within 5 miles of a school or park, which would eliminate almost every gun store in America.9

FACT: Barack Obama voted not to notify gun owners when the state of Illinois did records searches on them.10

FACT: Barack Obama voted against a measure to lower the Firearms Owners Identification card age minimum from 21 to 18, a measure designed to assist young people in the military.11

FACT: Barack Obama favors a ban on standard capacity magazines.12

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory micro-stamping.13

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory waiting periods.2

FACT: Barack Obama supports repeal of the Tiahrt Amendment, which prohibits information on gun traces collected by the BATFE from being used in reckless lawsuits against firearm dealers and manufacturers.14

FACT: Barack Obama supports one-gun-a-month handgun purchase restrictions.16

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on inexpensive handguns.9

FACT: Barack Obama supports a ban on the resale of police issued firearms, even if the money is going to police departments for replacement equipment.9

FACT: Barack Obama supports mandatory firearm training requirements for all gun owners and a ban on gun ownership for persons under the age of 21.9
Proof of voting record, quotes listed at the bottom:
http://www.nraila.org/obama/

Dec 8, 2004
Maine
It should be noted that their quality went to dogshit at some point after the move to NC, too. My dad has a much older Para that runs like a tank. Newer ones tend to suck a bag of cocks, though.
Well the guys that used to run it were two Hungarian tool and die makers... and when one of them died the other guy moved the manufacturing down south. Where I'm sure they do not have to worry about union issues etc...

Hoffman

Guess who's back? Hoffman's back
Sep 28, 2006
Northern VA
One

Two

Three

Do I really need to go on? Obama is absolutely anti-gun, and has only not pushed for it because he knows A) he no longer has the votes in the House, and B) it would be political suicide for his re-election.
I've always said that the Second and Abortion are very similar issues politically. Sure, you have your politicians who oppose one or the other, but they'll never do a thing about it because it would be political suicide. The gun and abortion lobbies are powerful enough to bring down anybody who would radically change either of them.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
So if you can see this is the case, why can't multi-million dollar corporations?

And when does the excuse of "hurr, Obama/Democrats MIGHT do something that will hurt our business" become tired? There will always be some mysterious threat to your core business out there somewhere, good businessmen adapt and learn to profit from this. Lazy companies use this for an excuse and the rubes just lap it up.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Still waiting for a specific list of laws/regulations PRESIDENT Obama has personally pushed for. Saying he agrees with Sarah Brady's crusade doesn't equal an Assault Weapons Ban.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Obama on concealed carry:
"...I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry," Obama said. Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Obama on DC gun ban:
[YT]-wu9jE1MnAE[/YT]

Any more questions, Mayr?

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
Still waiting for a specific list of laws/regulations PRESIDENT Obama has personally pushed for. Saying he agrees with Sarah Brady's crusade doesn't equal an Assault Weapons Ban.
The President saying he wants to ban concealed carry, approves of the DC gun ban, etc. isn't a reason for gun manufacturers to be cautious in expanding their businesses, in anticipation of regulations and restrictions?

Are you calling the President a liar, Mayr? A god damn liar?

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
So if you can see this is the case, why can't multi-million dollar corporations?

And when does the excuse of "hurr, Obama/Democrats MIGHT do something that will hurt our business" become tired? There will always be some mysterious threat to your core business out there somewhere, good businessmen adapt and learn to profit from this. Lazy companies use this for an excuse and the rubes just lap it up.
Because the multi-billion dollar gun industry isn't big on taking risks. The R&D, development, tooling, and production costs for a new design are often astronomical. Just expanding an existing production facility for an existing design is a massive cost. When you are dealing with that much money, and an administration that is heavily anti-gun, you are not in the mood to take chances. This is compounded by the fact that the Obama administration has obviously been using the DoJ and BATFE to try to introduce back-door methods of gun control (see the additional reporting required for sales on the southern border, the ATF's proposed and failed ban on importation of many types of shotguns, etc) , and the gun industry has noticed this.

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Did you not read link #2 I posted earlier?

Just weeks after Obama’s inauguration in January 2009, attorney general Eric Holder announced at a press conference that the Obama administration would be seeking a renewal of the expired ban on assault weapons.

“As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons,” Holder said.

To gun owners wary of increased pressure on gun rights, the announcement seemed to serve as validation of their pre-election fears. But the Obama administration dismissed Holder’s statements. When asked about a renewal of the assault weapon ban, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said “the president believes there are other strategies we can take to enforce the laws that are already on the books.”

U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-New York, introduced legislation to renew the ban. However, the legislation did not receive an endorsement from Obama.
The white house back-peddled in an awful hurry once they realized the shit-storm they were going to face if they stood behind that statement. Obama had said prior to his election that he supported a PERMANENT reinstatement of the failed Clinton AWB.

Stig

Wackbag's All-Time Greatest Heel
Jul 26, 2005
NH
Link

Great. So they outsourced the jobs to a bunch of fucking sav... Oh wait. :action-sm

Stig

Jul 26, 2005
NH
Obama on concealed carry:
"...I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry," Obama said. Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Any more questions, Mayr?
You'd support the ban too, if as many people wanted to shoot you as that guy.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
The President saying he wants to ban concealed carry, approves of the DC gun ban, etc. isn't a reason for gun manufacturers to be cautious in expanding their businesses, in anticipation of regulations and restrictions?

Are you calling the President a liar, Mayr? A god damn liar?
I'm calling you disingenuous because despite your insistence that the President wants to take your guns, you cannot show me one piece of legislation he has proposed that does that whatsoever. Very interesting scenario for the "most anti-gun President ever!", no?

Stig

Jul 26, 2005
NH
I'm calling you disingenuous because despite your insistence that the President wants to take your guns, you cannot show me one piece of legislation he has proposed that does that whatsoever. Very interesting scenario for the "most anti-gun President ever!", no?
Oh. So he LIKES guns then? Cool.
Seems weird that he'd be so against gun control laws. Must be an avid hunter or sumpthin' huh?

whiskeyguy

PR representative for Drunk Whiskeyguy.
Donator
Jan 12, 2010
Northern California
Obama has shown his intention for passing that legislation... and I personally have no doubt he will make an attempt to do so if elected to a second term. He obviously has no qualms with pushing through legislation that most of the country is opposed to, and once he's secured his second term will absolutely try to.

Party Rooster

Unleash The Beast
Apr 27, 2005
The Inland Empire State
Nigga can't get ANY love...

Obama anti-gun? No, anti-gun control

Among the many groups that opposed Barack Obama's presidential race, few were more certain or vehement than gun-rights organizations. "Barack Obama would be the most anti-gun president in American history," the National Rifle Association announced. "Obama is a committed anti-gunner," warned Gun Owners of America.

So it's no stunner that after a year in office, the president is getting hammered by people who have no use for his policy on firearms. The surprise is that the people attacking him are those who favor gun control, not those who oppose it.

Obama's record on this issue has been largely overlooked —except by the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which recently issued a report card flunking Obama on all seven issues it deems important. Said President Paul Helmke, "If I had been told, in the days before Barack Obama's inauguration, that his record on gun violence prevention would be this poor, I would not have believed it."

Had he listened to the candidate in 2008, he would have believed. At a September campaign rally in rural Virginia, Obama declared unequivocally, "I believe in the Second Amendment. I believe in people's lawful right to bear arms. I will not take your shotgun away. I will not take your rifle away. I won't take your handgun away. .. There are some common-sense gun safety laws that I believe in. But I am not going to take your guns away."

The Brady Center must have hoped he was being less than honest. And he was: He had no intention of pushing those "common-sense" laws he had previously favored. On the list of issues for which Obama is willing to put himself on the line, gun control ranks somewhere below free trade with Uzbekistan.

So he has proposed nothing in the way of new federal restrictions on firearms. Even the "assault weapons" ban signed by President Bill Clinton — and allowed to expire in 2004 — has no visible place on Obama's agenda.

Not only that, he's approved changes that should gladden the hearts of gun-rights supporters, a group that includes me. He signed a law permitting guns to be taken into national parks. He signed another allowing guns as checked baggage on Amtrak. He acted to preserve an existing law limiting the use of government information on firearms it has traced.

Still, the NRA is not rushing to recant. A spokesman admits the president has signed some provisions it favors, but notes that they were attached to legislation he wanted, making them hard to veto. Says Andrew Arulanandam, "He has disappointed us with his appointments," particularly Attorney General Eric Holder and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, neither a darling of the shooting set.

But those are petty matters given Obama's overall refusal to do anything to advance gun control. On this issue, he took such a strong, clear position during the campaign that he has no room to maneuver. That was not accidental. It was deliberate — the equivalent of burning his ships to eliminate the option of retreat.

In terms of actual policy, rather than his previous record, Obama is a long way from being anti-gun. This is not because he has fond memories of sitting in a deer stand as a lad in Hawaii or of talking shotguns with Dick Cheney. It's because his mother didn't raise a fool.

Like some other Democrats, he may recall that in 1994, after banning "assault weapons," they lost the House for the first time in 40 years. Obama knows that anyone who staunchly favors banning guns won't vote Republican no matter what. But some independents who are protective of their weapons may vote Democratic if that issue is off the table.

Off the table is exactly where he intends to keep it. Last year, 65 House Democrats (including Jerry Costello and Debbie Halvorson of Illinois) wrote Holder vowing to "actively oppose" any effort to restore the assault weapons ban. The president has enough trouble getting legislation that enjoys overwhelming support in his party. He is not about to pick a fight with centrist Democrats over gun control.

Opponents of gun control should not rely on Obama's innermost sentiments on the subject. He obviously doesn't cherish the right to keep and bear arms. But for those who favor Second Amendment rights, here's the nice thing about having such a canny politician in the White House: He doesn't have to.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/ct-oped-0214-chapman-20100212,0,1860230.column
Gun control group gives Obama an ‘F’

By Michael O’Brien - 01/19/10 06:00 AM ET

President Barack Obama on Monday received a failing grade from the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence for running away from gun control.

The group, which endorsed Obama in 2008, gave him an “F” on every issue it scored, including background checks, gun trafficking, guns in public, the federal assault weapons ban, standing up to the gun lobby and leadership.

It's a disappointing year for us, especially considering what he campaigned on,” the group’s president, Paul Helmke, said during an appearance on MSNBC.

When Obama was elected, gun rights supporters feared the new president would take away their guns; their worries spiked gun sales in the days and weeks before Obama’s inauguration. The National Rifle Association (NRA) said Obama would be the most anti-gun president in U.S. history.

But the Brady Campaign, a leading advocacy group for stricter gun laws, said Obama actually has done little to clamp down on firearms since being elected. Instead, the president has signed into law two bills that favored gun-rights supporters.

“This year they ran away from the issue, and actually signed two repeals of good gun legislation,” said Helmke.

Obama signed legislation this year that would allow guns in national parks and on Amtrak trains.

The two gun measures were attached as amendments to larger pieces of legislation —a bill cracking down on credit card companies and a transportation appropriations bill, respectively —that the president generally supported.

A spokesman for the White House did not directly respond to the Brady Campaign’s criticism in an e-mail. He said Obama supports and respects the Second Amendment, and defended the administration, saying it had taken “common-sense steps” to keep streets safe and stem the flow of illegal guns.

White House spokesman Ben LaBolt pointed to the administration’s work to stanch the flow of firearms across the U.S.-Mexico border, as well as its efforts to change the law to enhance investigations into illegal gun trafficking. He said the $787 billion economic stimulus bill and the 2010 budget funded billions for police officers.

“The Recovery Act and the administration’s 2010 budget included a major investment in law enforcement, including billions in funding for communities to hire police officers and to improve their ability to fight crime,” LaBolt said.

Gun rights supporters flexed their muscles several times this year in Congress. Aside from the two bills signed by Obama, gun rights groups also blocked legislation to give District of

Announcements

Columbia residents a vote in the U.S. House by attaching an amendment to repeal D.C.’s handgun ban.

Many Democrats from states carried by Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) in 2008 support gun rights and value grades they receive from the NRA.

That atmosphere in Congress likely made it difficult for the administration to take on gun rights supporters.

For example, the administration backed off signals by Attorney General Eric Holder that it would seek to reinstate an assault-rifle ban that had expired.

“As President Obama indicated during the campaign, there are just a few gun-related changes that we would like to make, and among them would be to reinstitute the ban on the sale of assault weapons,” the attorney general said at the time.

Two months later, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs walked back the pledge.

“The president believes there are other strategies we can take to enforce the laws that are already on our books,” Gibbs said.

Helmke said that the Obama administration hadn’t yet reached out to the gun control group, and that he doesn’t expect the White House to do so anytime soon.

the administration for backing off campaign promises on guns, including the ban on assault rifles.

The Brady Campaign’s report card, and its leader’s critical remarks, come as Obama faces criticism from a number of liberal groups that say the president has ceded too much ground to centrists and Republicans during the healthcare debate. Liberals also have criticized Obama for increasing troop levels in Afghanistan.

Groups like the Progressive Change Campaign Committee (PCCC) have run ads in the midst of the healthcare debate chiding Obama and some Democrats in Congress for having agreed to drop a public health insurance option. And members of Obama’s own party have bucked the president by opposing funding for the president’s troop surge in Afghanistan.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/76717-gun-control-group-gives-obama-an-f

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
I'm calling you disingenuous because despite your insistence that the President wants to take your guns, you keep posting quotes and videos of the President saying that he wants to take your guns
Fixed.
And when does the excuse of "hurr, Obama/Democrats MIGHT do something that will hurt our business" become tired? There will always be some mysterious threat to your core business out there somewhere, good businessmen adapt and learn to profit from this.
Some do adapt:

Hate & Discontent

Aug 22, 2005
Have you not looked at anything we have posted, or are you just being a troll?

Nigga can't get ANY love...
Sure, he's OK with us having our rifles, shotguns, and handguns...so long as they are ones HE and the DoJ would approve of. Wanna bet how long that list would be?

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Based on the evidence presented for Obama, I guess the prospects aren't much better with Mittens

Romney supports tough Massachusetts gun laws
(2002 C-SPAN2 Gubernatorial debate) Note: actual video available on our website
"We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts; I
support them," he said. "I won't chip away at them;
I believe they protect us and provide for our safety."
Romney signs permanent ban on Semi-Automatics
(Gov. Romney’s news release, 7/1/2004)
“In a move that will help keep the streets and
neighborhoods of Massachusetts safe, Governor Mitt
Romney today signed into law a permanent assault
weapons ban...”
Romney using Sarah Brady’s rhetoric
(Gov. Romney’s news release, 7/1/2004)
"These guns are not made for recreation or
self-defense," Romney said. "They are instruments of
destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down
and killing people."
“[Semi-automatic firearms] are instruments of
destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down
and killing people.” Mitt Romney
(from his own 7/1/2004 news release)
Romney supports:
- The Brady Registration Act (Boston Globe 6/12/1994)
- Mandatory Firearms ID Cards (Boston Globe 2002)
- 5-day waiting period (Lowell Sun, 3/30/2002)
- Federal Feinstein Gun Ban (Lowell Sun, 3/30/2002)
- Signed the Mass. Semi-Automatic Ban(7/1/2004)
Better buy your guns now folks! :action-sm

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
Have you not looked at anything we have posted, or are you just being a troll?
I've read through everything. I still cannot find ONE piece of legislation, proposed or signed by PRESIDENT Obama that reduces a gun owner's right.