Did Anyone See American Restoration (History) This Week?

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
Some guy brought in a old shoe fitting x-ray for Rick to restore. Rick tested it to see what kind of radiation it was putting out and it was off the charts. It made me think of current day body scanners that the slaves are going into and what health problems they will cause for the people walking through them and the TSA that are standing near them all day. I'm sure back in the day it was just a crazy theory that the shoe fitting x ray could make you sick. The yuppies probably laughed at the theorists as they put their kid in the radiation machine so they could get a perfect shoe fit.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
Some guy brought in a old shoe fitting x-ray for Rick to restore. Rick tested it to see what kind of radiation it was putting out and it was off the charts. It made me think of current day body scanners that the slaves are going into and what health problems they will cause for the people walking through them and the TSA that are standing near them all day. I'm sure back in the day it was just a crazy theory that the shoe fitting x ray could make you sick. The yuppies probably laughed at the theorists as they put their kid in the radiation machine so they could get a perfect shoe fit.
I work in the radiation therapy field. Have been a nuclear engineer since 1992. Yer wrong on this one sparky. Yes, way back in the day, no one knew how dangerous radiation was or even how to measure it. They used to sell radon treated water for as a health food. For fuck's sake Marie Curie, the person that coined the term radioactivity, died from radiation exposure.

I carry a radiation dosimeter with me whenever I am at work. When I travel on business, I have to carry it on my person because I can't put it in checked luggage or carryon that both get x-rayed and could show that I have an abnormally high dose for that quarter. With that said, over the past 3 years, my dosimeter has gone through both checked luggage scanners and carryone scanners by mistake. I still got to see the results from them and they were pretty high.. I made a mistake about 6 months ago and had my dosimeter on my beltloop when going through a scanner. When I got my results back from the dosimeter read, they were barely above normal background.

So as much as you might think there is a conspiracy about this one. It's impossible, because when I turned the fucking thing in, I didn't say a word to anyone about it and it STILL came back the same.

Token White Guy

Continuously Jaded
Oct 25, 2009
LA... Lower Alabama
You do realize you are comparing a machine that flashes x-rays in a fraction of a second to something that had x-rays exposed 24 hours a day, right?

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
You do realize you are comparing a machine that flashes x-rays in a fraction of a second to something that had x-rays exposed 24 hours a day, right?
what was the "source" on this thing? I didn't see the show, but now I am curious. Here's the problem, for most radioactive elements, you need to have what's considered a mid-range half-life to be dangerous. Cobalt 60 was the one we had to deal with the most and it's half life was 5.27 (or so) years. With Co-60, it's damned near harmless after 30 years. This thing sounded like it was much older than 30 years, so that makes me think it was an x-ray tube. That's very similar to the stuff I work on now. The cool thing about them is, when you kill power, all radiation is gone. I've tested it myself with geiger-muller counters.

TheDrip

I'm bi-winning.
Jan 9, 2006
Ok, I finally concede...Kirk's not really that dumb, it's all just a bit.

MayrMeninoCrash

Liberal Psycopath
Dec 9, 2004
Loveland, CO
what was the "source" on this thing? I didn't see the show, but now I am curious. Here's the problem, for most radioactive elements, you need to have what's considered a mid-range half-life to be dangerous. Cobalt 60 was the one we had to deal with the most and it's half life was 5.27 (or so) years. With Co-60, it's damned near harmless after 30 years. This thing sounded like it was much older than 30 years, so that makes me think it was an x-ray tube. That's very similar to the stuff I work on now. The cool thing about them is, when you kill power, all radiation is gone. I've tested it myself with geiger-muller counters.
The radiation source was a flouroscope bulb to generate X-rays. When Rick restored the machine he took the bulb out and made a fake x-ray sheet the owner could see through the viewfinder.

Token White Guy

Continuously Jaded
Oct 25, 2009
LA... Lower Alabama
I don't know what element they were using. I haven't watched thr show Kirk was talking about but I saw something similar a year or two ago.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
The radiation source was a flouroscope bulb to generate X-rays. When Rick restored the machine he took the bulb out and made a fake x-ray sheet the owner could see through the viewfinder.
ok, that makes sense. Based on the age of the machine, I figured it had to be some sort of tube.

Aug 11, 2005
I watch that show too and his kids dopey hair bugs me

Hate & Discontent

Yo, homie. Is that my briefcase?
Aug 22, 2005
All the body scanners I have seen so far have been millimeter wave scanners, not backscatter x-ray systems. The millimeter wave radiation isn't genotoxic, so it does exactly jack and shit to hurt you. You get more radiation on the actual flight than you do on the backscatter systems. Either way, moot fucking point. The privacy and forced ineffecvtive screening annoys me more than the retarded people screaming about radiation from the scanners.

Don the Radio Guy

G-Bb-A-D
Donator
Mar 30, 2006
Wyoming
I'm not even going to read this thread. It's Kirk trying to argue with a guy who works in the medical imaging business.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
All the body scanners I have seen so far have been millimeter wave scanners, not backscatter x-ray systems. The millimeter wave radiation isn't genotoxic, so it does exactly jack and shit to hurt you. You get more radiation on the actual flight than you do on the backscatter systems. Either way, moot fucking point. The privacy and forced ineffecvtive screening annoys me more than the retarded people screaming about radiation from the scanners.
I'm sure thats what the yuppies said back in the day about x rays for shoe sizing. Its safe, you get more radiation just by living on earth. We already know the TSA lied to us once and the scanners were shown to give out 10 times more radiation than they told us.

Oct 8, 2005
Reality
I believe this is the same thing.

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/shoefittingfluor/shoe.htm

Correct, the radiation only came out when he turned it on.

Buster H

Alt-F4
Wackbag Staff
Dec 6, 2004
Lower Bucks Co, PA
sorry no good viewing tonight. Spent the night working on an RF tube with internal arcing.