OpieRadio Logo
Compound Media Logo
Jim Norton Logo

DMFD: School denied meet invite over nickname

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BIV, Mar 1, 2012.

1. BIV

BIV I'm Biv Dick Black, the Over Poster.

Read more: http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/s...20b-11e1-852c-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz1nsYmBiEv

2. Voss's Tumor

Voss's Tumor Banned

I don't understand why that's a negative... I mean, are the Spartans, Legionaires, Centurions, Trojans, etc also off limits?

This all started going after things like Redskin, similarly if there was a Washington Wetbacks or something. It doesn't pertain to everything related to indians in any way.

3. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

Wait, so they actually ARE playing Illinois, who have a Native American name for their team, but that's because of contractual obligations? Way to stick to your guns there, Iowa.

4. Konstantin K

Konstantin K Big League Poster

What about Hawkeyes? That's offensive to people with good eyesight! Glass houses, Iowa, glass houses.

5. Awful Me

Awful Me I do it.

Worst Mascot ever.

[​IMG]

6. Chino Kapone

Chino Kapone Yo, whats wrong wit da beer we got?

Didn't all of this start because other schools were using their mascot on Tshirts in a derogatory fashion? Wasn't that the real offense, because from everything I've understood, the Sioux are fine with the name, right? Hell if I know. All this PC shit is BS.

7. Hoffman

Hoffman Guess who's back? Hoffman's back

That's a good point. However; I think the excuse you'd get from Iowa would be that Illinois phased out the Chief Illiniwek mascot several years ago. Sorry, quick edit here. Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently Illinois "explanation" behind the fighting Illini name refers to Illinois WWI veterans...

8. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

I guess. I just don't see why Fighting Sioux is offense. Plenty of sports teams are named for ethnic warriors like the Vikings. Many Jewish organizations name their sports team "Maccabi" for the Jewish warriors who rebelled against the Greeks. If it was "Chief Drunka Redskin" I'd totally understand, but many of these Native American names and mascots are honoring, rather than mocking, Native American heritage.

9. Hoffman

The only team name I would deam offensive is the Redskins. NO reason Washington needs to keep that team around. Also, I missed this in the original piece when it talks of Iowa playing Illinois;

10. Neon

Neon ネオン
    Donator

So mocking native Americans is only ok if you're contractually obligated? How about they put their foot down with the Big Ten? But I guess principles are only worth fighting for when you are the one holding all the cards.

11. ih8Uboo-boo

ih8Uboo-boo (R)acist

Wonder if they'd have a problem if Notre Dame wanted to play them in anything...

12. Creasy Bear

Creasy Bear gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh
    Donator

The message this sends is clear... it is shameful and embarrassing to be a Native American, and the mere mention of any sort of Native American identifier is offensive. Nobody wants to be reminded that they're a member of an inferior, defeated people.

Which is why "Fighting Irish" is perfectly acceptable... an honor really.

13. Hoffman

Exactly. Like I said, aside from the Redskins, every other team I can think of is an actual Tribal name in honor of said tribe. The other infuriating part in all this is that when the NCAA came up with this "rule" Florida State was exempt from it.