OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

Did Anyone See American Restoration (History) This Week?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Kirk Strong, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

Some guy brought in a old shoe fitting x-ray for Rick to restore. Rick tested it to see what kind of radiation it was putting out and it was off the charts. It made me think of current day body scanners that the slaves are going into and what health problems they will cause for the people walking through them and the TSA that are standing near them all day. I'm sure back in the day it was just a crazy theory that the shoe fitting x ray could make you sick. The yuppies probably laughed at the theorists as they put their kid in the radiation machine so they could get a perfect shoe fit.

2. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

I work in the radiation therapy field. Have been a nuclear engineer since 1992. Yer wrong on this one sparky. Yes, way back in the day, no one knew how dangerous radiation was or even how to measure it. They used to sell radon treated water for as a health food. For fuck's sake Marie Curie, the person that coined the term radioactivity, died from radiation exposure.

I carry a radiation dosimeter with me whenever I am at work. When I travel on business, I have to carry it on my person because I can't put it in checked luggage or carryon that both get x-rayed and could show that I have an abnormally high dose for that quarter. With that said, over the past 3 years, my dosimeter has gone through both checked luggage scanners and carryone scanners by mistake. I still got to see the results from them and they were pretty high.. I made a mistake about 6 months ago and had my dosimeter on my beltloop when going through a scanner. When I got my results back from the dosimeter read, they were barely above normal background.

So as much as you might think there is a conspiracy about this one. It's impossible, because when I turned the fucking thing in, I didn't say a word to anyone about it and it STILL came back the same.

3. Token White Guy

Token White Guy Continuously Jaded

You do realize you are comparing a machine that flashes x-rays in a fraction of a second to something that had x-rays exposed 24 hours a day, right?

4. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

what was the "source" on this thing? I didn't see the show, but now I am curious. Here's the problem, for most radioactive elements, you need to have what's considered a mid-range half-life to be dangerous. Cobalt 60 was the one we had to deal with the most and it's half life was 5.27 (or so) years. With Co-60, it's damned near harmless after 30 years. This thing sounded like it was much older than 30 years, so that makes me think it was an x-ray tube. That's very similar to the stuff I work on now. The cool thing about them is, when you kill power, all radiation is gone. I've tested it myself with geiger-muller counters.

5. TheDrip

TheDrip I'm bi-winning.

Ok, I finally concede...Kirk's not really that dumb, it's all just a bit.

6. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

The radiation source was a flouroscope bulb to generate X-rays. When Rick restored the machine he took the bulb out and made a fake x-ray sheet the owner could see through the viewfinder.

7. Token White Guy

Token White Guy Continuously Jaded

I don't know what element they were using. I haven't watched thr show Kirk was talking about but I saw something similar a year or two ago.

8. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

ok, that makes sense. Based on the age of the machine, I figured it had to be some sort of tube.

9. BeerBelly

BeerBelly Banned

I watch that show too and his kids dopey hair bugs me

[​IMG]

10. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

All the body scanners I have seen so far have been millimeter wave scanners, not backscatter x-ray systems. The millimeter wave radiation isn't genotoxic, so it does exactly jack and shit to hurt you. You get more radiation on the actual flight than you do on the backscatter systems. Either way, moot fucking point. The privacy and forced ineffecvtive screening annoys me more than the retarded people screaming about radiation from the scanners.

11. Don the Radio Guy

Donator

I'm not even going to read this thread. It's Kirk trying to argue with a guy who works in the medical imaging business.

12. Hate & Discontent

Hate & Discontent Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?

And losing badly, as usual.

13. Party Rooster

Party Rooster Unleash The Beast

I think it's both.

14. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

I'm sure thats what the yuppies said back in the day about x rays for shoe sizing. Its safe, you get more radiation just by living on earth. We already know the TSA lied to us once and the scanners were shown to give out 10 times more radiation than they told us.

15. Psychopath

Psychopath Plata O Plomo

Why the FUCK is this in CE? There is no story connected to the ramblings of this idiot.

16. Kirk Strong

Kirk Strong Banned

I believe this is the same thing.

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/shoefittingfluor/shoe.htm

Correct, the radiation only came out when he turned it on.

17. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

LoL. Kirk arguing with a guy that works with nukes.

This should be good.

18. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

Not sure if I will have time to play tonight. Working on a bad rf tube at the moment.

19. CM Mark

CM Mark The East is Ours!

Do we still have the popcorn image?

20. Ballbuster1

Ballbuster1 In The Danger Zone...
    Wackbag Staff

Nope....[​IMG]

21. CM Mark

CM Mark The East is Ours!

22. Buster H

Buster H Alt-F4
    Wackbag Staff

sorry no good viewing tonight. Spent the night working on an RF tube with internal arcing.

23. MayrMeninoCrash

MayrMeninoCrash Liberal Psycopath

24. JonBenetRamsey

JonBenetRamsey well shit the bed

i saw a guy on tv spinning plates and it made me think that there was NO WAY two planes could take down the world trade center!

25. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned