do i move to hoboken?

Ovaherenow

ovaherenow
Oct 28, 2004
Me and my chick are looking to move into together and checked out a few places in hoboken and looks expensive. Any info you can provide would be helpful.

We found a really nice place called Curling Club which is north hoboken around 14th street.....which was a beautiful two bedroom for $2600 but required a shuttle bus to the path...which was a huge drawback. Also the place seemed dead.

We found a small descent place called archstone which is right by the path (3 blocks) but was $2700 for 1 bedroom. It was carpeted and descent place but was expensive and wouldn't quote a price and only allows 1 year lease. I read online that this place jacks up the rent every year because they can.

We also found three places (wasn't able to see the inside of apartment) called Hudson Square North and Hudson Square South and Observer Park. This place was about a 10 minute walk to the path but still seems expensive.

Anyone PLEASE give me any info about hoboken in general but especially if you have information regarding "good" places to live in hoboken or how to approach moving there.

thanks folks.

Sinn Fein

Infidel and White Interloper
Wackbag Staff
Aug 29, 2002
Florida's Nature Coast
Wow... There's no place I'd want to live where the rent on a 1 bedroom apartment is more than our mortgage. But, I know it's expensive there. I was googling the name of a friend I've lost touch with and I found that he sold his condo in Hoboken for $850K. I remember when he had bought it for like $150K about 6 years before and I thought he was crazy.

krisko

Mrs. Fuckin Funny
Jul 29, 2005
Cupcake Capital, USA
my friend lives in hoboken with her husband and baby, she seems to really like it there. i just stayed with her a few weeks ago and it didn't seem like there was anything wrong with the area (i hear people talk shit about hoboken a lot and it didn't seem bad to me) but they did pay around 200k for their 850 sq ft apartment :x

LZMF1

Semi-Eviscerated
Jul 7, 2005
Morris Plains, NJ
my best friend used to live in the building you're talking about. it is a long walk from the path but that's no biggie, if my lazy assed buddy did it you can too. as far as the place being "dead", that's a good thing. people do have parties from time to time but if you're looking for a frat house enviornment look elsewhere.

Hudson

Supreme Champion!!!!!
Donator
Jan 14, 2002
Land of misfit toys
My girlfriend lived in Hoboken and I could not figure out why..It smelled bad and the rent was crazy...only upside was all the bars..that was about 8 years ago..the rent must be crazy now.

Budyzir

There's nothing quite like a shorn scrotum.
Nov 12, 2004
Queens, NY
I was looking at condos in Hoboken a few years back, even then the places I liked were getting pricey. My guess is that today prices are on par with parts of Manhattan or Brooklyn. It's location relative to Manhattan and access to public transportation blew it up. Sinn Fein's friend timed it well and played it smart 6 years ago.

What I'm hearing now is that parts of Jersey City are now what Hoboken was like 6 or 7 years ago but, I'm not into taking those kind of risks or being a real estate trail blazer.

Rumrunner

bring back the walkover
Feb 20, 2006
Springfield, NJ
What I'm hearing now is that parts of Jersey City are now what Hoboken was like 6 or 7 years ago but, I'm not into taking those kind of risks or being a real estate trail blazer.
Totally agree with Budyzir (happy bday btw).
My brother rents close to the Grove STreet PATH (JC) and it is really developing.. I went to school in Hoboken in the nineties, loved living there, if only I wasn't a poor student. have you searched craigslist for places? My brother found his apt in JC there..

HummerTuesdays

Another girrrrl!!!
Apr 24, 2005
On the road to ruin
Hoboken *is* expensive and free parking is sparse.

Why are you looking in Hoboken? Maybe we can suggest some other areas.

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
Hoboken is definitely a decent area and its pretty safe, in case that was a concern of yours. I'm not sure how old you are, but its definitely geared more towards the 20's-30's crowd (go figure with all of the bars). Most of the restaurants, etc. are on the main drag. There are really good places to eat, but it's certainly not a huge place. You could probably eat at a new place every night for a month, no problem.

I take pictures of apartments/houses for sale in Bergen/Hudson/Essex counties and have seen both ends of the spectrum in Hoboken; it all really comes down to what you can afford. Obviously, the further from Washington street, the cheaper it gets.

Hopefully this was mildly helpful. Let me know if you want to see some virtual tours and prices of the places I've photographed, so you can get an idea.

Simby19

I want to have L'il Jimmy's babies
Aug 10, 2006
Paramus, NJ
Parking is a bitch sometimes, but it certainly exists. Patience.