Ding Dong, the witch is dead !

IsThatATrain ?

Some things look better with a few dents in them.
Apr 27, 2005
Staten Island
Joe Torre just rejected a one year contract with a 5 million dollar base, and 3 million dollars in incentives...

See ya !:action-sm

I'm tired of him taking credit for a team that Buck Showalter built from scratch, and when it came turn for him to guide the team, and rebuild it from within...he did nothing with it in 7 years.

Lingerrr Longerrr...I've been here for seven years....nothing works here.

So long, douchebag.

UsedLadBag

Your moms box.
Feb 4, 2005
Boston
Not that I give a shit about baseball, but do the Yankees have someone better lined up to manage the team?

Polack

Who is John Galt?
Aug 25, 2005
Not that I give a shit about baseball, but do the Yankees have someone better lined up to manage the team?
No! There isn't a manager out there that can take the heat off the team from the media like Torre. The media and fans in New York are gonna eat up whoever becomes the new manager. I'm predicting three different managers in the next five years. And now that Torre won't be coming back who knows what the lineup is gonna be. There has been speculation that at least three players won't reup unless Torre is managing the team.

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Wrong forum, stupid title, already a thread on this.

That's 3 strikes, and you're a douche.

Dec 25, 2005
NJ
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...mp;fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Torre rejects Yankees' contract offer

Manager walks away, ending 12-year reign as skipper
By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Joe Torre turned down a one-year contract offer to continue managing the Yankees, according to club president Randy Levine.

In a shocking turn of events, Levine announced during a conference call with reporters originating from Tampa, Fla., that Torre rejected a contract that would have paid him a base salary of $5 million, with $1 million bonuses for each level of the postseason the Yankees reached.

Those bonuses would have meant that Torre could have earned as much as $8 million in 2008.

Levine said that if the Yankees made it to the World Series next season, his contract would have extended to 2009, with a base salary of $8 million.

Torre arrived in Tampa earlier in the afternoon and met with Yankees officials, including George Steinbrenner and general manager Brian Cashman, at Legends Field, the team's Spring Training complex.

Torre was not present for the conference call. Levine said he had left.

(what is this doing in O&A General discussion anyway)

norton23

Opie And Anthony Always Win In The End
Dec 1, 2002
TITLE TOWN BABY!!!

well they spend FIFTY ONE MILLION more than the second highest payroll,,,so they have the money to get somebody decent....it's crazy how much they spend and still don't win

:haha7:

IsThatATrain ?

Some things look better with a few dents in them.
Apr 27, 2005
Staten Island
Wrong forum, stupid title, already a thread on this.

That's 3 strikes, and you're a douche.

Wrong forum, definitely, asked the mods to move it 2 minutes after I posted it, stupid title...well I was a little excited, and a lot o' drunk, so piss off on that, and already a thread on this, who gives a F...

So I count a ball and two strikes.

And from one douche to another - at least we don't have that douchebag managing the Yankees anymore:clap:

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I came here looking for Hillary news.

OfficerCornjob

Impossible to walk in this muck.
Aug 7, 2007
Imaginationland
well they spend FIFTY ONE MILLION more than the second highest payroll,,,so they have the money to get somebody decent....it's crazy how much they spend and still don't win

:haha7:
One more loss. It must be so nice to have players who dont give a shit whether they lose or not. Even when the Sox are in the ALCS, their fans still cannot live through their own team. Sorry but a manager leaving a team in baseball doesnt = the end of an era.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Nov 17, 2006
right where I wanna be
Does his rejecting the contract mean he's definitely out or will they come back with another offer? I'd really love to see him stay at least one more season. You can't really blame the poor performance of the team on him - even the players said that.

I've met Torre..he's a true gentleman & deserves better treatment than upper management has given him

Just my 1/2 cent's worth

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
It's still Steinbrenner's team, so nobody's ever 100% done. Just look at Billy Martin and Lou Piniella. There's a slight chance that they'll change their minds about what they offerred and see if he'll come back under a different deal, but I'd say that they're almost certainly going to have a new manager next year. The announcement was made today because they plan on hiring a new manager now that he turned them down and they said as much at least twice, so I wouldn't hold your breath if you want him to stay.

Does his rejecting the contract mean he's definitely out or will they come back with another offer? I'd really love to see him stay at least one more season. You can't really blame the poor performance of the team on him - even the players said that.

I've met Torre..he's a true gentleman & deserves better treatment than upper management has given him

Just my 1/2 cent's worth

Creampier

I have to return some videotapes!
May 11, 2007
Somerville, NJ
Dude, they're the New York frickin' Yankees!! As long as they still have that core of players who was there when they won 4 out of 5 World Series titles (Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Rivera, etc) they will always be competitive. And like you said Tyson, if they hire anybody who's been within the Yankee organization the last decade or so (Mattingly or Girardi) then all 4 of those guys are staying! If not, Steinbrenner will tell his sons to show them the money. They're loyal to Torre to a point.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
Exactly. Even if they're upset that Torre's gone, it's going to be hard for anyone to outbid the Yankees on all of those guys. Cashman knows that all of those guys are very important to the team and he'll do whatever he can to keep them. At worst, I think they need to find a new 3B and even that's 50/50 right now. I can see them agreeing to an extension before he opts out so they keep getting money from Texas for 3 more years and have A-Rod locked up for possibly the rest of his career.

Dude, they're the New York frickin' Yankees!! As long as they still have that core of players who was there when they won 4 out of 5 World Series titles (Jeter, Posada, Pettitte, Rivera, etc) they will always be competitive. And like you said Tyson, if they hire anybody who's been within the Yankee organization the last decade or so (Mattingly or Girardi) then all 4 of those guys are staying! If not, Steinbrenner will tell his sons to show them the money. They're loyal to Torre to a point.

NY Sportscene

NYS=sports, sports bars and sports babes
Mar 16, 2007
Long Island
Girardi Should Be Contacted Now

A huge loss with Torre not coming back. I can't say I blame him with the front office leaving him twisting in the wind. Their best bet? Joe Girardi. He has managerial experience and is a former Yankee that was well liked by the media and fans base. They could do a hell of a lot worse, especially if they think that Tony La Rusa can handle this town.

Feb 5, 2003
With a stranger
LaRussa is apparently close to signing a 3-year deal to stay in St. Louis, so I guess he's not going to be an option, but today's news could make him think about not signing the contract until he sees how the Yankees situation plays out.

I think Girardi would be a good choice. The leaders on the team know and like him, so there won't be an issue there. He's got fan support and respect for his time here. He was a clubhouse leader as a player everywhere he played and did more with the Marlins than anyone thought possible.

Mattingly wouldn't be an awful choice, either. He's a clubhouse leader and has done a good job teaching players as both a player and a coach. He's a smart baseball guy and he's played for some good managers like Martin and Piniella besides just learning under Torre.

A huge loss with Torre not coming back. I can't say I blame him with the front office leaving him twisting in the wind. Their best bet? Joe Girardi. He has managerial experience and is a former Yankee that was well liked by the media and fans base. They could do a hell of a lot worse, especially if they think that Tony La Rusa can handle this town.

Salem

Midgets = funny
Jul 3, 2006
Buh Buh Buh Boston
One more loss. It must be so nice to have players who dont give a shit whether they lose or not. Even when the Sox are in the ALCS, their fans still cannot live through their own team. Sorry but a manager leaving a team in baseball doesnt = the end of an era.
Better than have a team blame thier horrid performance on bugs....our team just comes out and says they dont give a shit. At least they are honest. If they were paid $51 million more maybe they would care more. hmmm.....

mik3

fornicating madly
Mar 29, 2004
732 Jersey
Better than have a team blame thier horrid performance on bugs....our team just comes out and says they dont give a shit. At least they are honest. If they were paid $51 million more maybe they would care more. hmmm.....
If the Indians were paid 81mil more maybe their 2-3-4 pitchers would go 4.2 a piece.

maz

TRueWDTer
Feb 16, 2005
abu dhabi,pa.
i met him years ago
they had a series with the Phils
met Joe and Zimmer at the otb
near Veterans stadium after the game
very cordial guys

Aug 12, 2005
PA
I'm actually very happy for Joe Torre. I'm glad he finally told Steinbrenner to fuck off so to speak.