Discussion about the merger on broadbandreports.com

jackjack

It makes sense to me there would be more people for it than against it.

Those who are for it consist of a few powerful people who will make money if it happens, and lots of subscribers to both services who falsely think they will have the best of both worlds if it happens.

Those who are against are a few powerful people who will lose money if it happens, and a few subscribers who understand the implications.

Nobody else cares enough to voice their opinion.

In the end, I doubt the public opinion polls will have much weight in the decision process.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
There's a lot of people with stock in it that hope it makes them money.

The problem with that site is it's overrun by armchair CEOs. Everything turns into a long whine. Few of the most vocal have any experience in the communications industry though.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
Let's just hope that enough people who don't want it to go through have voiced their opinions to the right people. Speaking about it on a forum is a lot different from taking the time to write to the FCC, SEC, congresspeople etc.

We've also got to hope that those against have as powerful a lobby as those who are for it ... money talks.

I'm faxing a letter over to Schumer's & Clinton's offices tomorrow. Also faxing same letter I emailed to the FCC as well. Email is great but I'd like to know they've all got hard copies as well.

aahpandasrun

No longer endangered
When it comes down to it, I think most of us are against the merger cause it will put the show in a bad position. I'm not saying that's not a valid opinion, I'm also against the merger. But the reason is, is because of the show.

Kris_LTRMa

LoseTheRadio.net's Ma
When it comes down to it, I think most of us are against the merger cause it will put the show in a bad position. I'm not saying that's not a valid opinion, I'm also against the merger. But the reason is, is because of the show.
I'm against it for reasons other than the show and I think that most people are as well. Once upon a time you had Ma Bell and all the little Baby Bells (Northern Bell, Southwestern Bell, Southern Bell etc etc etc). The phone company was forced to divest because there was no competition which is why you can now choose AT&T or a myriad of others as your local & long distance provider. Same with cable - Verizon is now allowed to provide broadband cable as competition to Cablevision, or Cox or whatever the major carrier in a certain area is, and if DirecTV and Dish weren't allowed to merge because it would violate anti-trust laws and remove any sort of competition, why then should satellite radio merge?

The merger might or might not hurt OnA - it's speculative on both sides of that issue. What is not speculative is that the merger will definitely hurt the consumer. Right now, both XM and Sirius are priced about the same because they are competing against each other for customers. They both provide the same basic service with the exception of some "exclusive" programming. As a result, if Sirius or XM were to raise their subscription costs, the casual listener will jump to the competition. If they merge and become one company, they can raise prices without having to worry about losing subscribers since there will be no competition from which to choose.

Time for bed ... being logical at this hour is giving me a headache :rolleyes:

stillbornstew

blogging loser
The merger might or might not hurt OnA - it's speculative on both sides of that issue. What is not speculative is that the merger will definitely hurt the consumer. Right now, both XM and Sirius are priced about the same because they are competing against each other for customers. They both provide the same basic service with the exception of some "exclusive" programming. As a result, if Sirius or XM were to raise their subscription costs, the casual listener will jump to the competition. If they merge and become one company, they can raise prices without having to worry about losing subscribers since there will be no competition from which to choose.

Time for bed ... being logical at this hour is giving me a headache :rolleyes:
:clap::clap::clap:

QFT

What is not speculative is that the merger will definitely hurt the consumer. Right now, both XM and Sirius are priced about the same because they are competing against each other for customers. They both provide the same basic service with the exception of some "exclusive" programming. As a result, if Sirius or XM were to raise their subscription costs, the casual listener will jump to the competition. If they merge and become one company, they can raise prices without having to worry about losing subscribers since there will be no competition from which to choose.
And at it's base prices in order to own both services at the 12.99 rate you're paying 26 bucks. The argument for is if you wish to own both services after the merge, as one service the combined package won't be as much as people are paying now. Even if you pay 10 bucks for a basic plan, and add 10 more bucks for whatever additional programming and add ons it's still not as much.

Everyone here understandably is against the merger because of O&A. The average consumer out there doesn't give a shit. So that aside if a consumer wants both services they pay considerably more now, and stand to pay considerably less after. As a combined company they're not going to charge more than the 26 bucks it costs now if you wanted both.

That is the argument you will have to deal with. And to most people out there it''s more than enough reason to be in favor.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Most people are stoopid and don't understand that as a customer, we'll be fucked if the two merge. It's bad enough that XM has dumbed down Ethel and a couple of other channels to appease the maroons.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
With Mel in charge, no good can come from it. Not to forget, I don't want one thin dime of my money going to pay for Howie and company.

If I wanted SIRI, I would get it. But, they offer nothing that appeals to me.

With Mel in charge, no good can come from it. Not to forget, I don't want one thin dime of my money going to pay for Howie and company.

If I wanted SIRI, I would get it. But, they offer nothing that appeals to me.
Well that's fine. For you. I own vehicles with both. And like I said the general public doesn't care about how we feel about Mel. What the average consumer does understand that if they have a Sirius account and an XM account they pay 26 dollars. With a merge they stand to pay less.

What's happened is our personal feelings have clouded the bigger issue. To the average consumer of satellite radio. most don't care about Stern or O&A. What they do care about is they stand to gain more by picking and choosing from both platforms at one single flat rate.

Get the emotions out of it and the argument for the merger is more convincing.

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
Get the emotions out of it and the argument for the merger is more convincing.
Both company's will be bankrupt before a merger of "equals" ever happens, IMO. Then, a larger media corporation will swoop in and take control for chump charge compared to what was spent to build them.

dms964

Both company's will be bankrupt before a merger of "equals" ever happens, IMO. Then, a larger media corporation will swoop in and take control for chump charge compared to what was spent to build them.
Bankruptcy might be the best thing for both companies, with the debt off the books both could be very profitable. With a merger, they could make enough to handle the debt. Without one both companies will survive, but maybe not in their current form.
I really don't see much of an argument against the merger for the average consumer. It won't be difficult to get Mel to commit to a rate freeze to get it to pass, and if people here are honest they would admit satellite radio is not competing as much against each other as it is against other medias. Look at the amount of people here saying they were giving up XM to go with an iPod during and after the suspension. No matter if it's one or two companies, other media sources will impact the pricing structure. Where existing as one company could help is in fees paid out, you can bet that MLB, the NFL, Nascar and others are better off with this failing. Even Stern might be better off if this fails. If there is only one satellite company out there when/if he decides to reup, he loses alot of leverage. Without Sirius and XM bidding against each other, rights fees stand to take quite a hit.

Mel will have to agree to a price freeze or set pricing with the DOJ for this merger to go through - IMO. If that occurs I am not sure why people do not want this merger. The competitive market is not limited to the 2 satellite companies. They compete against: i-pod (now the i-phone also), HD Radio and terrestrial radio.

The boys will be fine as long as they are a draw, so why are people against this?

"Investors appear to be betting that the FCC's request for comments is the first step in a process that will ultimately end with the deal getting approved. Current FCC regulations prohibit a merger between the two companies so those rules would need to be relaxed"

taken from Money.com article

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Mel will have to agree to a price freeze or set pricing with the DOJ for this merger to go through - IMO. If that occurs I am not sure why people do not want this merger. The competitive market is not limited to the 2 satellite companies. They compete against: i-pod (now the i-phone also), HD Radio and terrestrial radio.

The boys will be fine as long as they are a draw, so why are people against this?
Quite simply, because he hates O&A and having him in charge again is in no way good for the show. That's the reason people on this board are against it. As far as other reasons go... He's the reason there are 15-minute commercial blocks on regular radio. He's talked about how much more attractive the merged company would be to advertisers. Reading between the lines seems to indicate that he's in favor of more commercials on satellite radio.

He doesn't hate O&A - he just panders to the biggest talents that he has. O&A are talent and as long as they will bring in money for Mel than he will welcome them. Mel speaks $$$

No I am just a fan like you. I use logic where it fits.

MrAbovePar

En Taro Anthony
Well that's fine. For you. I own vehicles with both. And like I said the general public doesn't care about how we feel about Mel. What the average consumer does understand that if they have a Sirius account and an XM account they pay 26 dollars. With a merge they stand to pay less.
But you don't need 2 different accounts. The services are for the most part duplicates. If anything the FCC should just strike down exclusivity of third party content. For the vast majority if the final price is 15$ then that's still more er month than they are currently paying.

No I am just a fan like you. I use logic where it fits.
Okay, are you an O&A fan or do you use logic?

According to Orbitcast, a third party is now expressing interest in buying XM. It's all very hush hush but speculation is that it is either CBS or Clear Channel

If so and they get, good by free speech and commercial-free radio

If the merger goes through I am excited to hear O&A go after Stern then his repsonse etc. Also, sports content will be great with a combination of both - NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB etc.

My understanding is that the merging companies have already suggested that you can continue to get what you are currently receiving with no price increase. Plus I think for this deal to go through they will have to agree to something sort of price fix. IMO.

One of the companies will probably go under if this deal falls through - probably XM because it took them a lot longerto become cash flow positive. If XM goes under than we all lose our O&A content.

I am an O&A fan and I use logic ( I know that is shocking )

Mel is not going to drop O&A as long as they are a draw. I repeat Mel speaks money - In my logical opinion

d0uche_n0zzle

**Negative_Creep**
One of the companies will probably go under if this deal falls through - probably XM because it took them a lot longerto become cash flow positive. If XM goes under than we all lose our O&A content.
And your opinion on this matter is based on what factual knowledge?

Top Bottom