Disappointing Series / Season Finales

NuttyJim

Feb 18, 2006
I've been thinking a lot about past shows that I've watched and how I end up disappointed.

I'm sure alot of this comes from too high of expectations for a great finish to a season or show.

With the final episodes of Breaking Bad wrapping up I've been awfully worried that I've hyped myself up way too much and am going to be let down.

At what point should a show "punch out" rather than go on for another season or split seasons for the sake of more money?

Is it more money or ego that drives shows to go on for that one or two more seasons?

What shows did you end up being disappointed in?

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
I've been thinking a lot about past shows that I've watched and how I end up disappointed.

I'm sure alot of this comes from too high of expectations for a great finish to a season or show.

With the final episodes of Breaking Bad wrapping up I've been awfully worried that I've hyped myself up way too much and am going to be let down.

At what point should a show "punch out" rather than go on for another season or split seasons for the sake of more money?

Is it more money or ego that drives shows to go on for that one or two more seasons?

What shows did you end up being disappointed in?
St Elsewhere...because it was totally out of left field.

fletcher

Darkness always says hello.
Donator
Feb 20, 2006
jersey
Lost.

Because... Lost.

Oct 4, 2004
Las Vegas
As brilliant as the twist at the end of the "Newhart" finale was, aside from Darryl and Darryl finally talking, the preceding 55 minutes didn't have much going for it.

JackieImpression

Mar 25, 2013
Best:

Wire - wraps up every story, makes watching the show again even better because everything is circular
Sopranos - no one in the world anticipated that ending, with the entire TV world watching the show surprised literally everyone
The Shield - brings everything back to the beginning, irony of the ending is amazing
OZ - first serious drama that had a real ending, open ended, paved way for rest of TV

Worst:

Dexter - the last season is abysmal, the show had so much promise
LOST - last season ruins the show, go back and re-watch, it's obvious they just made shit up as they went along
Arrested Development - show should have stayed retired, new season is an abortion
Futurama - another show that went on too long, hurting its legacy, new episodes this year are painful
Entourage - so bad I can barely remember it, made no impression
Prison Break - I stopped watching after season two, don't even need to see the ending to know it's dogshit
Howard Stern Show - just fucking retire with some dignity left for the love of god

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
To different levels of disappointment:

Seinfield

Sopranos

Enterprise

Life on Mars
Smallville

Futurama

BIV

I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.
Apr 22, 2002
Seattle
To different levels of disappointment:

Seinfield

Sopranos

Enterprise

Life on Mars
Smallville

Futurama
I'm watching Enterprise now. That bad, huh?

I still don't know why Enterprise didn't catch on. Maybe it was the shitty theme song.

SOS

ONA
Wackbag Staff
Aug 14, 2000
USA
I'm watching Enterprise now. That bad, huh?

I still don't know why Enterprise didn't catch on. Maybe it was the shitty theme song.
The producers of Star Trek have horrible tastes of music with lyrics.

Many episodes of Enterprise are similar to previous Star Trek episodes. It is way too nice at first and story arch is sparse. The third season changes that. The fourth season is the best by far but it will leave you hanging with an unresolved conflict. I hope you know your basic TNG lore.

Neckbeard

I'm Team Piggy!
Donator
Oct 26, 2011
Sons of Anarchy hasn't had a good season finale since 3. They start real hot and dupe you into watching it but by around episode 7 I've wanted to quit both season 4 and 5.
The Mexican cartel being revealed as a CIA front made me nauseous.

May 30, 2013
Dead Like Me
Reaper
Jericho

RobeSoup&Tears

Get 'em while they're hot
Aug 16, 2005
Riverdale, New York
I rarely watch TV but most final episodes suck...having mentioned that, a few friends of mine where discussing this very topic and for the most part they agreed that Six Feet Under ended better than most.

Here it is...
Even not knowing the characters and story line, I can appreciate the ending.

ericd

I'm a real fucko
Aug 21, 2009
N.C.
Dead Like Me
Reaper
Jericho
Dead Like Me's ending was horrible. The follow up movie was the worst thing I've ever seen.
Reaper's ending felt rushed. Almost like the writers were told the series was ending the day before the finale was shot.
I don't think Jericho really ended. Netflix was in talks for a while about bringing it back for a third season based on the graphic novel.

To me MASH's ending always seemed like a real downer. It was a well written story arc but just seemed to end so depressingly for all the characters.

gleet

What's black and white and red all over?
Jul 24, 2005
Idaho
I remember seeing this live, even though I hadn't watched much of the season. When it happened, I said uhhh, never saw that before.