Director Tony Scott Commits Suicide By Jumping Off Bridge

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
Breaking on twitter right now. Holy shit.

BREAKING: Film director Tony Scott jumps to his death from Vincent Thomas Bridge

British film director Tony Scott, known for such Hollywood blockbusters as "Top Gun," "Days of Thunder," "Beverly Hills Cop II" and "The Taking of Pelham 123," jumped to his death Sunday from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island, according to Los Angeles County coroner's officials.

Scott, 68, climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge's apex and leapt off "without hesitation" around 12:30 p.m., according to the Coroner's Department and port police.

A suicide note was found inside Scott's black Toyota Prius, which was parked on one of the eastbound lanes of the bridge, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn.

Scott directed Tom Cruise in "Top Gun," one of the highest-grossing films of 1986, and worked with the actor again four years later on the hit "Days of Thunder," which also featured his third and current wife, actress Donna Scott. The couple have twin boys.

Known for his trademark red baseball cap, Scott also directed "Beverly Hills Cop II," starring Eddie Murphy, "Enemy of the State," starring Will Smith and Gene Hackman, and "The Taking of Pelham 123," starring Denzel Washington and John Travolta.

Scott and his older brother, producer Ridley Scott, were co-producers on the CBS dramas "NUMB3RS" and "The Good Wife." The pair recently wrapped "Coma," a four-hour, two-night medical thriller starring Ellen Burstyn set for release next month on A&E.

Officers with port police, the Los Angeles Police Department and California Highway Patrol joined city firefighters and the Coast Guard in searching the water for his body.

Cargo vessels moved at slow speeds through the east side of the Main Channel during the search, said Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Brian Humphrey.

"It's a dolorous task and we're working to treat the deceased with the utmost dignity and respect," Humphrey said.

Authorities used sonar equipment to track the man in the port's murky waters and his body was recovered by a dive team around 4:30 p.m., Alva said. Scott's body was taken to a dock in Wilmington and turned over to the county coroner.

CousinDave

Dec 11, 2007
Ohio
Its sad that he's going to be remembered for Top Gun instead of True Romance

Neon

ネオン
Donator
Mar 23, 2008
Kingdom of Charis
I absolutely love Man on Fire. Fucking great movie. He's actually made several good movies.

Norm Stansfield

私は亀が好きだ。
Mar 17, 2009
What kind of an imbecile wrote this? Spy Game was the only great movie the guy ever made, and he mentions Days of Thunder and Beverly Hills Cop II instead?

Pigdango

Silence, you mortal Fuck!
Donator
Jun 22, 2004
I drove a Prius for two years and it's a shitty car, but not bad enough to kill yourself over. Why not just buy a new car?

justifyyourgarb

You drab South Bend cocksuckers are all the same.
Mar 15, 2007
I hope this doesn't fuck up Ridley. I am going to be pissed if this fucks over Blade Runner 2.
I bet the last thing Tony did was read that script.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
What did the note say?

You know I read a lot. Especially things that have to do with history. I find that shit fascinating. In fact, I don’t know if you know this or not, Sicilians were spawned by *******. It’s a fact. Sicilians have black blood pumping through their hearts. If you don’t believe me, you can look it up. Hundreds and hundreds of years ago the Moors conquered Sicily. And Moors are *******. Way back then, Sicilians were like the wops in northern Italy. They all had blonde hair and blue eyes. But, once the Moors moved in there, they changed the whole country. They did so much fucking with the Sicilian women, huh, that they changed the whole blood-line forever, that’s why blonde hair and blue eyes to black hair and dark skin. I find it absolutely amazing to think that to this day, hundreds of years later, Sicilians still carry that ****** gene. I’m quoting history. It’s written. It’s a fact. It’s written. Your ancestors were *******. Your great, great, great, great, great-grandmother fucked a ******, and she had a half-****** kid. That is a fact. Now tell me, am I lyin’? Cuz you, you’re part eggplant.

LiddyRules

I'm Gonna Be The Bestest Pilot In The Whole Galaxy
Jun 1, 2005
This is a surprise even if he adopted a horrible style for his films from Enemy of the State onwards.

But True Romance, The Last Boy Scout, and The Hunger are all solid.

Pigdango

Donator
Jun 22, 2004
Likely it will do exactly that. It was the death of his other brother Frank that took him off the Dune adaptation in the early 80s.
Wow, I never knew that. That's fucked up.

Wait - nobody has even mentioned Crimson Tide yet?

thekidslepthere

May 19, 2004
when i wished he'd commit suicide after watching Unstoppable I never thought he'd actually do it.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
Likely it will do exactly that. It was the death of his other brother Frank that took him off the Dune adaptation in the early 80s.
Well that would be Ironic considering that death basicallly brought him to Blade Runner then.

silentbob8201

Jun 29, 2005
He was on his 3rd wife...kinda think he wasn't a shit dick.
He made an honest mistake, the guy did make quite possibly one of the gayest movies this side of Brokeback Mountain.

Lord Zero

Viciously Silly
Aug 25, 2008
Atlanta, GA
He's playing volleyball with gay fighter pilots in a better place now.