DirecTV Lease policy?

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY
Football season of '06 my gf at the time was kinda enough to install Directv into my house so I can get the package. We broke between the seasons but she left all the shit in my house. However, the week before the new season begins, she cancels it. (which I fully expected and didnt mind)
So I got a dish on my roof but I need to buy a new receiver to get the service. I go to Best Buy and get a 199$ HD one. Come home, hook the thing up and start getting the service.
Season ends, cancel the service. Which I told them I was doing and they said plenty of people do so its no big deal.
Today a box arrives at my door from them. Its an empty box with instructions inside on how to package up my receiver and send it to them. Theres also a bill for $258.90. I call up and find out that the thing I bought in a store is nothing more then a leased product which unless I send it back to them, I have to pay for.
I looked online and found out that a couple of states have class action lawsuits against this. I plan to get it again in Sept for football and think its bullshit that Id have to again spend 200 bucks on a receiver. Should I send it back or wait to see how this lawsuit thing works out?

askewcore

Why am I Mr. Sparkle?
Dec 5, 2004
edit: nevermind, i should read more carefully.

I know even when you sign a contract with them you lease the boxes though.

boardsofcanada

You're a Charcoal Briquette..ditsoon..a moolinyan
Jun 8, 2006
idk, ur gona pay up the ass either way...

Begbie

Wackbag Generalissimo
Jul 21, 2003
Wilmington, NC
Yeah, from what I've heard...you are never actually purchasing the receiver. Even receivers bought on eBay are not property of the user. I think you can actually buy the receivers, but the price is ridiculous. DirecTV has argued that it has always been in the fine print, and unfortunately, they've got a good case since they've always charged a "leasing fee" of $4.99/mo for your receivers. So, I'm not sure if the lawsuit will hold up.

But it does suck, indeed.

What is that bill of $258.90 for? Is that if you want to buy the receiver or is that a separate charge for something?

Eagle.007

Frrrrrrunkis!
Jan 8, 2007
NEPA
They never charged me a lease fee from Oct 01 - July 07. That is when I had a new dish installed at my cabin and the gave me a new receiver (they made me accept it). Now I want to upgrade to a HD-DVR and am trying to figure out a way not to have to pay for it. From what I've heard they are close to $1000 to buy the receiver yourself.

I'm guessing the $258 was because he signed for a year of service and that is the remaining balance.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
eagle, the dtv/dvr boxes dont cost 1000, you can buy them online for about 350 but you will need a new receiver to get the signal

as far as the box is concerned, if you paid for it then its yours. when i signed up the first time i purchased all boxes and cards. when i cancelled they wanted everything back. i told them to pay me what i paid and they can have it. they said no and i told them i was keeping everything. nothing happened. you dont pay for something and then have someone tell you its a lease. bullshit a lease is a rental with nothing but a monthly cost(even cars shouldnt have upfront cost if you do it right).

anyway tell them to go fuck themselves cuz the shit is yours if you paid for it.

they wont ever make it stand up and they know. that is why they try to bully people. i have had directv since 1994 and have been through every situation

Perch1019

Oct 4, 2004
White Plains, NY
I found out the 258 was the rest of the buy out for my receiver. So If I keep it, they are going to charge me that. If I send it back, i dont have to pay.
They say that the people at the store are supposed to let you know and I guess they also have you sign something which I guess I could have mistaken for signing my credit card. Regardless, its shady as fuck to sell something to someone and then let them know that its a lease after the fact. Even if I kept the thing for 2 years, then what? I pay to rent the thing and then still I have to send it back? The cunt on the phone used this line "well if it ever broke, we would send you a new one. Who would do that?". To which I replied "Cablevision rents me a box for 4.99 every month and its the same deal. I know its a lease because I didnt buy the thing." She was silent. I then asked her if she owned an Ipod and she said yes. So I asked if all of the sudden you stop using Itunes and cancel your account with them and Apple sent you an empty box and told you to put your Ipod in it, what would you think? She didnt really have anythign to say other then thats their policy.

I just dont understand how a product can be sold in a store yet its "leased" and not yours after you purchase it.

domelogic

Feb 16, 2005
Center Valley, Pa.
dont listen to them its a bully tactic. tell them to fuckoff you are the customer and they will take you back anytime. i have done this many times and never had a problem. i refuse to pay for something and then have someone tell me its a lease.

btw i purchased one dtv/dvr receiver from them because of a special they were running. everything else was cheaper on the web and i sure as hell wasnt able to sign anything and wouldnt have if i could. the dish, two hd receivers are mine and they will never get any of it.

this whole idea of leasing came about because the cards were hacked. they couldnt control it so they tried this method of bullying. now that there hasnt been a fix for over 4 years there is no need to "lease" the cards or boxes.

Sct Ptersns Twn

Looking 4 a New 1st Mate
Dec 4, 2005
Gloucestershire
I still love Directv. If your want free shit just call and complain and they give you 6 months of free HBO or Showtime or even knock $10 of your bill for 6 months. They are kinda like XM, they get money monthly from lemmings like me, and all they do is shoot a signal to your dish.